Is height a concern with the Bighorns?

CT1001

Hi,

I'm slowly closing in on retirement and one possibility I'm considering is going fulltime in an RV for ~5 years or so. There's many areas out west that I've never seen and would really like to take some time and see that part of the country.

Here's my question: I really like the Bighorn models (particularly the 3270RS). However, the height of 13' 3" concerns me (as far as hitting low structures, tree branches, etc.). Is this something I should be concerned with or am I blowing it out of proportion, especially since I would primarily be in the west and Midwest?

BTW, my experience has been with TT's and Class C's. Also, I'm 6'1" tall, so a mid-profile 5th wheel is a possibility, but I don't want to be banging my head.

Thanks for any help!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Based on the 1,000's of fifth wheel trailers sold and on the road I don't think that height is a reason to not buy one.
Obviously a person has to be mindful of their environment so driving around without looking up is a no-no.
There are phone apps as well as RV specific GPS units that will give low clearance bridge locations.
I believe that there is a truckers atlas that provides low bridge information as well.
Height is not a problem for me.

Peace
Dave

Peace
Dave

pegmikef

I too was concerned and 25K miles and almost three years later I am still concerned. As Dave said, you have to always be aware of any potential low hazards. When planning trips to state, national, and corps parks I always try to look them over using google maps satellite view. I also use a data base of low clearances in conjunction with Microsoft's Streets and Trips when planning my routes. the database can be obtained at the following link for software programs and selected GPS devices.

http://lowclearances.com/

sengli

Low hanging branches at different sites are the biggest thing to watch for. We always pre-screen a camp site based on the over hanging branches as well as the site size. Again always be mindful on the fact you are as high as a semi trailer, where ever you go.

danemayer

With a mid-profile, at 6'1" you'll be doing some ducking.

With a full profile, you do have to watch out for neighborhood trees that rarely get trimmed, low clearances on your route, and low hanging campground tree branches.

There are many, many thousands of full profile RVs on the road. It's perfectly manageable.

CT1001

Thanks everyone! I figured I was worrying too much about it, but I'd rather know now than later. If I were only using it on weekends, I might go with a mid profile model (maybe a Sundance), but since it will be my full time home for several years, I want something that I feel comfortable in. Also, my plan is to stay in places for several weeks at a time between moves and only travel a few hundred miles between stays, so my guess is that comfort and livability will be the number 1 priority.

Thanks again for your help and I'll post more as I make more progress in the process.

Tim

Last edited:

kowAlski631

We watch for low branches in campgrounds and double check tunnel and overpass heights on any secondary roads. Interior height isn't a problem for our 6'3" - 6'5" kids & grandkids.

CT1001

Thanks Paul and Martha - I do think I'll be much happier with a Big Horn. If your kids and grandkids at up to 6'5" don't have problems, then I should be happy.

Tim

Westwind

For piece of mind another thing I would do is "Measure your FW" after purchase, the reason being is as you know already knowing how high you actually are, hitched up might come in handy some day. Always expecting the unexpected is a good rule to go by when towing a trailer.

mlpeloquin

It is a concern. I have a GPS that does rout around and warn of low overpasses. Pay attention to the posted clearance. I added one inch to my height. I know my height because I measured it. Don't trust the specifications. I added air lift to my truck and now a new Trail Air Flexair king pin. I had to lower the hitch in the truck bed, but my height stayed the same. I went under a sign with a posted height of one inch higher than my rig. No problems, but I sure did crawl under it! Where I was I didn't have much choice. I also drive in the center of the road in my neighborhood to avoid the trees. So far so good.

CT1001

Thanks Marc and Carol. I spent yesterday giving it a lot of thought and researching travel trailers (primarily Airstream) and I ended up right back at the same place for me and full timing - a Big Horn. As you (and others have said), I'll just have to use the proper discretion and tools that are available. I do think that it's a bigger deal in my mind that it is in reality.

Thanks again to everyone that has responded - it's helped a lot.

Tim

JanAndBill

At least you will be cautious from the start. I've heard of others who have driven down the same streets they did with their previous rigs not thinking about the additional height, and stripped the A/C units off. Overpasses, and limbs don't worry me as much as I can see them. Telephone lines though are notoriously low, and hard to see. Our trucks caught many of them while making local deliveries. Which is why I avoid side streets when towing.

TxCowboy

An interesting topic. One of my local San Antonio television stations ran an article last week about bridge clearances on the local interstate highways. It seems that, over the years, many highways have been repaved several times over but no adjustments have been made to the clearance signs.

The television showed several different areas where clearance signs read over 15 feet but 18 wheelers were clearing the undersides of the bridges by only a couple of inches. There should have been more than 12 inches of clearance under those bridges, according to the news article.

Just more food for thought. :)

CT1001

Jan and Bill - I've been looking at wires and tree limbs in my area and I know I would hit a few limbs (many on the right side of the fifth wheel up high) and some of the wires look really close. I do live in an area that takes pride in a lot of trees and I have never seen a place like this that doesn't trim them back. I'm guessing once I'm out of the Northeast, it might not be quite as bad in a lot of states. But here, I wouldn't even try to take a Big Horn down the street. If I do buy one, I'll probably buy in Texas (or maybe Indiana) and start the trip from there.

TxCowboy - Wow, that's really scary. I'm more worried about some of the secondary roads, but I guess it could be an issue anywhere.

JanAndBill

Jan and Bill - I've been looking at wires and tree limbs in my area and I know I would hit a few limbs (many on the right side of the fifth wheel up high) and some of the wires look really close. I do live in an area that takes pride in a lot of trees and I have never seen a place like this that doesn't trim them back. I'm guessing once I'm out of the Northeast, it might not be quite as bad in a lot of states. But here, I wouldn't even try to take a Big Horn down the street. If I do buy one, I'll probably buy in Texas (or maybe Indiana) and start the trip from there.

TxCowboy - Wow, that's really scary. I'm more worried about some of the secondary roads, but I guess it could be an issue anywhere.

Had a truck take down a low phone line across a city street one time. Pulled the insulator out of the house the wire went to, which then sailed all the way across the street, leaving a LONG scrape up the hood of a late model Jaguar before shattering the windshield of same. Police on the scene told the owner of the Jag to contact the phone company.

TXCowboy - that issue was a constant problem, especially on over dimensional shipments. Not even the states could give you an accurate route sometimes.

CT1001

Still looking and researching this issue. Looks like most mid-profile fifth wheels are only about a foot lower than full profile models; I'm not sure that's enough to make much of a difference. Maybe a few more tree limbs that would get missed? It looks like even shorter height fifths would still hit many of the lower structures.

mlpeloquin

At least you will be cautious from the start. I've heard of others who have driven down the same streets they did with their previous rigs not thinking about the additional height, and stripped the A/C units off. Overpasses, and limbs don't worry me as much as I can see them. Telephone lines though are notoriously low, and hard to see. Our trucks caught many of them while making local deliveries. Which is why I avoid side streets when towing.

There was a guy and his wife with a brand new Landmark two years ago. He must have never pulled a trailer before. He creamed the drivers side going very fast around a left turn against a large tree getting into the RV park. He actually cut the corner short. Several of the windows were damaged along with the paint and fiberglass. A guy that saw the other side said the passenger side was worse! So if you never have towed a long trailer or fifth wheel, go slow around corners and do not cut them short. Before I turn I go straight as far as I can then turn. I have never clipped a curb or tree.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I recall one of our first trips, we were leaving our small town down a minor street through town, the quickest way to get from our neighborhood to the interstate. We heard a "whap!" Sound, slowed down for a second, but thought we just hit a branch. When we got to our next stop, low and behold, we had a small hole knocked out of the corner of the shroud on our front AC. We no longer traveled that road through town, unless we drove more toward the center. The city did eventually trim trees back since it was supposedly a truck route.

I'm always conscientious of trees as we travel, and often exclaim, "trees!" When we are nearing anything that looks too low. You just have to be aware and careful, that's all you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CT1001

The trees are so low in my neighborhood (southern Connecticut) that I would probably have a dozen holes in my air conditioner (if it didn't get knocked off) just going a few miles. If I do decide on a fifth wheel when I retire, I plan to sell the house and travel to another state to buy the truck and fifth. There are places in New England that would probably be fine, but I also know of several very low bridges close by and sometimes I'm not even sure the SUV is going to make it (especially with snow and ice on the road).

Arrgh - decisions, decisions.

JanAndBill

The internet is full of pictures of others "miscalculations". The first maybe, the second nope, and the third??????? Can you imagine what he told the insurance company LOL
clearance.jpgGPS-Routed-Bus1.jpglkuk66-lkuk4bggrvinhome3web.jpg