Inverter (Not Converter)

bwc1950

Will Heartland, and specifically Big Country begin offering a factory installed Inverter option? With the exception of 12V lights, it seems that everything else is 120V, ie HDTV x 2, satellite receivers, VCR/DVD players, Microwave, cell phone, computer, tablet chargers, coffee pots, etc. When dry camped in areas where there are quiet hours, you are unable to use the generator and therefore lose the TV's, CPAP machines, or any other item that runs on 120V at or earlier than 10pm. Factory installed or pre-wired also puts in the correct power panel separating the electricity to all or inverter only circuits and usually includes a power management system. It would be a very beneficial option to those of us that dry camp often.

brianharrison

I believe the new residential refrig option adds a 1000W inverter. Not sure if they have tied anything else into the output - someone with that model will have to chime in.....

It is offered on the Landmark for sure - may be able to be added to the Big Country? A call to HL Customer service (or Jim B can chime in) would confirm. Here is a link to Jim's original thread.

EDIT - Post talking to BH and BC line.

Brian

scottyb

Will Heartland, and specifically Big Country begin offering a factory installed Inverter option? With the exception of 12V lights, it seems that everything else is 120V, ie HDTV x 2, satellite receivers, VCR/DVD players, Microwave, cell phone, computer, tablet chargers, coffee pots, etc. When dry camped in areas where there are quiet hours, you are unable to use the generator and therefore lose the TV's, CPAP machines, or any other item that runs on 120V at or earlier than 10pm. Factory installed or pre-wired also puts in the correct power panel separating the electricity to all or inverter only circuits and usually includes a power management system. It would be a very beneficial option to those of us that dry camp often.

I can't say whether it is in the works or not. As long as they use high end inverters and add enough storage capacity to make it worthwhile, maybe. There are quiet a few people on here that have added inverters to their rigs to varying degrees. My experiment started with changing my single 12V to 2 6V batteries and I am now adding 2 more 6V for a total of 450 Ah. I started with a inexpensive MS inverter and the 2 6V batteries but am going to upgrade to a high end inverter/charger. I could run the 50" TV and Dish receiver, for a couple hours before bed, then run small fan over night. In the morning I could not use the drip coffee maker with only 2 batteries. I installed a dedicated recepticle on the end of the BR dresser and run a 12 bottle wine cooler with it and it works great, but I probably can't go 24 hours w/o charging.

porthole

Retired
Inverters can be done 3 ways. Inexpensive, barely adequate and something that will do what you need, wired correctly and with quality components.

The last option makes me think Trace and Xantrex Freedom units would not be offered.

bwc1950

I agree Porthole, do it right the first time.... 1800 watts is the minimum I would go, especially with a residential fridge... 1000 watts probably won't run a coffee maker or a microwave....the number of batteries is subjective....two dedicated batteries would be my minimum without the residential fridge.... with two batteries, you would definitely be charging them everyday while dry camped...Also, I would guess, and by the HL reps comments, the fridge circuit would be dedicated to the fridge only and if you wanted to run the other 120v products, you would have to do some circuit panel rewiring....why not do all the wiring at the factory as an option....