I used to champion Heartland Service... now having doubts

carl.swoyer

Most states have a lemon law on RV s with an engine leaving the owner some legal recourse. However with towable units the majority of the states do not offer that legal course of action. So I am now a happy Heartland owner, thanks to Jim Fenner.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

AAdams

Well our Bighorn has been repaired, it has been quite an ordeal.

We took it to Camper Clinic on 6/6 and agreed to pay up to $500 that Heartland wasn't going to cover. They tried to get the job done by surface grinding the area and skim coating over the existing repair, then painting it with 4 colors and 2 coats of clear coat.

We would have the rig pulled out each night and we would stay in it just outside the gate.

While we could not see the previous repair through the skim coats, once paint was applied on Thursday, it became quite visible. They said they would work on it Friday and moved us out to park us. This is where more problems arouse. While hooking up the electric, a good 2 minutes after the person on the forklift got off of it, the emergency brake failed and the forklift rolled in to the front end cap. Most of the damage was scuff marks, but there was one small 1" crack in it. Well everything changed at this point. We took the unit back to the RV park that night and returned the following Monday 6/13.

Camper Clinic really stepped up here in my opinion. They said that while it was being repaired that they would put us up in a hotel, so they paid for 12 nights at LaQuinta Inn and Suites. They fixed the end cap, repainted they entire cap with 4 colors and 3 coats of clear coat. They also ground out the original repair down to the laminate. Here they found that the original damage at the factory had punctured a hole in the laminate thus allowing their first attempt to repair to move somewhat when the temperatures changed outside. They put in a new piece of fiberglass and built it up to the original level, repainted the 4 colors and 2 coats of clear coat.

Camper Clinic also did not charge us the original amount we agree to.

Some time in the next 2 weeks they are sending a tech out to our RV park to buff out the clear coat on the side and front cap.

As far as what it looks like now, with out the buffing... it is better than when it left the factory. We are quite happy with the work they did. They aren't the cheapest around, but can return a rig to better than factory when given the time.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Alan, great to hear it's repaired and your happy. As to repair times allowed by HL....the dealer agree's to this when they contract to sell HL products. Like it or not...they agreed to repair warranty things at the price HL sets. It's no different than car/truck dealers. GM, Ford and Dodge sets the times and labor prices and what they will pay for the parts. One thing to remember is...warranty labor rate $$ are less than the $$ what you pay for non-warranty work on the same item. Like it or not it's the real world out there and dealers have to play by the rules.

SeattleLion

I know that this forum is filled with Heartland apologists. I'm not one of them. My 2014 Bighorn had almost 30 issues which, eventually Heartland fixed. Most of my problems were with the dealer's slow schedule. Now we are starting our third season with our Bighorn.

The good news
The quality of materials used to build our trailer is excellent. As a result, once the defects were corrected, everything is quite good.

The bad news
Heartland admits that almost 100% of their products need warranty work. The reason is pretty obvious: The "paid-by-the-piece" workforce has no pride in their work and simply does the least they can do to get past the pathetic inspections that Heartland QA performs. Of the 30 problems we had, all but two (Dometic AC's had a bad board...both replaced) would have been easy to catch if Heartland cared enough to carefully inspect before shipping.

Customer service is great. Know why? They get lots of practice. I think it's true that all RV companies in Indiana have the same problem. All companies owned by Thor Industries (Heartland is one) are driven by Thor to maximize profits. If it is cheaper to deliver defect-ridden trailers and fix them later, then that's what Heartland does.

Here's the secret: Heartland pays its fabricators by the "piece"; so many dollars per operation completed. This gives them a fixed hourly rate since if something takes longer to do, it's on the worker's dime. The incentive is to get as many "pieces" done as possible per hour. Quality is involved, of course. But not nearly enough. They pay inspectors by the hour. Now if the inspectors got paid per defect found, how many bad trailers would leave the plant? My guess is almost none.

Normally, warranty work is very expensive for the factory. But Heartland (according to my dealer) only allows the same amount of time that the factory takes to install the item when a fix is needed. In addition, Heartland pays a very low hourly rate to the dealer. That makes dealers less-than-thrilled to do warranty work, and the work they do they try to fit into Heartland's rate book. This is another incentive to do poor work.

Heartland does some simple math to decide how to handle quality. If the cost of creating defective trailers plus warranty work is lower than the cost of building higher quality trailers, they will choose the less expensive option. Since they build the cost of all these repairs into the wholesale price of the trailers, they can afford to be very nice and accommodating to us owners since we already paid for the "favors" they give us.

This may sound cynical, but it's how the business works.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bob, what you just stated is the way warranty work prices on cars/trucks is figured out. New vehicle is taken apart piece by piece at least 10-15 times and the time to replace a part is set by a average time to do it. Keep in mind this is a NEW car/truck that has never been in snow, salt or any other crungy stuff for 2-3 years. Also new cars/trucks are designed for ease of assembly in the plant not to work on. Probably the same is true on RV's.