Interesting "new" device

ChopperBill

I have the early 04 LB7 so it wouldn't work for me anyway but, what I guess I don't quite understand is what does this speedbrake do that the Allison doesnt?

I'm with you Ray. Haven't been down a Colo hill yet where the Allison hasn't preformed above my expectations.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm not hawking this thing, just found it an interesting alternative to an exhaust brake...if I ever decide to take our rig somewhere other than the flatlands. But listening to some of you, a Duramax/Allison doesn't need an exhaust brake, either, if you drive sanely, and don't try taking two-tracks over the Rockies.

Anyways, here's some info from their website as to what's "unique" about it.

With the SpeedBrake there's no competition and no compromise. This smart device becomes an active component of your vehicle, constantly monitoring and adjusting systems to achieve the speed setting you command. With its patented technology the SpeedBrake controls your transmission's shifting, locks and unlocks the torque converter and infinitely varies the V.G. turbo's vanes to hold your set speed and maximize stopping performance to ensure that you have the safety and confidence for the long haul. Watch it all happen as the PowerPDA keeps you informed by displaying important parameters and on-screen alerts you set. And... it's also an OBD-II scan tool. [End Quote]

orkirk

Tuners - yes.

If you already had the Banks Six gun with the PDA you would not need the PDA.

It is a fairly easy install, hardest part is deciding were to mount the PDA.
Running the wires down to the trans connector requires some finesse and disconnect and adding the jumper at the trans can be a bit of a challenge.

When mine worked it worked great. In fact, without a load (trailer) the brake in it's highest level is actually uncomfortable to drive with and would easily loose traction on damp roads.

There are two modes, normal and cruise (with different levels).

The cruise mode was pretty neat. Set it for 50 mph and that is what the truck did going down a hill - set it for 38 and that is what it did.

I really liked mine when it worked and really really hated it when it didn't.

Thanks for the info! I'm hoping mine installed will work great too. orkirk

Delaine and Lindy

Gadgets.............

Just another Gadget, but keep in mind if you own a Durmax/Allison you don't need any Gadgets. It comes equiped to handle what itx capable of doing. If you stay within the ability of your equipment you don't need those aftermarket and ons. But we do have choices, and its your choice. GBY...

orkirk

I'm planning on getting the Banks Speed brake for my 2007 1 ton chevy dually soon. Camping World has it w/pda for $1070 w/club discount. Can you install the speed brake with a tuner installed? I have a Hypertech Max Energy installed. I've not heard of anyone else having any problems. If it works right it will help me a lot out West next summer. Thanks for any info on this. orkirk

I found out you have to look in the fine print to get the whole story. I called Banks to get some info on the speed brake. I found out that Camping World's price includes only the speed brake and the docking station,but not the PDA. I then went online and looked and found at the very bottom of the page "PDA not included" I then called Banks back and they give me the 10% discount that you get at Camping World . Instead of the $1470 (including shipping), it ended up at $1319 (including shipping). They also have a good tech department for any questions you may have.
I guess the old saying,"If it sounds too good to be true it probably is",comes into play here.
orkirk

porthole

Retired
Banks does not include the PDA OR docking station with the Speed Brake, although you do need it to operate the brake.

This is because if you already have a Banks tuner with the PDA you do not need a second one, only an included jumper harness.

Banks also offers a "re-man" PDA for $100 less then a new one. That is what I have an it works fine.

Price wise banks is competitive with all their end sellers and beat the best prices I had on my Banks stuff along with free shipping.

The PDA is a standard Palm Tungsten, which by the way is no longer made.

orkirk

Banks does not include the PDA OR docking station with the Speed Brake, although you do need it to operate the brake.

This is because if you already have a Banks tuner with the PDA you do not need a second one, only an included jumper harness.

Banks also offers a "re-man" PDA for $100 less then a new one. That is what I have an it works fine.

Price wise banks is competitive with all their end sellers and beat the best prices I had on my Banks stuff along with free shipping.

The PDA is a standard Palm Tungsten, which by the way is no longer made.

Banks is shipping all three Items to me by mon.09-21. At least that is what they said. I'll find out mon. I can't wait to put it on and see if it is going to work. I think you said it wasn't too bad to install. I still wonder why it didn't work for you. You're the only one that I've heard having any trouble with this.
Safe Travels, orkirk

MurrayN.

I have a Duramax/Allison and I would never go through the mountains again without a exhaust brake on my truck. I scared the begeebers out of myself a couple of years ago when I first took this truck into the mountains. In tow/haul mode your trany shifts down to keep your rpm's up for some stock engine braking. This is great until your rpm's start to climb because you are going down a really steep grade, suddenly you have to hit the brakes because you are going too fast, but when you hit the brakes the truck shifts down and now your rpm's are in the red. I thought that I was going to blow the motor for 5 secs there, just long enough to shut off the tow/haul and get on the brakes hard to get myself under control. There wasn't much conversation with the wife for a while. I'm sure that more experienced drivers would have not made the same mistake but it sure scared me. I went home, spent the money and had a PacBrake put on. It has completely changed the way I feel about driving in the mountains. With my 11000 lb trailer I can coast down a 7% grade with the exhaust brake on and actually slow down as I go downhill, without touching the brake pedal. The only time I really have to pay attention is when I get into some on the 11% stuff, then you have to slow right down and take it easy. Everyone can decide if it is worth the money or not, it has sure made my holiday driving much more relaxing.:D

porthole

Retired
Pacbrake would be my next choice, looks to be the best of the big 3.

But for now I have bee using the disc brakes on the trailer more, and they work great.

ChopperBill

I have a Duramax/Allison and I would never go through the mountains again without a exhaust brake on my truck. I scared the begeebers out of myself a couple of years ago when I first took this truck into the mountains. In tow/haul mode your trany shifts down to keep your rpm's up for some stock engine braking. This is great until your rpm's start to climb because you are going down a really steep grade, suddenly you have to hit the brakes because you are going too fast, but when you hit the brakes the truck shifts down and now your rpm's are in the red. I thought that I was going to blow the motor for 5 secs there, just long enough to shut off the tow/haul and get on the brakes hard to get myself under control. There wasn't much conversation with the wife for a while. I'm sure that more experienced drivers would have not made the same mistake but it sure scared me. I went home, spent the money and had a PacBrake put on. It has completely changed the way I feel about driving in the mountains. With my 11000 lb trailer I can coast down a 7% grade with the exhaust brake on and actually slow down as I go downhill, without touching the brake pedal. The only time I really have to pay attention is when I get into some on the 11% stuff, then you have to slow right down and take it easy. Everyone can decide if it is worth the money or not, it has sure made my holiday driving much more relaxing.:D

When these trucks first came out lots of folks were concerned about them running in the "red line" when the trans shifted down. If you look at the tach it is a "broken" red line from 3200 to 4800 RPM then is turns to a solid red line. I have never been concerned with it running for short periods of time in the "broken" red line. I cant remember it going above 4000 RPM, but I haven't been too concerned after thousands of miles in the Rockies because I am sure GM/Allison factored in the safety margin. Also don't recall ever hearing of a blown DMax for that reason.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
PacBrake, BD Exhaust Brake or Banks Exhaust Brake. Which one of these are the best or is it an opnion. I don't know. I had a Banks Exhaust brake on our last truck and before I put one on this truck I want to know which one works the best. What are the differences etc. I am listening folks.

branson4020

Icantre Member
PacBrake, BD Exhaust Brake or Banks Exhaust Brake. Which one of these are the best or is it an opnion. I don't know. I had a Banks Exhaust brake on our last truck and before I put one on this truck I want to know which one works the best. What are the differences etc. I am listening folks.

The factory exhaust brake on my Cummins works best :angel:.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I really have not had the opportunity to try the tow/haul mode in mountains on the 2010 FORD F350. Since this is the first truck I have had with the tow/haul transmission how much should I expect the (engine) braking going downhill while in the tow/haul mode? I have heard various stories but what is "the rest of the story". Do I really even need an exhaust brake?

branson4020

Icantre Member
On my Dodge, tow-haul mode causes automatic downshifts when descending but thats nothing I didn't used to do manually. The real help is the exhaust brake that provides much increased engine braking in any gear at any RPM.

porthole

Retired
On my Dodge, tow-haul mode causes automatic downshifts when descending but thats
nothing I didn't used to do manually.

One of the advantages of tow modes is the locking of the torque converter, which is necessary for engine braking and something you cannot do manually.

The Allison locks the converter in 2nd through 6th.

xnman

I really have not had the opportunity to try the tow/haul mode in mountains on the 2010 FORD F350. Since this is the first truck I have had with the tow/haul transmission how much should I expect the (engine) braking going downhill while in the tow/haul mode? I have heard various stories but what is "the rest of the story". Do I really even need an exhaust brake?

I just bought a 2007 F350 King Ranch. My first diesel. I am told that tow/haul will automatically "back brake" to maintain speed. I don't understand all this yet....
But here's my question... when going down a steep grade... say 6-8%... and my rig starts gaining speed... and I tap on the brake to slow down... What should I expect from my truck? Tapping on the brake takes it out of cruise... and as I understand it... reverts it back to manual driving...
Help?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
xnman
If you had your truck in Tow/Haul and were going down a grade you step on the break a bit more than a tap and you may be pulling your nose of the steering wheel.

I use my Tow/Haul when going down a grade and not towing my 5er. I don't have to use my brakes like all the cars in front of me.

BC

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
exhaust brakes

Problems with these are many, BUT one of the biggies to watch out for is that they have the tendancy to blow rods and upper mechanics in smaller engines. It is one addition I never will put on my rigs.