Inverters.... what Size, Brand and Type do You use?....

centerline

I and my travel buddies all installed solar on our rigs, which has been the single best upgrade that could ever be done to a boondockers rig.... now we want to install inverters to be able to use more of the power potential of our solar grids..

I dont fully understand what I need yet though... ive been looking at the (hybrid?) inverters that can be installed so that it will automatically transfer the power as needed, when on batteries or shore power...

im familiar with victron and xantrex, but im looking for information on what other brands seem to be good Invert/ATS units, and what options it may have...

suggestions and advice are encouraged:)... Thank you

TrailCreek

I don't have solar but did go with a Magnum Energy 3000 inverter with 6 Battleborn 100 amp LI batteries in 2020. Our goal was to provide power for an AC while traveling. We wanted our cats to ride in the front bedroom to be more comfortable than cramming them in cages in the truck back seat. It did the job for up to 7 hours, which is all we ever usually traveled.

"Loads" of other benefits, but that's not your question. The Magnum Energy 3000-watt unit we picked powers both legs of the panel. We hooked it up in place of the generator. Added the battery monitor and inside controller options. I understand some now offer an app for your phone and wifi capabilities to monitor power status remotely. That would be something we would have done if available, but we found a workaround with other systems that would let us know if power was out when we weren't home.

I've had two major issues. Battleborn was exceptionally helpful and basically walked me through the installation process, and the initial recommendation was to use 1/0 copper wire. Our first trip almost ended in disaster as the wires got so hot that you couldn't touch them. The BMK battery monitoring kit shut everything down before it caught fire. Cats had to ride in the truck for a week until we were stopped long enough for me to replace the wires. After talking with the Magnum Energy folks, I upgraded to 4/0 copper and never had another issue with hot wires. I made the first set of wires but bought a custom built package of the 4/0 wires from a solar supplier cheaper than I could have made them.

The second issue was the inside controller that seems to lose programming and, to this day, can't give a battery status. I would go with Victron now, but back then, they didn't have the option of one inverter supplying both legs of the panel. If I remember correctly, I would have needed two Victron units. The inside controller/battery monitoring problem is the only issue I've had with our ME system that makes me suggest the Victron unit. It may have similar issues but was the only other option I was considering back then.

Oh, we had a metal fabricator build a heavy-duty mounting rack for the inverter. This inverter is HEAVY, and if I had mounted it on a bulkhead or anything wood, our lovely highway system would have torn it down. The rack they made was 2" aluminum angle with an H pattern base and top to let me lag it to the roof and floor of the basement compartment. I took down the rear bulkhead to make connecting batteries and the inverter to the generator side of the RV transfer switch. I found enough room back there to line up the batteries side by side in that space and only had to slightly modify the bulkhead wall to fit around the inverter. Overall, even with the two issues, I am pleased with the inverter system. Great addition to our RV.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

The first inverter we had was the factory installed Magnum 1000-w inverter for the residential fridge, only. It operated off of the 2-12 Volt batteries.
When we had solar installed September 2022, we had 2-Victron 3000-W inverters installed. Each powers a leg in the breaker box.

The Magnum 1000 did a great job, as a matter of fact, I sold it to another Heartland Owner, who has it installed in his rig for the residential fridge.