Is the TRAILER to much for the TRUCK !!!

firemailwv

MACDAV - Don't feel bad man. I asked the exact same question before purchasing my Big Country. Most of us want to be informed with real life experiences even if we see folks pulling the big campers with the same type of truck as you drive. I went up 4K pounds and 8 feet in length just a month ago. I completely understand your concerns and don't let a couple responses sway your opinion of this site. I have always gotten the information I want and I continue to ask questions when I have them about my rig. That is excatly the point of this site. I can't really help you since I drive a Cummins Ram, but I will tell you that I had zero problems moving up in size to my new unit. I would suggest investigating a Maxbrake brake controller. It has been BY FAR the best purchase I have made for pulling a trailer. It will really help you get the rig slowed down smoothly and comfortably. Welcome to the forum!

bozo

MACDAV, Dont let these guys get to you. They will tell you there is no dumb questions (and yours was not) but dont ask something that they dont like cause they will eat you alive as you beg for your life LOL. I look on here alot of times and cant stop laughing as I read some of the post. Its a comedy show at its best and I think alot of people feel the way you do but what do I know im just TrailerTrash. I just love to camp with the wife and enjoy the great outdoors but I dont pull a motel down the road so I cant help you much my tt is only 27 feet long. Some of the guys on here are really great and dont care to help I just started camping last year and love it. I would say something about your Truck but the pro 5VER TOWERS on here have given you all the info and grief you can stand. I see you are a new member on the forum sorry for the bad intro we are glad to have you!! Let me be second behind (Jimtoo) to welcome you thanks for joining us glad to have you. Hope you have many great days on the road. HAPPY CAMPING!!!!!!!!

And hey if you have a question just ask !!!! LOL!!!!

caissiel

We are fellow Canadians here and are having a great time in our BC in Florida this winter. I joined the site before we bought the unit and been having a good time reading and commenting on the forum. The information written is free to use and at your descreation if its usefull. One thing that I have to say is that most of us here are telling our experiences with joy and accept all comments be it be pro or con.

I see more and more HD big three 3/4 ton trucks like mine with bigger unit then ever before with my close to 20 years off towing. The efficiency of our TV make them great for the job and very pleasant to tow our Condo with. I have great comfort travelling with ours and all my friends do to.
My Ranger 1/4 Ton was loaded pulling a 5600Lbs 5th wheel, and our condo is much easier to tow with the HD truck of today compared to years earlier. Fuel efficiency has been great towing the Heartland units compared to previous SOB ones.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
MACDAV...please do not let some "misquided" remarks sour you on this forum. We have a really great bunch of people who are willing to help whenever you need! If you want some further information or assistance, and feel uncomfortable using the forum, don't hesitate to private message me, and any other member who has made you feel comfortable.

As for your truck...I think you said you have a GCWR of 22,000, and your truck weighs 7,600, that leaves you the capability of handling 14,400. However, you need to look at your door and find the max RAWR for your specific truck...that is one number you DEFINITELY do not want to go over when fully loaded with the fiver on the back....Good Luck with you choice and hope to see you soon with a Heartland product!

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
MACDAV,
Dont let it bother you, You didnt beat a dead horse. Every time this question is asked you get a bunch of answers ranging from you can or you cant do that with a 3/4 ton truck, you need a dually, you need a medium duty truck, you need a class 8 truck. you cant go one pound over on this weight or that weight.

If people dont want to read the question or answer the question they should just just skip the thread.

Bottom line is, your truck will be absolutelly fine pulling the camper you asked about. No problems! No need to get into all the complicated weight calculations, or theories on duallys being more stable, or you need a truck with 1/8 inch bigger brake rotors. Get it, pull it, enjoy it. Hope to see you out there some day!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ask away. There have been, and may still be, some individuals who get up on their pedestals and act like they own this forum. They don't. Only Heartland and their main man, Jim Beletti, hold final sway over this place. And, using the search function to find things can be an exercise in frustration.

wyleyrabbit

Maybe someone at Heartland should write something official and have it as a "sticky" at the top of this forum section. Then, people could get their legitimate questions answered without people getting all upset.

And I agree with the comment about searching the forum from the forum's search being difficult.

My $0.02.

Northern Virginia
x3 on the forum search not working very well for me either. Rarely have any luck with it.

Birchwood

Your 09 Duramax will comfortably haul your Sundance.Here in Florida I have seen several huge Big Horns
being hauled by your truck.It may be a mistake to add a rear spring as your unloaded ride will suffer.
I think everyone requires a different margin of safety and if you don't feel safe with your setup
and have a few extra bucks go with a bigger truck.I only have a couple years hauling experience
so I paired my unit with a truck that can legally haul handle the load.

I think you'd be just fine if the specs are accurate. Be aware, though, that many RV manufacturers list the average, stripped-down weight of new RV's, before you start putting a generator in the front, water tanks, etc. Still, I think you'd be fine there. Loaded down with water and even if your grey/black tanks are full, it seems to me you'd be well within your limits.

Many others on here with more experience, though, so let them chime in with their opinions. :)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
jdkin, HL weigh's each trailer as it leaves the line. So the empty weight for "his" coach will be what that coach weigh's.

DW_Gray

Wyley
One more thing to remember. You can't exceed the GVWR of the TV or the GCWR of the TV and trailer. As a rule of thumb, 3/4 ton trucks never have to be concerned with the GCWR on a fith wheel, they will exceed the GVWR of the truck due to pin weight long before they exceed the GCWR. For 1 ton trucks, it is really a toss up. The extra payload capacity will help a tremendous amount. From an overloaded point of view though, exceed either and you are technically overloaded. Also, don't pay attention to the posted trailer towing ratings from the manfacturers, they are misleading at best and not legally binding like a GCWR or GVWR. Only way to really tell is a scale. Good luck!

6.7powerstroke, I have to disagree with you a bit. I am currently over my GCWR by 1,825 pounds. Yet, I'm under the GAWR (-525# front, -2,400# rear) and the GVWR (-575#).

The CHP told me they were not concerned about the GCWR because that is a manufacture recommendation. They only pay attention to the numbers on the Certification Label and if any GAWR or the GVWR is over, you'll be stopped right there.

rdrew5762

I have a 2002 GMC 2500HD and have no real problems pulling my 3300CK. Installing a set of Load Lifter Air springs next week, will let you know if it makes any difference.