Inverter Selection

scottyb

Alex, that looks like a great plan. I can't wait to see how well the solar does to keep them charged. What made you decide on the 2012 instead of the 2812?

Brian's install is what made me decide to get an inverter. I just had to build my carport first, so the inverter will come later. I think he filled the slot of the 4 thin breakers with the 2-pole 30A to feed his inverter. Also, the manual states that you should not install the inverter in the same compartment as the batteries. Of course if the box is well sealed and vented, it isn't really the same compartment. Most motorhome installations do not use battery boxes, therefore the need to separate them.

brianharrison

2/0 instead of 4/0? I didn't know what it was called, but the class T was what I was thinking of.

I've read over your install page. It was very helpful. When you reused the breakers, what did you use to cover or fill the holes in the main left by the missing breakers? Your inverter install is what I am shooting for. Thank you!

There was no spaces left in the main AC panel - dual 30A feed to the inverter (two hots in to inverter) takes up two slots (one of L1 and and one on L2 in the panel), and I relocated two duplex breakers (two breakers on one slot) for a total of 4 circuits to the sub panel. I have the BR style breakers, I relocated a BR2015 and a BR1515.

Hope this helps.

alex00

Alex, that looks like a great plan. I can't wait to see how well the solar does to keep them charged. What made you decide on the 2012 instead of the 2812?

Brian's install is what made me decide to get an inverter. I just had to build my carport first, so the inverter will come later. I think he filled the slot of the 4 thin breakers with the 2-pole 30A to feed his inverter. Also, the manual states that you should not install the inverter in the same compartment as the batteries. Of course if the box is well sealed and vented, it isn't really the same compartment. Most motorhome installations do not use battery boxes, therefore the need to separate them.

The only reason I chose the smaller inverter is because of efficiency. This will usually only be powering a TV and blu ray player or two. Occasional coffee in the morning and a few zaps of the microwave. I thought about the 2812 but realized I'll likely not even put the 2012 through its paces.

Glad to know I'm on the right track with this setup though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

alex00

There was no spaces left in the main AC panel - dual 30A feed to the inverter (two hots in to inverter) takes up two slots (one of L1 and and one on L2 in the panel), and I relocated two duplex breakers (two breakers on one slot) for a total of 4 circuits to the sub panel. I have the BR style breakers, I relocated a BR2015 and a BR1515.

Hope this helps.

That helps a lot. Thank you. I'd rather RE use breakers than leave empty ones in the main. I wasn't even thinking about duplex vs singles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

brianharrison

That helps a lot. Thank you. I'd rather RE use breakers than leave empty ones in the main. I wasn't even thinking about duplex vs singles.

I have more pictures of the sub panel on my home computer, as well as the make/model - I'll forward that info tonight. I did find one that I could re-use the BR stye breakers.

Take care,B
rian

alex00

I have more pictures of the sub panel on my home computer, as well as the make/model - I'll forward that info tonight. I did find one that I could re-use the BR stye breakers.

Take care,B
rian

I'd really appreciate the info on the sub panel. Thank you.

alex00

I just ran across this. It is two panels in one and looks like it should fit in the space of the original panel. It can be configured as 50/30, 50/50, or 30/30. Progressive Dynamics PD5500 Series AC Distribution Panel

That is a cool find! I didn't see it, but I wonder if the current breakers will work in that panel, or if they use a different style. That would be really slick to have it all in one place, and keep the "rv look" to the panel. Not that looks matter behind the basement wall...

scottyb

I think the thing that I like most is if it will fit in the same space, have access to the breakers, and not have to re-route wiring to another location.

alex00

I think the thing that I like most is if it will fit in the same space, have access to the breakers, and not have to re-route wiring to another location.

That's a huge plus. It looks like it was $70 at the one online vendor I found. Not bad at all considering most of the sub panel boxes I saw were almost that much.