Inspect brakes...how do the shops do it?

I am in the process of repacking the bearings on my 5th wheel along w/ checking the brakes and was wondering how the rv shops check the brakes when I take it in for inspection. As far as I can see the only way is to take the hub off which I don't think they do nor would I want them to due to then possibly getting dirt in to the outer or inner bearings. Just curious.

agpopp

They either take the bearings off or they don't look. I'm in PA as well and bought my 07 back in December with an inspection of 5/16. I pulled the drums last week and the braes are like new--- as in were so far out of adjustment they could have never been working right since day 1. I Spent the time to adjust them all and inspect the bearings for a trip to FLA in 2 weeks, and I'm sure I'm the first person to have the drums off.

FiremanBill

Ageed they probably never look. Same for car inspections too.

example. When we lived in Virginia annual safety inspections were required at the cost (tax) 16 bucks a year. They were required to check all safety items including physical inspection of at least one front and one rear wheel. I have old Volkswagens and the axle nut on the rear has to be removed to get the brake drum off. They are torqued to 265 foot pounds and it takes an Ape, 3 WWA wrestlers, 2 different kinds of specialized tools and 4 men to get them off.

Never had one removed and inspected but the cars always passed and they always took my $16.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The only way to properly repack wheels bearings is to remove the drums.....period. If done properly you will not get dirt in the bearings. Just make sure you replace the seals with new ones and use a good high temp grease.