Is height a concern with the Bighorns?

CT1001

On that third one, I wondered if he was still kicking in order to tell the insurance company anything! Those kind of photos give me the willies - have to stop looking at them or I won't go anywhere in anything bigger than a Honda Civic.

At some point, I'll take some photos of the low bridges we have around here an post them. I haven't seen any collisions, but I don't see many big fifth wheels either.

Geodude

We measured the actual height of our Bighorn and it's 13'5". We encountered a bridge showing the same clearance last summer, so there was a bit of puckering there. Later, I wrote to the Ministry of Transportation Ontario (MTO) and the told me bridges in the province show "as measured" clearances, and they are measured anytime anything changes. They also provided me with the two rounding factors they use, so in fact there will always be more than is shown.

As others have said, we both try to be vigilent about trees. We also use a Garmin RV760 to help with low clearances.

Geodude

Yep. Ran a level from the front AC and then dropped a line down to the road. I want to re-measure it again at some point and double check, either to be sure it's really that high or to gain back 2" of wiggle room. I have a cousin who is a surveyor and he said he'd do it for me, down to the millimetre, so I'm looking forward to that.

DougS

Doug S
Just measured the height of our 2016 BH 3061 EL and the front A/C height is 13' 2" while on level concrete hooked up to our F350 and we have the standard pin box. We are considering the 13' 3" advertised height as being our height, that gives us a 1" grace.

kdubinwa

Just measured the height of our 2016 BH 3061 EL and the front A/C height is 13' 2" while on level concrete hooked up to our F350 and we have the standard pin box. We are considering the 13' 3" advertised height as being our height, that gives us a 1" grace.

I guess the moral of the story here is that everyone should measure themselves. My height at top of A/C is 13' 7" for my 2016 3160EL. That was measured while hooked up to my 2011 F350 4x4 SRW. Curious Doug if your Ford is a dually with 2" shorter suspension blocks? My tires also add 1" from 18" stock tires. My air bags are inflated to 20 lbs which keeps me level when loaded. Also, to maintain 6" clearance above my bed rails using my Hensley BD3 hitch I end up being about 1.5" high from front to back. I got the Morryde pin so that may also come into play. Combined these factors could easily account for the 5 inch difference.

DougS

Doug S
I guess the moral of the story here is that everyone should measure themselves. My height at top of A/C is 13' 7" for my 2016 3160EL. That was measured while hooked up to my 2011 F350 4x4 SRW. Curious Doug if your Ford is a dually with 2" shorter suspension blocks? My tires also add 1" from 18" stock tires. My air bags are inflated to 20 lbs which keeps me level when loaded. Also, to maintain 6" clearance above my bed rails using my Hensley BD3 hitch I end up being about 1.5" high from front to back. I got the Morryde pin so that may also come into play. Combined these factors could easily account for the 5 inch difference.

Our truck is a 2012 F350 SRW 4X4 short bed, does not have air bags, but we do have 20" wheels. My truck is stock from the factory except the addition of an in bed fuel tank. We also run a Reese 16K sliding hitch. If we were over the Federal guide lines of what we think is 13" 6", we would be concerned.
Last summer we went under a 13' 6" bridge in VA with no warning signs except a small sign on the bridge, too small to see and stop in time. If we were at 13' 6" we would have been screwed.

kdubinwa

Our truck is a 2012 F350 SRW 4X4 short bed, does not have air bags, but we do have 20" wheels. My truck is stock from the factory except the addition of an in bed fuel tank. We also run a Reese 16K sliding hitch. If we were over the Federal guide lines of what we think is 13" 6", we would be concerned.
Last summer we went under a 13' 6" bridge in VA with no warning signs except a small sign on the bridge, too small to see and stop in time. If we were at 13' 6" we would have been screwed.

Makes sense. My Toyo aftermarket tires on 18" wheels are still inches taller than most OEM-sourced tires on 20 inch wheels, due to the larger side profile. Truck suspension air bags add to that. The Hensely hitch has an additional air bag right under the hitch head. All that adds to rolling height.

I have the new Copilot for RV app that just came out and I recorded my RV profile at 13 8" just to make sure the routing avoids/alerts me to low clearance. Will be keeping my eyes peeled and plan to see what height I drop when removing air from bags and hitch.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our truck is a 2012 F350 SRW 4X4 short bed, does not have air bags, but we do have 20" wheels. My truck is stock from the factory except the addition of an in bed fuel tank. We also run a Reese 16K sliding hitch.

Same hitch as me!

NewReeseSliderHitch-P1000052.jpg ProwlerPigtail-P1000462.jpg

As far as height is concerned, as long as you stay on most major roads, there should be no concerns.

Get a good RV GPS that has this info in it and you'll never have any problems.

And use common sense before you go under a bridge.

If it looks funny . . . get out and look before you go through it!

I purposely set the height limit of my GPS unit 2-inches lower than what my Prowler really is just to be safe.

CMSGT98

I just purchased a Big Horn as well and from the start the height was/is a concern. I just purchased a Garmin GPS as that seemed like the GPS of choice and good for low clearance warnings. What is the best way to measure the true height of your Big Horn?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just purchased a Big Horn as well and from the start the height was/is a concern. I just purchased a Garmin GPS as that seemed like the GPS of choice and good for low clearance warnings. What is the best way to measure the true height of your Big Horn?

At the NTX Rally, Dave the chapter leader had a very long level with a length of heavy cord tied to the end. He got on the roof and put the level on top of the highest AC, which was typically the front unit. He made sure the level was level, then another person made sure the cord was straight and taught, while another got down close to the ground to mark the cord where it hit the ground.

We did this while our coach was hitched up to the truck for travel, and the site was very level concrete.

Dave returned to the ground and they laid the cord out straight and taught on the ground. We used a tape measure to measure from the bottom of the level to the marked spot on the cord.

742f9fd0267548b9410b8851cb365475.jpg