Installed Induction Cooktop in 3010RE

Garypowell

We decided to remove our gas cooktop/oven and install an Induction cooktop (www.trueinduction.com). Even in 1996 with our first unit we hardly ever used the oven. Now with our 2012 3010RE, since we have a convection microwave, there was no longer any reason to keep the gas unit.

In fairness we did a “cook off” of sorts to see if we could see any difference in the quality of baked goods coming out from either unit. We saw no difference but we did discover that both appliances were running about 50 degrees cooler than we had “dialed in”. But both performed great once we adjusted the temperature….we wanted to try an Induction cooktop so we saw no reason not to proceed.

First we purchased a small portable induction cooktop to test the concept….and we liked the fact we could boil water quickly…small quantities come up to a rolling boil in about 30 seconds. Granted if you are cooking corn that volume of water takes a little longer to boil….but it is a very responsive cooking method. Once we knew we liked the idea we proceeded. The temperature was also very uniform. We have come to expect to turn the gas (both at home and RV) up and down to keep cooking properly…with this induction unit once you “find” the correct number (like 5 for eggs) you just set it and cook.

You can see in the pictures below:

1. The standard look we have gotten used to over our 5 RV’s. You can see the tape as I lay out how big the new unit is going to be in the space.

2. After the stove was removed (six screws) I put down tape and used a scroll saw to cut the hole bigger. You can see the remnants of the shelf that was the resting place of the stove….or the top of the drawer below…whichever way you want to look at it.

3. I had purchased a piece of the material for my countertop from Heartland. I think it was $35.00 plus shipping. Since there was a lip where the stove had sat it made it easier to do trial fittings. This fitting was after I had cut the sheet in half and with scrap pieces fashioned a bull nose to have the front piece look like the rest of the countertop. Once Linda decided exactly the front to back spacing I was able to cut these insert pieces to allow the cooktop to fit in.

4. This is a shot of the bull nose I fashioned with a drill and several #60 pieces of sand paper. I kept all of the dust for use in the splicing

5. Shows the front splice. It turns out that this solid surface material glues really well with super glue. I used that between the two pieces (new piece and original countertop). I then mixed 2 part epoxy and filled in the remaining crack. Once I had the epoxy mixed I stirred in some sawdust from my cutting and sanding. Once the epoxy was in place I poured extra sawdust on top and forced it into the crack.

6. This shows the back crack. Up close you can see it….but from a few feet away it disappears. I worked down the seam with 80, 150, 220, 400 grit sand paper. I have not gotten the “shine” back but just purchased some polish today that is supposed to do the trick.

7. This is a far look at the cook top in place. The extra bracing below is to help support the new countertop pieces and the cooktop itself.

8. This is the door that covers the hole where the oven was at. I had a door “go bad” on one end and Heartland replaced it. I simply turned the old one sideways and cut off the damaged half and hooked it a Rev-a-Shelf 17.5” wide rolling shelf

9. This is a shot with the shelf pulled out. I don’t have the handle yet but will order that from Heartland soon. I know the modified door looks a little funky but it matches.

10. This is a distant shot of the whole assembly.

11. The directions for the cook top say that it should be turned off after each use. While we were testing it in our home we noticed that sometimes it got turned on when we were just cleaning it. So we felt having an off/on button would be a good idea. You probably recognize the button. It is simply a pneumatic garbage disposal button. Very expensive ($60) but works nice…plus if there was an emergency it is away from the countertop.

12. The unit in operation. Got this boil after 30 second of cook time. Really nice. The power I took from the dryer power up in the bedroom closet. We have a washer/dryer combo so only needed one circuit. Found the dryer circuit in the basement and spliced it (the dryer plug in the bedroom still works) and then ran the wire out the sewer opening (haven’t foamed that yet) into a piece of plastic conduit that runs back to the wire loom on the kitchen slide. Brought it in behind the couch and into the cabinet.

13. I think this is going to do it for a while!

1. Standard Look.JPG2. Enlarging Countertop Hole.JPG3. Checking Bull Nose Fit.JPG4. Bull Nose.JPG5. Front Seam.JPG6. Back Seam.JPG7. Temp fit of top.JPG8. Cabinet Door.JPG9. Drawer Open.JPG10. Finished Look.JPG11. ON.OFF Switch.JPG12. Boiling Water.JPG

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Do you have to use special pots and pans. We have a number of Pampered Chef pans and a cast iron skillet. I really like cast iron skillet.

Your mod looks very nice. Great job.

BC

Garypowell

TXBobcat,

Yes, but not all that special. The material has to be ferrous. It seems that a lot of the newer skillets/frying pans are aluminum and they will not work.

We bought two new Teflon like frying pans for no more than standard and a set of Ikea pots (4 I think) for like $59. I am not sure about others but the RV always seems to get our used stuff so we figured it would not kill us to buy it something new.

The main test is if a magnet will stick, then you are OK.

I new helps too because the bottoms are flat.

One other note about the job is that you can still see scuff marks on the wood around where I sanded. Those will be fixed today.

ParkIt

From a link over thread to here: great job!
I really want to replace the microwave with a full convection (I just never use microwave features) and move to an induction cook top but wasn't sure about the wiring...if I would have to install a new line to the panel or splice it in somewhere. That was my main concern and its good to know how you spliced yours in, it would take some wrangling for me to pull off what you did on the wiring but worth taking a second look on that.

The only thing I would keep is the vent for humidity while using the cook top, the factory one isn't as nice and doesn't close when not in use so its a good reason to replace it.

Thanks for the write up and pictures :)

wdk450

I kept my gas burner cooktop in place, but bought an induction single burner cooktop on Amazon for about $70. I have the cutting board that covers the gas cooktop and the inductive unit sits on that when I am using it. This gives me the speed, convenience and safety of an induction cooktop along with keeping the gas burners for the rare times I am not hooked up to shore power, or if the induction unit quits.

I swapped in a regular Sharp microwave when my Apollo convection/microwave quit, but I carry a DeLonghi Convection/Broiler/Rotissere countertop oven with me. It is great for baking small stuff, and I like using the broiler to finish omelets, and broil fish.
toaster oven.jpg

Bill, I did the same thing. I use the single burner unit all the time...have never used the gas range. The oven is storing frying pans. I'm going to see if I can talk my DH into replacing the whole unit with a two burner top as I'm loving the drawer Gary put in. My pulse is up just thinking about it.
Now if I can just get him to put in a drawer dishwasher in the island. I'll gladly give up the drawer for a dishwasher.

Garypowell

Galtgirlrn,

other threads recently have shown Rev-a-shells being installed. After 2 years of use this pot shelf is still going strong. We use them in the house too.

I dont know know how to do it but I have another thread on site that shows installing a dishwasher to this same rig. It has also worked great for 2 years.

MagnoliaTom

Gary,

What did you do with the gas line? Cap it somehow?

I see you tapped into a dedicated plug, do you feel a dedicated plug is needed?

Thanks

Garypowell

Yes I simply capped the gas line under the bottom of the slide. There was a flexible line there and I just left in place just in case the next owner wanted to revert.

I just looked and could not find the amp draw on the unit but it was sufficiently high that I thought putting it on a dedicated circuit was the best idea. I used the dryer circuit since we have a combo Splendide unit and only needed one in the front closet. Again I left the plug in the closet so someone in the future can use it.....in fact we use it when we need an electric heater. You just don't cook and heat at the same time.

Linda still loves the induction unit.

Garypowell

It has been a while but I think once I had the line out I took it to a big box store and said "I want to plug what this was attached to". Ace is usually the most helpful for something like this if you have one locally.

PM me if you would like to talk about this project in more detail.

The term I am starting to use even in home projects is I approach things like building a tree house....preplanning to some extent is good but you always end up out on a limb and must make some on the spot decision.