Insulate Your Refrigerator Cabinet

Boca_Shuffles

On a hot sunny day, I looked into the cabinet on top of my refrigerator in my BH3055RL and saw daylight in the back of the cabinet. Also, with 105 degree heat outside, this panel was very warm.

On a 3055, the refrigerator is in a cabinet that fits in a corner, with wedge shaped cabinets on each side. These cabinets are hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

By removing the panel for the refrigerator outside, I found that there is a four inch strip on the side that did not have any insulation. Also, the back of the upper cabinet is part of the refrigerator heat vent and does not have insulation.

My solution was to cut a 4 x 78 inch strip of pink insulation foam and insert this in the four inch gap. This piece had to have one corner shaved off so that it could fit in the wedge shape space. I cut the strip into 3 pieces and inserted them one at a time through the outside refrigerator opening. I applied adhesive caulking to the back of the insulation before inserting it. Since the space is small, the pieces cannot fall out and be raised from the bottom by the next insert.

Since I could not access the outside back of the upper cabinet, I cut a 24x15.5 inch piece of insulation and positioned it in the back of the cabinet from the inside. This piece had to be installed in two pieces in order to get it though the cabinet door.

This modification will keep our food supplies at inside rather than outside temperatures in summer and winter.