Is there a right time to buy?

Hi newbie here, after spending hours reading through threads, I wondered if there is a right time to but an RV?

Do the models run on the calendar year or do they end on the fiscal year like most autos.

I guess what I'm getting at is...when do the 2015's come out and when they do, would there then be a backlog of 2014's on RV lots at deeply discounted prices?

I've always heard that in the auto industry you should buy at the end of the month and toward the end of the model year for the best values. Is this true in RV's as well?

Thanks in advance for your input. I am a couple years out (hopefully less) from buying my fifth wheel so any and all information helps at this point.

If this question has been asked and answered elsewhere, please provide link to thread if you can.

Thank you.

jimtoo

Hi EchoLima88,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

The 2015's are being released or have been released already. And yes, you can find some good deals on the 2014's. Don't know why the end of the month would be any better unless it's because the dealer has a sales contest going.

Just do your shopping and join us at a rally or campground and make lots of great memories.

Jim M

GOTTOYS

The dealers that try to charge way too much will discount them when the new models come out. The "wholesale" dealers don't discount them so much as they sell at a better price to start with. If you shop and do a little wheelin and dealin, you can usually get 30-40% off their price just about anytime of the year. They can only come down so low before they lose money even on last years models..Don

Bohemian

The dealer will size you up. They are very good at that.

If you want to purchase today, immediately and locally they will get more from you. If you are going to bid it out to many dealers, you will get a much better price.
You will get better deals on older stock more easily. You can get the same deal or better on new models if you know how to negotiate.

Miltp920

I live in michigan. I had a dealer 20 miles away that was talking $*****, close to msrp, but it was loaded with all options. When I asked forhis best deal he did not come down a dime. His did have the patio, and maybe 6pt lvl. So he should have been at $*****-$*****.. Another dealer who boast of best prices in Michigan was at $*****, no patio, no 6 pt. I drove 200 miles for the $***** deal. When I got there that dealer sold the unit I told him I was on the way up to see ("minutes before I got there"). So I continued to work dealer against dealer even just across Indiana border. Petes RV in Indiana gave me the best deal I could find. I did the entire deal over the phone and email. Did not meet the sales person until day of delivery. I ended up at $*****. I just picked my exact options and floor plan so I was comparing apples to apples from dealer to dealer. I ended up paying a bit more, because I put 6 pt level and slide toppers on at the last minute. But before that all things were equal. we ordered a 2014 in june 2013, and they were making good deals, I thought. The new year models were just starting to show up on lots, just like right now. I would think it would even be better now to grab a 2014 with 2015s on the lot. I did that to with sob a few years back. I also had three to four dealers working against each other for best price gets my deal. It worked. There was two dealers about 100 miles apart that I learned had a rival. When the dealer farthest from me near Detroit, heard the dealer closer to me by 100 miles was undercutting their best deal on a 2008 with the same deal on a 2009, same model floor plan, they gave me a last chance deal that was only good for 24 hours that saved me an extra $1000 including delivery to my seasonal lot. All this was done over the phone and email. I did visit the unit to put eyes on my purchase before closing this deal because it had been on their lot for at least 6 months with people walking through it. There are so many units on the internet to look at, you really do not have to visit a dealer to shop. I knew I was close to the best deal I was going to get when yet another dealer who had been working down their price, told me "they had hit bottom, If I could find a better deal, I should take it, because that dealer would have to be losing money". AND we all know the dealer I bought from still made money...but that was a 2008 after the 2009s were out. Dont give up and dont be easy. It was actually kind of fun working them against each other. I was coached by a fellow buyer, and it worked.

Last edited by a moderator:

donr827

I know in the car business the best time to buy is the end of the month. Salesmen have to meet quotas and are willing to throw in some of their commissions. As someone else mentioned there are usually bonus contest going on for salesman, I think that the dealer also has to floor plan the cars on the first of the month. Had a friend in the car sales business and this is what he told me but have no personal experience. This might not apply to the RV business..............Don

danemayer

In the car business, I think the end-of-month special incentives are between the distributor and the dealer to spur dealers to meet/exceed distributor quotas and to manage distributor inventory levels.

In the RV industry, I'm not sure if there are any distributors. I think most, if not all dealers order directly from the factory and inventories would be managed at the dealer level.

Thank you all for the great replies. Pitting dealers against each other nationally isn't something I initially thought of, but I can see how it might be necessary.

Bohemian - I am a couple of years out, maybe less from purchasing my RV. Still have to get rid of the s&b and find a place to live in my RV since I am still working and relatively young (47).

Thanks again.

Jim.Allison

I think dealers "floor plan" what is in their lot. They either pay cash for them or finance them with their local banks. Heartland probably offers them incentives from time to time to get the dealers to buy more units, it is then that dealers are willing to negotiate, "clear their lot". Some dealers will advertise a "big blow out sale" (bad terminology in the RV business) some dealers will just negotiate quietly. This is consistent in the car, airplane, and RV industry. It is a result of "floorplanning". Floorplanning is using other peoples money to hold your inventory.

In Texas, taxes must be paid on inventory, every nut, bolt, screw and rig must be counted, so ALL car and travel trailer dealers and pretty much any retailer reduces inventory to reduce their tax bill. This happens once a year, so if they have not moved their inventory this is an incentive, they just want their money out, they will replace inventory after it is counted for tax purposes. I would imagine its similar in other states. So if you order one and it comes through their dealership, they pay no taxes on it and no interest to floor plan it, then they can offer more to you.

The thing to do is develop a relationship with a local dealer, go visit several until you find one that you like. One of the ways you can tell that a particular salesman is eager, is if he meets you as soon as you arrive. IF no-one talks to you within 5 minutes. Get in your car and leave. If they don't care about talking to you,they surely won't negotiate. Negotiations begin with a "hungry" salesman. If he is not hungry then he will drag is a-- out to see you if he is hungry he will "goosestep". Dont worry, if they let you leave, you can go back next week they never knew you were there and perhaps a hungry salesperson will come out on the second trip.

Do your research first, you need to know what you want in a rig. So visit Heartlands website, and study youtube videos on RV. There are sellers all over the US selling RVs and displaying them on YouTube. I would not buy one in this manner but I did take video tours. I also got a lot of insight into the construction of a Heartland via YouTube.

Do not pit one dealer against another, but instead negotiate with many. Put a target price on a piece of paper and keep it in the palm of your hand, NEVER show it to anyone. Refer to it when talking to them so that they know you have a target they must achieve. Reject attempts to upsell you. Be patient, if the deal you want is reasonable you will achieve it. They want you to tell them your target price. Once they get your target price then they know what you will pay. What will you do if you show your target price, and they agree to the deal? Keep them guessing. Perhaps they will overshoot your target and you will get a better deal than you expected. If you stick to your target, one thing is for sure you won't pay more than your target if you keep it secret.

Its a new world in selling products today. The internet has changed everything and the bold are getting the deals. The internet facilitates buyers and sellers and the RV industry is no different. High volume Heartland dealers are playing the game. They take advantage of everything they can to move rigs. If they can order one for you and pass it straight from Heartland to you without ever putting it in inventory they will do it. The benefit to you is you get better customization and price when you have one built for you. I prefer to order and wait.

But develope a few relationships with internet sellers, if you don't find one that suits you then find another. Get them calling you, not the otherway around. Contact them, get a quote on exactly what you want. don't call him back, he will call you. If he does not then call and ask a question about the quote, get him interested in you again. Always let the salesperson add extended warranties and all the little goodies that you can reject later on. This way it sweetens the pot for him and keeps him interested.

Mid summer is a good time to order a fiver because the season is over everyone who wanted one has one. LOL. They are selling off what is on their lots, and Heartland is building the 2015. The incentives to the dealer are being offered now. If you order now in August you will get it around November, A high volume dealer will be happy to put your rig in the sold column for the 2015 this quarter.

BTW a nasty technique is to get a quote with everything on it, then you start deleting options you don't want, and ask for a revised quotes. I dont know if it is completely true but I think I negotiated a smoking deal on mine. I know the local dealer tried like heck to get to my target price, he let me walk away. Since then I have seen pre owned rigs like mine for sale for way more money than I paid new.

On the lot or ordering. If you have particular features that you do not want, a dealer must get you to buy something he knows you don't want. This is difficult for him, keep it that way. Always reject the notion that something you don't want is a benefit to you (even if it is). If the salesperson gets your wife he has you. Your wife needs to be mildly objecting to whatever is being sold. She needs to "put on" that she likes another one she saw at another dealer attitude. She needs to turn her nose up at anything. I call it the "I like the blue one down the street" technique. IF a car dealer is trying to sell you a white car, your wife needs to resist by saying she likes the blue one down the street. If its a Ford she needs to like the Chevy. Dont ever let the salesperson sell your wife. Let him know you have looked at the crummiest brand on the market, and that you like it. This puts him in the position of convincing you that his product is better. You know it is, but don't let him know that you know. Keep the sales person guessing, do not let him know that you know his product is superior.

Do not fall for the "we won't service it if you don't buy it here" BS. If you are told this, you should retort "what does the service manager have to say about that". The service department makes money on warranty repairs. They don't give a hoot in hades about the sales department. If its a warranty issue you are a service customer bird nest on the ground, no quoting, no nothing, they fix it and Heartland pays. The service department is not waiting around to service only rigs that were bought at that dealership. This is a myth. IF you are ever asked by the service department if you bought it there, you can just say you're passing through, or you bought it used. Don't ever answer that question at a service department, you may be put in the back of the line in favor of their customers, but the work will never be rejected based on where you bought the rig. I was told by the sales manager that the service department would not work on my rig if I bought it somewhere else. He apologized as I walked out the door. LOL.

So the answer is the end of the summer is a good time to order. IMHO. Ordering is the best method, and travelling to pick up your rig is more fun.

Good luck

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My 5cts, If you order a coach...I would not order it the winter time. I would not want my new coach on roads with snow and salt on them. If you order one in the spring...by the time its built the snow and salt will be gone...well maybe.

Sans1

I had real good luck immediately following a big RV show. The one I got they 'let me have for the show price'. If you go this route, be sure to look it over really good because chances are a lot of people have been in it. Even if something is dinged or scratched chances are they replace/ fix it. I got a brand new dinette because of a barely noticeable blemish. I even kept the old one. The new one came with new support hardware. I also got them to swap out the installed plain jane couch for the leather one with triple recliners all at no extra charge. If you go with a motorhome be sure to test drive. Pay attention to how bouncy and noisy, and don't talk yourself into buying something you can get used to. We had a Class C for only 6 months and after the first 500 miles knew we made a mistake. After 6000 miles i was researching how to quiet things down when my wife spotted the one we ended up with. We got such a good deal on it we were able to trade even for the one we have now. Can't help but think I could have received a better deal but I was happy to get out for what I owed without putting out anymore money. The motorhome showed up on line for 20k more than in paid for it 18k more than the fiver I took home. So that explains why they were so eager to do the deal. He also was going to let me keep both 12 volt TVs after the deal was done, I kept the 32inch and moved to 24 inch to the 'living room' because I felt bad for whomever might end up with it (wish I had kept both). And I think this llustrates why you need some idea of what people really paying for something comparable to what you are looking for. You also don't want one that stays parked in you back yard because the dealer said your vehicle can 'easily' tow it. Do your homework here, and don't buy one at your max weight, chances are when all said and done it will be heavier than advertised anyway. Good luck and check more than one place to get an idea of what you can get for what you plan to spend.

Last edited:

Jim.Allison

Ditto on this one. Do the math on your truck and rig. No salesman knows doodly about this. He would let you drive it off with a Nissan if he could.
I had real food luck immediately following a big RV show. The one I got they 'let me gave for the show price'. If you go thus route, be sure to look it over really good because chances are a lot of people have been in it. Even if something is dinged or scratched chances are they replace/ fix it. I got a brand new dinette because of a barely noticeable blemish. I even kept the old one. The new one came with new support hardware. I also got them to swap out the intended plain jane couch for the leather one with triple recliners all at no extra charge. If you go with a motorhome be sure to test drive. Pay attention to how bouncy and noisy, and don't talk yourself into buying something you can get used to. Or most importantly, that stays parked in you back yard because the dealer said your vehicle can 'easily' tow it. Good luck and check more than one place to get an idea of what you can get for what you plan to spend.

Wow more great replies. Jim thank you for your detailed analysis. We are going with a 5er just for the cost per square foot benefit. I know that full-timing rigs are going to required a HDT with DRW. Initially ours will be parked in an RV park full-time, so the HDT can come later. I still need to work. I'm very excited about the new Landmark 365 series for full-timers. Maybe by the time we buy ours things like, solar power and other goodies will be standard equipment.

Thanks again everyone.

Jim.Allison

If you are looking for solar, you live among some of the best solar installers and retailers in the USA. When you are ready for solar do not do a RV dealer solar install. Especially in AZ. I (and others) can provide you some good links to get you started when you are ready.

Wow more great replies. Jim thank you for your detailed analysis. We are going with a 5er just for the cost per square foot benefit. I know that full-timing rigs are going to required a HDT with DRW. Initially ours will be parked in an RV park full-time, so the HDT can come later. I still need to work. I'm very excited about the new Landmark 365 series for full-timers. Maybe by the time we buy ours things like, solar power and other goodies will be standard equipment.

Thanks again everyone.

brianlajoie

I'm very excited about the new Landmark 365 series for full-timers. Maybe by the time we buy ours things like, solar power and other goodies will be standard equipment.

I think the right time to buy is when you have determined the model you desire meets the desire to purchase. :) If you are looking to maximize you r purchasing power, it depends on how much effort your willing to put onto the process. I started my new unit purchase (first I knew which model I wanted - it only took me two years to do!) by looking for a dealer invoice on the model I wanted on the net. Comparing that to the Hartland web site for different options gave me a feel for what I was looking at before I taked to a dealer. I compared that information to a unit at a local dealer and liked the unit very much. Unfortunately the dealer wanted close to full price for the unit (and wasn't budging very much). After that, I found 50 models of the unit I wanted with very similar options on the net when I looked. After contacting a few dealers, we ended up buying off the net.

Jim.Allison

You must always remember that the dealers are in it for the money. They are not benevolent in anyway. Negotiating with them is like playing poker with Bret Maverick, of James Garner fame. Cast your net far and wide. I did and I finally got my deal at Jeff Couch RV Nation. Good credit is a plus as it makes you a qualified buyer.

If you have not been qualified, you are not on the salesmans radar.

ORDER your rig the way you want it and delete consumable items like cute little vacuum cleaners, and other silly stuff. Would you finance a vacuum cleaner for 20 years? No you would not. How about a 20 inch television in the bedroom? No you would not. Why do we do this when we purchase the rig. Delete that stuff and give enough down to cover items that do not last and should not be financed for 10 to twenty years.

Buy in the late summer. The season is over, buy now! For next summer delivery. Do not buy in the spring for the upcoming season.

Bohemian

I was talking to a dealer just 3 weeks ago. He was giving me the talk about how if I wanted this years model it would be near list price. Last years model would be discounted at the end of year. I said I would be looking to buy at a dealer in VA, or one in PA, or MA, or ... depending on price and quality of dealership. He immediately started talking about how he could get me a great price on any unit of any year at any time of year, He also reminded me of this several times over the next hour as we looked at units.

Bottom line is when it becomes to sign.

Redrider007

As one who has been looking at this site for a good 6 months and researching I just wanted to say THANK YOU for putting the effort into such a great response!!

Bobby A

Well, I didn't see this mentioned so I figured I would throw it out there. We have a benefit for being HOC members and attend National Rallys. Last year Heartland offered a discount for rally attendee, can't remember the various discounts but it was pretty good. What I do remember was Heartland said to make your best deal at any dealership within a certain period during or after the rally and you would be eligible for the discount. I was pretty impressed by that. I guess the bottom line is to do your homework a few months before the rally and then come to the rally. Just sayin !!