Internet Connection / Hot Spots

JNS

Hello,

We will be moving to an RV park that does not have Wifi, I work from home 2 days a week and need a secure wifi set up and the park suggested to get a hot spot. Has anyone else used this for their work or have any suggestions on what is best for this situation.

Figured there are a lot of RV'ers out there that work from their rig and would have some ideas on what is best.

Thanks everyone!

Joanie

VKTalley

Hello,

We will be moving to an RV park that does not have Wifi, I work from home 2 days a week and need a secure wifi set up and the park suggested to get a hot spot. Has anyone else used this for their work or have any suggestions on what is best for this situation.

Figured there are a lot of RV'ers out there that work from their rig and would have some ideas on what is best.

Thanks everyone!

Joanie

Hi Joanie, we use a mobile AT&T hot spot (mifi unit) for our internet connection. My husband, Malcolm (MCTalley), works from "home". Like Erika mentioned, it depends on your locations as we have found that sometimes we don't get a good phone/hot spot signal and other times, it gets a great signal.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes I wasn't trying to avoid the question. We too have AT&T and I work from home -- I tend to use about 30GB a month for work, plus we have our two phones, so we are around 60-70GB. We have a mobile hotspot by AT&T called the Unite Explore. It's been working well, but we don't travel the USA. Both still work and hubby is tied to a location, but we live in our rig full time.

The best bet is to read all the info you can from that site a mentioned above, because no one solution works everywhere.

In fact, I was using my hotspot last week in San Antonio, and it got very slow. Even my phone slowed down, so I knew it was a network issue. So I switched over to using my router and onto the hotel's free wifi for a while. Typically I don't like using free wifi if it's unsecure. Thus, I have a router that takes the free signal and then rebroadcasts it as a protected wifi for my devices to connect to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastcarsspeed

I travel frequently for work and work while we are camping. I tether to either my ATT phone or my Verizon Android tablet as in some parts of the country service is different so this gives me coverage.

esscobra

depends on what you need- the usb units are better than hotspots- you can get a external antenna for them as well- is service is more critical - than look into cradlepoint- the are whats used in redbox,vending machines, police and ambulances- way better signal and constant connection- depending on where you will be will depend on what provider - I have construction companies that have the boxes in their trailer and have att and sprint sim cards in their cradlepoints and it will connect to either or can split load and sometimes combine them - pm if you need assistance- you should be able to add a sim card to to your cellular plan and can help you get unlimited data on sprint

sean.harp

For our fifth wheel (my wife and I both work remotely, so we need consistent internet access) I went with a combination of the AT&T Mobley and their unlimited plan for $20/month. I got a USB cable to connect to the mobley and park it on top of a cell phone booster (weboost). I got the trucker antenna and attached it to the ladder on the back of the 5th wheel. I cabled a short antenna coax extension so it runs under and through the bottom of the kitchen slide gasket to back behind the TV. We used 48GB the last time we were out for 10 days and we were doing video conferences and goto meetings off and on the entire time. Worked great and the booster helps tremendously with the cell signal on the Mobley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kanoa

I work 100% remote and when I am not home I tether to my phone and use that as a hot spot. I traveled all the way from San Antonio to Iowa in the truck and never had an issue and had several conference calls, (wife was driving btw.) I have Verizon on their unlimited plan. I vpn to a secure work server and off to the races. Will be doing the same thing to Virginia from San Antonio on Friday. I'll let you know how it performs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

This past December I went to fort Lauderdale to pick up my new boat. While at the hotel my wife used the free WiFi.
Thanks but no thanks!
She was hacked. The got into our bank account and changed her pin and password. Two 200$ ATM, 50$ charge on ft Lauderdale beach and a $ 1000.00 online cash advance on a card that was in our safe at home and had never been activated. Thankfully Navy Federal Credit Union caught it returned all our money.
Because of the nature of the compromise we close all accounts and reopened new accounts.
So now I purchase extra data. I never use free WiFi again

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

danemayer

This past December I went to fort Lauderdale to pick up my new boat. While at the hotel my wife used the free WiFi.
Thanks but no thanks!
She was hacked. The got into our bank account and changed her pin and password. Two 200$ ATM, 50$ charge on ft Lauderdale beach and a $ 1000.00 online cash advance on a card that was in our safe at home and had never been activated. Thankfully Navy Federal Credit Union caught it returned all our money.
Because of the nature of the compromise we close all accounts and reopened new accounts.
So now I purchase extra data. I never use free WiFi again

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

WiFi has some inherent security limitations. But even worse, when connecting to free WiFi, it can be difficult to tell what you're really connecting to. It's trivial to set up a free WiFi with a legitimate sounding name and intercept every keystroke. It's also possible to snoop a WiFi access point with free software and see every keystroke. But not every keystroke is transmitted in the clear. Some are encrypted before leaving your computer.

Your banking logon is going to be an encrypted transaction that's hard to break.

So to get into your bank account, it's more likely the hack was from clicking on an email link that took the wife to a malware site to install something on her computer. A keystroke logging program would see the keystrokes before they're encrypted and can then transmit your userid and password to the bad guy.