Inverter Generator

porthole

Retired
Thanks Duane but the 3000 or larger will be out of the question because we are trying to keep units that will fit under the 21" bedrail height of the truck. We have a quad fold bed cover and keeping these gennies under cover when not hauling is our goal. Ya know out of site, out of mind thing.

Nathan,myresponsewastotehorignalpostert

Nathan, my response was to the original poster.

For your needs, the twin 2000's sound like it will work.
As to other brands - only a call you can make. My Honda is now about 13 years old. Still starts the same as day one, 1 pull to prime, 1 pull to start, doesn't matter how long it sits.

I had Honda 2000's available to use before I bought the 3K.
A single 2000 would run the 13.5 AC in my TT, but the the smaller gen gets louder as you start running near capacity.
Two 2000's in parallel will give 4K and run a single AC and some other small loads.

The 2000's have a .9 gallon fuel tank if IIRC, you will be filling them a lot.

You can get kits that will connect the two 2000's via the gas cap and then feed off a marine fuel tank, such as a portable 6 gallon boat fuel tank (plastic)

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We had a Tonneau cover on a previous truck which sat slightly above the bedrail, giving more clearance underneath. The current cover is a factory install and sits flush with the bedrail, losing about 2 inches. The measurement from the bed to the bottom of the cover is like 20.3/4". Alot of the 2000 units heights runs around 19" which will work great. Plus sometimes only one unit might be needed depending on what we are doing at that time.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Duane for your help and info.

brianlajoie

I bought a pair of Generac IQ2000's from Cabela's. I bought the parallel kit from Northern Tool. I bought the 30 amp dog bone adapter from Amazon.

I like the point that the two inverters are more up to date technology wise. They are a little quieter. The parallel kit is plug and play. The warranty is 3 years. The web site has the unit as designed and built in the USA. Closer than other models to our likes.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks for the info brianlajoie. Will check out the specs on it.

ksucats

we had two Honda 2K Inverter with the patch cord. Worked great until this past year when the two of them didn't have enough umph to start the AC compressor. However, they were going on 10 years old as was the A/C. Easy fix - coach to repair shop and they replaced the 'starting capacitor (as I recall them calling it) on the A/C. Hot Saturday the following weekend and the generators and A/C worked superbly. I'm a firm believer in the Hondas.

With two you actually only have 3200 watts not 4000 of power (Honda spec page shows 2000W Max, 1600W (Rated) for each). The 3000i is actually 3000W Max and 2600W Rated. With the twin Honda setup you do have the option to only run one of them when all you need are lights, TV, etc. And they sip gasoline when on economy mode!

sengli

So far everyone is saying inverter generator. Are the onan series that gets installed from the factory inverter types?

danemayer

So far everyone is saying inverter generator. Are the onan series that gets installed from the factory inverter types?
I don't see where Onan uses the term "inverter generator". Also, they don't describe the output being converted from AC to DC and back to AC. And I don't see a claim of pure sine wave output.

But they do say that the power is digitally regulated, and that it's clean for computer use. So maybe they just choose to use different terms.

porthole

Retired

This thread is more about portable generators of which there are a couple of brands of "inverter generators", Honda probably being the most popular despite being the most expensive.

The factory offered Onan gensets are all standard non inverter generators - for now.
Onan does make an inverter diesel generator for RV use and the smallest version does seem to be a replacement for the current Onan 5500 series. Though being diesel and an inverter type, it is quite a bit more money.

The diesel version offers liquid cooling, could be a plus depending on how you feel about that. They are about 140 pounds heavier and a few inches bigger all around. And the 8.0 version offers a full 66 amps.

Desertsky

I have a 3100 Champion and can run 15000 A/C. Will not run any other hi amp loads at same time.

I am returning mine to Costco as it won't even start the AC by itself. Goes into overload in 1/2 second. BTW, I am at 5500 ft elevation but even derating it for elevation it should still have plenty of power. Just doesn't. And Champion tech support doesn't seem to care. Just told me to get a 4800W unit!

avvidclif

Try it on another AC. I just went thru this with a friend and his new Champion Model 100261 (3400W). It wouldn't start his 13.5k AC on his new RV. Plugged it into mine and it started my 15k without a problem, something in mine was drawing abt 4 amps according to the EMS before starting the AC. Nothing else on in his rig. He called the mfg of the RV and he said he might as well have called Bed, Bath, & Beyond. Clueless. The response he got from Champion was worse than you got, they told him he had other stuff running. He had all the breakers off except for the AC, it ain't his first rodeo. Clueless mfg and Champion warranty center didn't care.... Sheesh

Try it on another AC. I just went thru this with a friend and his new Champion Model 100261 (3400W). It wouldn't start his 13.5k AC on his new RV. Plugged it into mine and it started my 15k without a problem, something in mine was drawing abt 4 amps according to the EMS before starting the AC. Nothing else on in his rig. He called the mfg of the RV and he said he might as well have called Bed, Bath, & Beyond. Clueless. The response he got from Champion was worse than you got, they told him he had other stuff running. He had all the breakers off except for the AC, it ain't his first rodeo. Clueless mfg and Champion warranty center didn't care.... Sheesh

Hahaha.......I thought that sort of thing only happened to me 😜 I swear a five year old kid knows as much as most of these people answering the customer service phone 🤦🏻*♂️

aRAYwego

We use the WEN 3100w and 2000w used in parallel. Easy plug n play parallel cord by WEN and can run 2 a/c's if needed. I can also just use the 2000w if no a/c is needed. Have had zero issues with the pair of them, always 1st or 2nd pull. Wouldn't hesitate to purchase them again. IIR they also had a remote start option for a few bucks more. Just my .02 worth.