If you think Model Helicopters are Interesting...Apopka, FL

greg7140

If any of you Heartlanders are interested in Model Aviation, especially RC Helicopters...the second largest RC Helicopter event in the US in going on this weekend in Apopka, FL (near Orlando). This event will bring in some of the best RC Helicopter Pilots in the world. So if you are wintering in the area...and are board and looking for something different to see...you should come by and see the event!

I make this trip down to attend this event every year! Just arrived yesterday after my 20 hour drive from Indiana and the weather is awesome! :) Sure beats the heck out of Indiana cold! LOL!

Below is a video of a young man I have watched grow up flying these machines since he was 5 (18 years old now)...he is probably one of the top 10 in the world. But it gives an idea what you can expect to see, plus more if you come to the show.

I wont say my hobby is not "geeky"...but I have had fun in this hobby for the past 30 years and couldn't imagine not being around it!

Attached are the flyers for the event incase any one is interested...

TORCHS_FLYER_2014-1.jpgTORCHS_FLYER_2013-back2.jpg

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Pretty Amazing. I've been wanting an electric RC plane but I'm afraid to ask permission from the CFO. :eek:

RoadJunkie

Kudos to the camera operator, as well. I didn't think a helicopter, or anything else, could fly in some of those positions. very interesting.

Speedy

Pretty Amazing. I've been wanting an electric RC plane but I'm afraid to ask permission from the CFO. :eek:
Just use the "48 Hour Rule". Buy it and leave it out where the CFO could see it, can't be hidden for 48 hours. Then after 48 hours if the CFO says "where did that come from?" You can then truthfully respond "Oh that. I've had that for a while. In fact it was just lying around here the other day and I decided I was take it out for a while."

Works all the time for my tools and toys. :cool:

greg7140

Just use the "48 Hour Rule". Buy it and leave it out where the CFO could see it, can't be hidden for 48 hours. Then after 48 hours if the CFO says "where did that come from?" You can then truthfully respond "Oh that. I've had that for a while. In fact it was just lying around here the other day and I decided I was take it out for a while."

Works all the time for my tools and toys. :cool:

Thanks funny...I manage the distribution company that imports the helicopter from Italy that Kyle was flying in the video...we also have the largest online RC heli store in the country...and you cannot believe how many times I have spoken to customers that ask "if my wife calls in" please tell her that "Yes" I did win this item in a raffle you guys were offering! LOL...I wonder how many wives think their husbands are the luckiest person in the world when it comes to "winning" stuff!

I am truly blessed as Jenni also works in this industry. She is the Assistant Editor of the AMA's (Academy of Model Aeronautics) "Model Aviation" magazine. Which also means there is no "fibbing" when it comes to the price of these things with her...she knows exactly how much they are! LOL...But...It is great to have someone that has the same passion about a hobby as I do. It is killing her not to be in Orlando this weekend with "Topaz" and me...but she has deadlines to meet for publication.

I imagine at least a few of the members of the Heartland owners group are also a member of the AMA...

GlenStMary

That is really impressive! Some of my maneuvers might look similar to his, but they'd only last a few seconds until that thing slammed into the dirt.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks funny...I manage the distribution company that imports the helicopter from Italy that Kyle was flying in the video...we also have the largest online RC heli store in the country...and you cannot believe how many times I have spoken to customers that ask "if my wife calls in" please tell her that "Yes" I did win this item in a raffle you guys were offering! LOL...I wonder how many wives think their husbands are the luckiest person in the world when it comes to "winning" stuff!

I am truly blessed as Jenni also works in this industry. She is the Assistant Editor of the AMA's (Academy of Model Aeronautics) "Model Aviation" magazine. Which also means there is no "fibbing" when it comes to the price of these things with her...she knows exactly how much they are! LOL...But...It is great to have someone that has the same passion about a hobby as I do. It is killing her not to be in Orlando this weekend with "Topaz" and me...but she has deadlines to meet for publication.

I imagine at least a few of the members of the Heartland owners group are also a member of the AMA...

That is awesome. Can you talk to my wife and convice her to let me have another hobby. Always wanted to try RC planes.

Mrsfish

Too cool. I just bought a blade 450 3d rtf for my son for Christmas. It will be fun watching him learn those skills.

alex00

I took up flying rc planes in college. I tried my hand at the helicopters. I tried the computer rc Sims and trainers. Planes were much more my speed. Haha. What a fun hobby. Nothing like melting the stress of a long week away flying planes around.

GlenStMary

Not actually, we live on CR 125 South, on Southern States. That is in Macclenny according to the U.S.P.S.

GlenStMary

I assume you are familiar with Glen StMary, and being a submariner you probably spent some time at Kings Bay

greg7140

I assume you are familiar with Glen StMary, and being a submariner you probably spent some time at Kings Bay

Yeah used to go down to Macclenny pretty much every weekend with a group that flew large scale RC planes...

As for Kings Bay, spent most of my 25 years in Kbay...my daughter still lives in KBay and I am headed up there on Monday morning to spend a week with her. The subase has an outstanding RV park.