Installing bearing buddies

We have a 2020 Heartland Pioneer, RE275. I want to install Bearing Buddies on all 4 axles. Has anyone done this, is there any youtube videos out there. How do you take off the existing dust covers on the wheels. Any help will be greatly appreciated

danemayer

Hi mjustice225,

I don't recall hearing anything about bearing buddies over the years, but some may have prior experience and will chime in.

Bogie

Found THIS on e-trailer site. Says you can but not with EZ lube axles which you probably have. I would guess it's a clearance issue. If you can remove the fitting on the end of the axle (never tired this myself) they might work. Maybe someone who has done this will chime in. Or, you could try contacting e-trailer for their advice on this. They may have more insight.

jnbhobe

Do you have brakes on your unit???? Way too easy to push grease out and on to your brake pads

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

TXgearhead

Yeah you can do it. I did it on a boat trailer; it had no brakes. It would be a good idea to remove the grease zerk fitting on the end of the axle. It may even be a slight advantage. If the bearing buddy maintains a slight pressure it would push a little bit of grease to the inboard bearing, and the seal.
But don't go crazy pumping up the bearing buddy so that you pump grease on your brake shoes.
I always used a medium size flat blade screwdriver to get the dust cover off. Might have to use a putty knife to get it started.
I think you would be better off to have a trusted mechanic pack the bearings now, and then again every 2 years. Carry a spare set of bearings and a grease seal.
eTrailer don't know excrement from Shinola.

sengli

I can tell for a fact that my dealer thought he was doing us a favor, before delivery of our new fifth wheel. The mechanic, I assume must have pumped grease in every axles zerk, which went straight through the rear seal onto our brakes. For the first couple years couldnt figure out why the brakes were so bad on a NEW trailer? Finally had to dis-assemble the brakes to see all this grease all over the inside of the drum. Had to replace the seals, and the shoes with like 4000 miles on them.

Does it suck beyond belief to have to pull the hubs apart and check everything every couple of years? Heck ya it really does. Its heavy, slimy work. But trying to skirt the issue by guessing whether your grease went into just the bearings, or into the brakes is a lousy gamble. Again on a smaller boat trailer, with no drum brakes....its a win win in that use to do the bearing buddys. If you over do the grease, it just pukes out the rear seal, no problem.

SNOKING

Your trailer is NOT a boat trailer! Just service your bearings every two or three years, unless you travel 10's of thousands of miles a year. If high mileage per year, you might do it each year. I have always jacked up each wheel, turning and wiggling it before heading South in the Fall and again in spring before heading back North. I shoot them(hubs) with a infrared heat gun at stops on the road alone with the tires.

Gary521

Bearing Buddy is a grease jerk and dust cap in one. You already have that on your trailer if you have the Easy Lube axles. If you don't, as has been pointed out, This ain't a boat trailer.

Thanks for all the input, and helpful advise,
I did pull the dust caps off, and yes, we do have the ez lube axles. So this morning, I went about my business, and greased the axles. Relatively easy job, my mind can relax now. 😎😎

SNOKING

Thanks for all the input, and helpful advise,
I did pull the dust caps off, and yes, we do have the ez lube axles. So this morning, I went about my business, and greased the axles. Relatively easy job, my mind can relax now. ����

Personally I would not blindly pump grease into any axle that has drum brakes. I just serviced our two year old TT with 4400 lb ez lube axles. On all for wheels there was grease that got past the seals that I had to clean up. I had never greased them, so either factory or selling dealer. I installed new seals and repacked the bearings. Will do it again in two or three years. The trailer makes a round trip to Az from Wa each year. With any where for 1600 to 2000 miles each way depending on our route.

I had to jack up each side one at a time with two jacks on the I-beam(one in front and one behind the wheels) to get a couple wet bolts on each side to take grease, when I had removed the load from the shackles.

Last edited:

SNOKING

Bearing Buddy is a grease jerk and dust cap in one. You already have that on your trailer if you have the Easy Lube axles. If you don't, as has been pointed out, This ain't a boat trailer.

Actually Bearing Buddy have a spring loaded plunger that maintains grease pressure in the hub. Again for boat trailers where axles routinely go underwater.