Insurance

svd

My polcy with Foremost indicates I have $3,000 coverage for personal items. The CW/GMAC policy allows collision to be dropped during times the coach is not in tow, like in Michigan during the winter. The policy still maintains comprehensive, fire, and theft which they tell me will cover a total loss. I don't know the provisions for full-timing.

bajaron

Bajaron
This sounds silly but when i checked with Camping world for the gmac insurance and than good sams (both are the same type insurance) the good sams was $40 less. and i only had to make one phone call as they are both from the same company. :D

I went through my Insurance guy through progressive and it was around just a little over $500 per year on our Trailrunner. I went onto Rv America Insurance, they checked with 6 different carriers and we were quoted $277 through American Modern. I am impressed. :)

We received our quote from RV America Insurance. They were $277 Annually with $250 Ded. Progressive was over $500 per year. Thought that was pretty good, just for the Trailrunner.
Greg & Bonnie from VT

SmokeyBare

I selected Insurance through RV America Insurance Company.

This Company is rated " A - Excellent " by A.M. Best Company.

We are full timing and have no home so we needed a Personal Umbrella Policy, one that protected us with personal liability insurance.

The Policy has a Diminishing Deductibles of 25% for each year no claims are made. Total Replacment of the RV for the first 5 Model years. From the 6 year through the life of the policy... if the RV is totaled they will pay the exact cost we purchased the Fifthwheel for... No depretiation. Low branch damage is covered... Hail... Awnings as well. You can select a limit on your personal property. When selecting that $$ limit... remember all that came with the RV is covered... TV's, A/C's, Etc...

The cost for our Bighorn was $ 548.00 a year. This included our full timer umbrella policy. Here is a Link to the web page of this Company.

http://www.rv-insurance-coverage.com/

Marv

J

Jim_1899

RV America is an Insurance Agency

I can not help but jump in on this since I am an Independent Insurance Agent. RV America is an insurance agency representing a number of companies. They have done a great job on getting licensed in 48 states and provide quotes from the companies that they represent.

Your local independent agent can do the same thing. I am just licensed in four states and I can write RV insurance through Progressive, American Modern, Foremost, GMAC, Safeco, and The Hartford.

Its great to get a number of quotes from quality companies to get the best combination of coverage and cost.

Tom of Ypsi

We are currently with Progressive and are satisfied in Michigan. We are going fulltime becoming S.D residents and Progressive has full replacement for the first 5 years then resorts to NADA price after that. Checking with Good Sams the full replacement value is for 14 years then resorts to NADA. The prices for both were within a couple of hundred dollars of each other. Foremost was 'nt even close

nscaler2

Who covers what?

Jim_1899 said:
I can not help but jump in on this since I am an Independent Insurance Agent. RV America is an insurance agency representing a number of companies. They have done a great job on getting licensed in 48 states and provide quotes from the companies that they represent.

Your local independent agent can do the same thing. I am just licensed in four states and I can write RV insurance through Progressive, American Modern, Foremost, GMAC, Safeco, and The Hartford.

Its great to get a number of quotes from quality companies to get the best combination of coverage and cost.

Jim,
It is time for us to renew our insurance on our BH 3055. We currently have it insured with Progressive. This was done at the time we purchased it almost a year ago, because it was easy, although it is written on a separate policy from the two vehicles. At that time and still now, we have our two vehicles, (truck and car) insured with them. They seem to be the best buy for us and our circumstances on the vehicles. However, after reading here on the forum, it appears that we may be able to get a better deal on 5er insurance elsewhere. The question, is if you have a different company on the 5er than the tow vehicle. Which company covers what and when? If you don't feel like answereing this I understand.
Thanks a lot in advance.

J

Jim_1899

You can buy your auto coverage from one company and the rv from another and you will most likely get a better deal and better coverage.

The auto policy provides coverage for the vehicle and provides liability coverage for the RV while pulling it. For example if someone is backing up their 5th wheel and hits a parked car, the damage would be paid to the parked car under the auto policy property damage liability. The damage to the Rv would be paid by the RV policy.

Be sure to purchase high limits on your auto policy. Once the limit has been paid the insurance company the coverage is over however you may have to pay the rest out of your own pocket and incur legal fees. Purchase at least Bodily Injury 250,000 each person / 500,000 each occurance and Property Damage of 100,000. Get quotes for higher limits and inquire about an liability umbrella policy too.

Last edited:

BluegrassMan

Hi All:
I was just at the State Farm office the other days seeing what changes I could make now that I'm retired (DW isn't). I changes a bunch of things around (saved $$ here and $$ went up there). For $145 per year I can get a whopping 1 million dollar "umbrella". It covers a vast amount of things, even if you get sued for Slander! I think it's a good thing for the money.

I'm now in the lowest "daily/weekly" milage bracket now. I put more miles on my HD than the car/truck.