Initial Walk Through Before Taking Delivery

Jimsryker

Well, the deal is just about done. The 2013 Cyclone 3010 will be mine once the paper work is done here shortly. I believe I will need to do a walk through and create a list of repair or adjust items and I am hoping for some recommendations or lists of things to do or verify. I will try to look at everything I can think of, but you know how nothing beats experience.

Again,, thanks in advance for taking the time to provide advice!

Jim

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Hey there Jim,

Congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to the Heartland Family! There is so much useful information and great people on this website with so much information and help available.

As far as the PDI goes, I would go through everything! Make sure you operate and get explanations on everything on the RV before you take deliver. Allow several hours so you are not rushed and consider filming it with a video recorder so you can refer back to it later! I have attached a PDI Checklist for you. Make sure you have water hooked up to it so you can test all of the water connections with pressurized city water hooked up and then put water in the tanks and check the water pump and all of the connections too. It is not uncommon for their to be some leaks at the connections, but it is far better to discover them at the dealership then when you are out using it. Also have a dump station nearby to hook up to and be able to operate all of your dump valves and the black water flush. The dump valves should all operate smoothly without having to pull or push on them hard. If possible and the dealership has hookups, stay a night at the dealership. If not, maybe an overnight or two at a nearby campground.

Rod Ditrich

Attachments

• RV Inspection Checklist.pdf
    303.8 KB · Views: 139

donr827

If you can do the PDI before you sign the papers and hand over the money. Dealer will fix any problems you find much quicker.
Don

Jimsryker

Hey there Jim,

Congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to the Heartland Family! There is so much useful information and great people on this website with so much information and help available.

As far as the PDI goes, I would go through everything!

Rod Ditrich

Thank you Hunter! PDI! I knew it was called something like that. I did not think about hooking up to city water. I am not aware of the lot having a water hook up, but the good thing for me is that the dealer and repair shop is less tan 5 miles from my home. None the less, I'll follow your recommendations here. Thanks!

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Hook up to the city water. Then hook into the black tank flush. When we first used our black tank flush, it flooded the entire storage compartment. Also make sure the winterization hose works.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim, I will give you call this morning and walk you through it. Better yet, how about we walk though it this weekend and just look around. Pat and I would come over to Giant and help you and your better 1/2.

Jimsryker

Jim, I will give you call this morning and walk you through it. Better yet, how about we walk though it this weekend and just look around. Pat and I would come over to Giant and help you and your better 1/2.

That sounds great Bob. Missed your call. I was on my group ride but as soon as Christine gets back, I'll give you a shout and line this up. Giant is expecting me today. Thanks so much! This will be a HUGH benefit!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim, I'm home now...will give you a call. If we turn the ladies loose inside...I'M SURE they will find somethings. OL' "eagle eye" Pat is good at that.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Open up the basement walls while the water system is in use. Better to see the leak at the source than dripping out the underbelly.

RaynJo

Thank you for the inspection checklist, Rod. We're picking up our 3100 (yea!) in May, and will definitely have this with us. If anyone has anything to add, or has issues they found on their PDI, please let us know.

danemayer

Thank you for the inspection checklist, Rod. We're picking up our 3100 (yea!) in May, and will definitely have this with us. If anyone has anything to add, or has issues they found on their PDI, please let us know.
Hi RaynJo,

Congratulations on your new 3100 and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. After your new rig arrives, don't hesitate to ask questions and share your adventures.

Riski

We are going to be taking delivery of a 2014 Cyclone 4100 King this coming Friday. Woohoo!!! When doing the initial walk through what should we pay close attention to? Also, this is going to be our first fifth wheel having had a tagalong before. I'm assuming my 2010 DRW, Diesel 4X4 should be sufficient. I've thought of getting a newer one but it only has 16K miles. Any thoughts?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Riski, welcome to the forum and Heartland family.
Congratulations on the new Cyclone.
You will need to pay close attention to everything. A lot depends on the dealer and his knowledge of the Cyclone and everything in it.
Take notes, or use a video camera. If your anything like me you will forget things.
Try everything to be sure that it works.
Be sure that the tires are inflated to the max shown on the sidewall.
Take notes, or use a video camera. If your anything like me you will forget things.
Be sure to check out the Heartland Owners Club. There is a one year free introductory membership available. Take advantage of it.
Also don't forget to check out some rallies. Florida has one coming up in March. LOOK HERE.
Enjoy tour new rig.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We are going to be taking delivery of a 2014 Cyclone 4100 King this coming Friday. Woohoo!!! When doing the initial walk through what should we pay close attention to? Also, this is going to be our first fifth wheel having had a tagalong before. I'm assuming my 2010 DRW, Diesel 4X4 should be sufficient. I've thought of getting a newer one but it only has 16K miles. Any thoughts?

Some items to pay particular attention to are:
- Water pump will pump water without leaking
- Fresh water system will work both on the pump and on city water (and how do you switch from one to the other)
- All water faucets work properly
- Water heater heats water both on AC and propane
- Air conditioning will cool
- furnace will heat
- hydraulic systems operates properly (slides and leveling system) without leaks.
- hydraulic fluid is full (should be about 1 inch from top with slides in and legs up
- Television works as does dvd (bring you own dvd to check it)
- Surround sound system works
- Ceiling fan works
- fantastic fan works via the thermostat
- bathroom ran works
- central vac (if equipped) works
- no tears in roof
- roof caulked around front and rear caps and all thing protruding through the roof (vents, tv antenna etc)
- all cabinet doors close tightly
- all cabinet drawers operate properly
- washer and dryer operate (if equipped)
Check windows for proper operation including the emergency exits on windows. Check everything. Don't be rushed. It is best to be able to take it directly to a campground or to the house and stay in it a night or two operating every system and then noting things that need attention. Good luck and have fun.

danemayer

Hi Riski,

Most people recommend duallies for towing these big toy haulers. Unless you have some unusual configuration you should be ok. If you want more info, visit Fifth Wheel Safe Towing, a website developed by another Heartland owner to help answer these questions more scientifically.

kowAlski631

Hi. As suggested before, do a video of the PDI if possible. We've referred back to it several times when we used the "once in a while" items. Really came in handy.

Enjoy your Cyclone.

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".