Install USB and 12V outlets inside

frank10

I'm planning to install USB and 12V outlets inside. I'm trying to figure out where to put them where I would have access to + 12V and ground.

dykesj11

I'm planning to install USB and 12V outlets inside. I'm trying to figure out where to put them where I would have access to + 12V and ground.

Lights are 12v so it’s available at all the light switches. Doesn’t sound like you are doing anything that would overload a circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wdk450

I wired cigar lighter type 12 volt outlets to the back of 2 light fixtures with their own switches, one at the reading light by the recliners, 1 at the reading light above the bed.

On previous threads, there have been mentions of new style AC power outlets that have USB chargers built in to them. You might look at this Home Depot search, although the regular outlets seem pretty pricey, or discontinued. The outlet adapters might be a better buy: http://www.homedepot.com/s/USB%20AC%20outlet%20adapter?NCNI-5

danemayer

No heavy loads

I pulled a couple switches and they have + wires only. I need a wiring diagram.

I doubt you'll be able to find a wiring diagram. Tap one of the + lines and find the closest ground. The last light in a string will return to ground. Or you can fish a wire to the frame.

farside291

Be careful of you choice of locations. I installed a pair of USB outlets in the wall of the slideout and found the outlet was too deep for the wall. I had to make a spacer for the USB outlet to make up the space. I tapped into the hot side of the light switch and mounted the outlets about 4 inches below the light switch. If you pick the wrong side of the light switch the USB plug will only be hot when the light is on. Be sure to check the amperage of the USB outlets not all are created equal. I needed a minimum of 2 amps to power my phone when using it as a HDMI source to watch Netflix off the phone while plugged into HDMI on TV. Otherwise it discharges faster than it charges.