Intersting Discovery

TX_Clay

As I stated in previous post, tire blew out. Tore the sheet metal for the fender wheel up along with a few of the support bracket. After emailing back and forth with Heartland parts department to make sure we were talking about the same parts, (no exploded view of parts required to build a RV, you have to send pictures and measurements to make sure you get the right part)over a 2 week period. I placed the order and was told the credit card person would call me when the shipment was ready to go out. 4 business days later, I get a call that its ready to ship. Parts total $173.63, Shipping $244.39 the total cost is $418.02. It is what it is, I need the parts. Pay on Thursday and received the parts 8 days later at my house. Now the fender skirt is 30 1/4 x 120" and bent at a 90 angle to form the wheel well. When I open it up it is solid metal from one end to the other. No cutouts for wheel well, no screw patterns, light mounting holes, nothing. I have to cut the opening and cut to fit to the trailer. (BTW, it is painted black at least) Each piece is hand fitted to fit each trailer at the factory. I was a little naïve in thinking that I could just screw this thing back together in a day or two. Nope, this is going to be a process.
Well, good thing I saved all my old parts. Using them as templates for hole and opening patterns. Spent Saturday placing and drawing, checking it several times as I went along. Finally had everything laid out on the blank metal. Taking the first cut, I was a nervous wreck. Got most of it cut out on Sunday. A couple more hours work and I will be ready to fit it to the RV.

TX_Clay

I forgot to mention that the plastic fender well end-caps hold the fender in shape and create the box. Heartland doesn't carry them anymore. Apparently not used on any of the current models. luckily, I had one still in tact and took it to a metal shop and they were able to fab them for me. Yes, it was more than the plastic ones, but I don't have to worry about rocks coming off the wheels and cracking them. They are a few pounds heavier and sturdier.
Here is a picture of the old ones. The metal ones look just like them.

Attachments

• 20161002_134142.jpg
    20161002_134142.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 170

jbeletti

Clay - nice end cap replacement in metal.

A note on the J-wrap, it is purchased in 10 foot sections, already bent but as you found, not cut to fit. The reason the shipping is so high is due to the crating required for safe shipment and then needing to be motor-freighted vs UPS. Often, dealers stock J-wrap for their own repairs and will sell a section to a customer. I've heard of this many times.

But you did what you had to do. Good work!

TX_Clay

Thanks - Going to be a couple weeks before I get back to it. Have to go out of town the next 2 weekends.
I will try to remember to take some pictures before I finish cutting the openings and post here.