Intermittent use of camper in winter time. how to keep water system safe between trips?

chet

new to camping. want to use 2014 big country at times during winter. what should I do to keep it safe from freezing in between trips.also what is the blue line hanging down with a on-off valve on end behind left side rear wheel?

danemayer

Re: intermitian use of camper in winter time. how to keep water system safe between trips?

Hi chet,

The blue pex line by the rear wheel is probably the fresh tank drain.

To prevent freeze damage, you'll want to winterize the rig in between trips.

We have several owner-written user guides that will help you through this. To get a better understanding of the water systems, take a look at the Water Systems Guide. The Winterizing Guide is a subset of that. When you're using the trailer, the Water Systems Winter Usage Guide will help you keep the water running. You might want to also review the Heating and Cooling Guide.

If your rig has a residential refrigerator, you'll want to evacuate the water from the ice maker water feed line. The Residential Refrigerator Guide will help you with that. It's based on the Frigidaire unit, but the process is similar for other refrigerators, although some of the refrigerator controls may be different.

rxbristol

Re: intermitian use of camper in winter time. how to keep water system safe between trips?

I used to drain my water heater, tanks, and run my propane heater. This is a very expensive way to keep things from freezing because when it's 15 degrees and the winds are howling, the heater will be sucking A LOT of propane.

sengli

We have camped sometimes when it was very cold as well. We often winterize the coach, and just "dry camp" with no water on board. You could use the bath houses at the camp ground. If its windy out and cold, your going to find these coaches really arent that easy to keep warm.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: intermitiant use of camper in winter time. how to keep water system safe between trips?

That blue pipe behind the wheel is indeed the fresh water tank drain.

When we use our camper in the cold months we do as sengli said above and keep a water jug in the trailer for cooking and drinking and use the camp ground facilities for everything else.

Last January when we went to Arizona, we did the dry camp thing while on the road and for two nights at the Grand Canyon and waited until we got way south before I dewinterized.

Of course, I rewinterized it before we left that campground and dry camped the rest of the way home!

We will be doing a repeat this coming February.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: intermitiant use of camper in winter time. how to keep water system safe between trips?

That blue pipe behind the wheel is indeed the fresh water tank drain.

When we use our camper in the cold months we do as sengli said above and keep a water jug in the trailer for cooking and drinking and use the camp ground facilities for everything else.

Last January when we went to Arizona, we did the dry camp thing while on the road and for two nights at the Grand Canyon and waited until we got way south before I dewinterized.

Of course, I rewinterized it before we left that campground and dry camped the rest of the way home!

We will be doing a repeat this coming February.

We've done that as well. Leave from North Texas winterized to go skiing in Colorado. First stop in the Texas panhandle, don't use trailer water, use park facilities. When we arrive in Colorado, dewinterize. Rewinterize before heading home again, unless temps are going to be above freezing along the route home. Then we rewinterize once we are home again. It only takes about 15-20 min to do it once you know what you are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roller4tan

When still among the working class, we stored our 5th wheel at a local campground onsite. We used it as a retreat every opportunity we could. We left it winterized and removed all groceries that could possibly freeze and burst. We used the microwave or stove to cook and a couple good ceramic heaters to supplement the furnace to try and keep it warm. We also used the campground's facilities. We've used a 5 gallon pail with water to pour in the commode for "emergencies". Bottled water for cooking and drinking, and a snow shovel. Some other campers got real creative with skirting and entrance ways.