Installing A Winegard Travl'r on a 4100 King

pharmafrog

Does anyone have experience with this? Where to mount? Where to run the wiring? Where to mount the control box etc...... Any and all help is appreciated. I have read the sticky on Sat systems, nothing specific for the 4100 and the Travl'r. Thanks.

Living the Sweet Life at Hershey Camping Resort right now!

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
A call to Heartland should answer your questions as to where to mount the unit and where the coax is located in the ceiling.
574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

pharmafrog

Do you have a blank switch cover in the ceiling of you bedroom ???
Do you have the 4 connections in a row in the docking station ?

Nope and Nope

I called HL and they said that there is not reinforcement plate on the roof, as it is not needed. The support structure of the roof is more than adequate to support the dish. Now the location of the COAX in the roof is another thing. It is supposed to be in the exact same position as the antennae, just on the other side of the trailer. Exact same distance from the cap and the side as the antennae. HL said start with a small hole and locate it. I hate penetrating the roof, but it has to be done.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I wouldn't drill any holes tell I know exactly where it's at. And if you start poking holes and you damage the coax you will be out of luck too.
So you say there is no cover plate inside???
Is there any lights inside in that area you can pull out and use a camera to scope it ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dlw930

When I installed my Travlr earlier this year, I downloaded a copy of the coax schematic, but it was too ambiguous about the coax coil location for my taste so I called Heartland with my VIN and they told me exactly where to drill the hole in the roof. They were right on the money. The coil was only a couple inches below the roof, so you want to be careful when you cut with the hole saw to stop when it goes completely through the roof structure. My 13 Landmark had a 1/2" backer board for the Travlr mount exactly as shown on the schematic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Make sure you run the hole saw in reverse until you burn through the rubber membrane then switch it to forward and drill the rest of the way

pharmafrog

When I installed my Travlr earlier this year, I downloaded a copy of the coax schematic, but it was too ambiguous about the coax coil location for my taste so I called Heartland with my VIN and they told me exactly where to drill the hole in the roof. They were right on the money. The coil was only a couple inches below the roof, so you want to be careful when you cut with the hole saw to stop when it goes completely through the roof structure. My 13 Landmark had a 1/2" backer board for the Travlr mount exactly as shown on the schematic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I will call back with my VIN and get the exact location. Next question. What is with the coil? Is it just the feed for the coax and where is the other end? Also how did you route the control wire for the box? Thanks, I want to have as many questions answered as possible before I start.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

If it's pre wired isn't there a control wire harness in your bedroom cabinet?
My Landmark had
2) coax cables
1) satellite control wire harness
1) 2-wire 12v wire "not used"
e26f4ce00ab4734537377c91fe8a816b.jpg

Here's the link to my install
https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?p=493740

dlw930

Mine was also as Jess indicated. However, not all coaches are prewired for the Travl'r. Originally, I thought it was only Landmarks, then maybe Big Horns. I could be wrong, but a call to Heartland would verify if your King is prewired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pharmafrog

Mine was also as Jess indicated. However, not all coaches are prewired for the Travl'r. Originally, I thought it was only Landmarks, then maybe Big Horns. I could be wrong, but a call to Heartland would verify if your King is prewired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Called HL, NOT prewired other than the COAX coils. Almost unbelievable. A very expensive product with out a simple control wire. The cost of that addition would be minimal, however, the cost of now finding a way to get that into a hidden location in the coach....Ridiculous. This indeed makes a 2-3 hour project a huge bear. Why on earth would they not prewire for a controlled roof top dish? What dish would you use that you had to crawl up on the roof and aim manually anyhow? Any one of them needs power etc.... Well they say RV'ing is an adventure...Here is goes.