Inverter install with generator

muzhunter

I have a 2016 BigHorn 3010re, It has a onan LP 5500 gen.. also 200 W solar to keep batteries charged up

I believe it was factory installed, I bought the unit used.

I want to install a inverter. Just want to be able to watch TV/video and charge a phone or 2. 1500W big enough. I think so.

Wiring help please? Do not want to create a loop where the converter and inverter are conflicting each other.

Suggestions please

Thanks Muz

LBR

I continued to use the factory PD9280, then added the Charge Wizard for manual control in charging the lithium battery bank.

Then installed a 3000W inverter and 50A transfer switch. Currently we have to shut the converter breaker off manually when switching over to the inverter....kinda a pain now until I get around to finish wiring it to shut the converter off automatically.

Your other very popular option is to not use the factory converter, and get a new converter/inverter combination.

6.7LMegaCab

See my post where I added an inverter. I added an updated diagram. If you get one with a built in transfer switch, you must ensure it is rated to handle the same amount of power (30 or 50A) if you want to run it directly through your main panel.

I just installed a 1000W inverter with a transfer switch, but it can only handle 15A, so I couldn't install it directly to one of the busses on the main panel. I had to install a sub panel. I disconnected the lines I wanted to run via the inverter from the main panel and ran those to a sub panel. I then ran a 14/2 line from one of the now open breakers on the main panel to the inverter AC Input and ran a 14/2 from the AC out of the inverter to the sub panel. I can now run those two circuits on either battery or shore/gen power.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

jbeletti

I have a 2016 BigHorn 3010re, It has a onan LP 5500 gen.. also 200 W solar to keep batteries charged up

I believe it was factory installed, I bought the unit used.

I want to install a inverter. Just want to be able to watch TV/video and charge a phone or 2. 1500W big enough. I think so.

Wiring help please? Do not want to create a loop where the converter and inverter are conflicting each other.

Suggestions please

Thanks Muz

Muz - I'm pretty sure the solar panels we're likely added by the previous owner as I don't think Heartland began installing panels until very recently.

To your questions - just my opinions here...

Is a 1500 watt inverter large enough to run a TV and phone chargers?
Yes, it's likely to be quite adequate. Take a look at the back of the TV to find the decal with the power rating. If shown in amps, multiply that times 120 for watts. Bear in mind that typically, inverter power output ratings can mean "surge" power, not continuous. Take a look at the inverter you want to use to find out what it's rated "continuous" output rating is.

Wiring Help?
Typically...
- Panels > Solar Charge Controller > DC power bus
- DC power bus > Inverter > AC loads
(missing above are circuit protection devices - fuses, breakers, switches...)

Inverter / Converter Conflicts?
If you plan to power your entire AC load center (all branch circuits), simply turn off the breaker for the converter when you are off-grid and using solar/battery/inverter. In this manner, you won't be inverting battery power to run the converter to convert AC power back to battery power :)

Other comments
Battery Bank: It needs to be sized appropriately to the load you will put on them and for the duration you need the loads to operate.
Battery Charging: When off grid, think about how you will recharge your battery bank as you drain it with inverter usage. A 200 watt panel is likely fine for a single battery but if you plan to increase your battery bank size, you will need more solar to recharge it. Alternately, you could recharge using a generator or even vehicle alternator charging. And of course, plugging into shore power.

Have fun designing a system to fit your needs. Keep researching, asking questions and making notes.