Inflating Tires

Holoholo

What do you use to inflate trailer and or tow truck tires? Do you always go to a service station or have a portable compressor? I have had some issues getting physical access to the air hose at service stations and would like my own portable compressor. However, the one I have will not hold the VOLUME needed to inflate truck/trailer tires to 80+ psi.

- - - Updated - - -

Just found the suggestion for the Viair 450. Will check that but appreciate any other options any might have.

Last edited by a moderator:

mlpeloquin

What do you use to inflate trailer and or tow truck tires? Do you always go to a service station or have a portable compressor? I have had some issues getting physical access to the air hose at service stations and would like my own portable compressor. However, the one I have will not hold the VOLUME needed to inflate truck/trailer tires to 80+ psi.

- - - Updated - - -

Just found the suggestion for the Viair 450. Will check that but appreciate any other options any might have.

Viair 450 is a good pump. I purchased a DeWalt DWFP55130 portable air compressor. $209.99 through the Home Depot. 200psi in the tank fills the 110 psi tires very fast. I put it in the front storage compartment. I also use it for my nail guns. For the few times I do not have 120V I use a small cheep pump. Takes a lot of time but works in a pinch.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Search/N...ir+compressor?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Another Viar450RV here. It costs a bit, but well worth it in my opinion. It is the smallest unit you can get that will inflate up to 200 PSI. Here is a link to the unit for a good price.

Rod

Steve.Twoknee

I think you might find this topic has been addressed and discussed several times in this forum! That being said, all things tires are extremely important to what it is we do.
There are many great portable compressors on the market and investing in one was a great choice for me. I have a Porter Cable that allows me to control the pressure coming out so I can easily fill a raft (high volume, low pressure) to a camper tire running 80psi. Side note; I use many different. Ryobi tools and they have a battery powered compressor that says it can reach 150psi - so I bought one for my son for Christmas. If it works (we will test it) I plan on getting one just for the camper as it's foot print (and versatility) would be hard to beat.
My truck has a 110 outlet built into it, so using my Porter has not been an issue on the road; but that is something to think about when purchasing cause if you are anything like me you don't really need one until conditions are less than optimal!
cdcb834657ff02feec3b6fdc5cf3c6e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

My truck and trailer tires all take 110 psi, so I use a 120V, 6 gallon, 150psi compressor.

GregP

Another vote for the Viair 450P. I used to carry a 3 gallon 110 volt compressor, but find the Viair will inflate and maintain my trailer tires at 110 psi without the weight and bulk of the larger electric unit. As noted, the Viair is not the cheapest option out there, but it is a good one.

Gaffer

Another vote for the Viair 450P. I used to carry a 3 gallon 110 volt compressor, but find the Viair will inflate and maintain my trailer tires at 110 psi without the weight and bulk of the larger electric unit. As noted, the Viair is not the cheapest option out there, but it is a good one.
Ditto all the above.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Thumbs up for the ViAir 450P. Great compressor. Plus it's portable. Hiked it back about 1/2 mile the other day to fill tractor tires. A bit pricey, but worth it.

ram_1955

I have a 100 psi pancake 120v. With my RW I have a generator and figure I can get the trailer to a tire place on 90 to 100 psi in a tire. I would be looking for the first tire place I could find anyway. Truck only needs up to 75 psi so I should be good.