Issues with adding weight distribution and sway control hitch

ZNK

My wife and I recently purchased a North Trail 29BUDS. After hearing a lot of recommendations to have a weight distribution and sway control hitch on my truck I decided to do so. This past Saturday we went to pick up our coach :). We did our walk through, completed an intensive PDI provided to me by my parents, and thought we were about ready to hit the road to test our new home on wheels out for the first time. Well there was quite a large problem with installing the hitch. A portion of the hitch involves "saddles" that must be attached to the frame of the coach so that the weight distribution bars can be chained to the coach. The issue that we had when working to install the saddles is that the beefy metal that was needed to accompany the spare tire prevented the saddles from simply being attached and tightened with the supplied bolt. In order for our saddles to be properly attached our dealer had to make a call to a automotive shop across the street that agreed to notch the saddles and weld them directly to the frame. I will attach some photos to show what I mean, but has anyone else ran into this issue? Our dealer said they have never had this problem before when installing the weight distribution hitch. I hope this did not void our warranty in any way. The dealer told me with the utmost confidence that this would not be a problem. Luckily, the dealer had to foot the bill on this one. In the long run I think having the saddles welded on is a much better situation anyway. The area has been repainted with the gloss black paint to match. I am curious to see if others have experienced this or have had this done.

Hitch Picture 1.jpgHitch Picture 2.jpgHitch Picture 3 .jpgHitch Picture 4 .jpgHitch Picture 5 .jpg

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I have a NT 31BDSS. I had an equalizer hitch installed. Totally bolt on. Spare tire did not present an issue. Having the WDH welded may present issues when you go to sell your trailer or if you decide you need a different WDH setup. What does the WDH manufacterer say about welding the saddles?

PhotoPete

ZNK, about the only issue your likely to have is that when you move to another trailer, you will need to get a few new parts to connect your system with. I had one welded on years ago, never had a problem with it. I can't speak to the warranty issues though.

Knowing how companies will back out of taking responsibility for their product at the first chance they get, I wouldn't be surprised if they refuse to pay a claim.

Pete

jnbhobe

Why didn't they change the chain on the bars ?? I don't trust them add a links one bit, I have seen them bend and brake many times.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I don't see why they welded the chain brackets to the frame as all the force is "down". That much weld on the side of the frame causes the metal to loose its structural integrity and should be "stress relieved".
I also agree that the chain link connecter is not a good idea.

ZNK

We just had to have that extra link until we moved it to a flatter area. We couldn't get the chain to reach. Once on a flat spot we can get it to reach the original chains.

ZNK

I don't see why they welded the chain brackets to the frame as all the force is "down". That much weld on the side of the frame causes the metal to loose its structural integrity and should be "stress relieved".
I also agree that the chain link connecter is not a good idea.

There was no room for the saddled to be just clamped on like normal. It was this or no trailer for us essentially.

ZNK

ZNK, about the only issue your likely to have is that when you move to another trailer, you will need to get a few new parts to connect your system with. I had one welded on years ago, never had a problem with it. I can't speak to the warranty issues though.

Knowing how companies will back out of taking responsibility for their product at the first chance they get, I wouldn't be surprised if they refuse to pay a claim.

Pete

That is a concern of mine, however there was no other way to attach the hitch. I am hoping that the dealer did not set me up for failure.

PhotoPete

We just had to have that extra link until we moved it to a flatter area. We couldn't get the chain to reach. Once on a flat spot we can get it to reach the original chains.

This will continue to be an issue as you tow from location to location. you never know the terrain you will be setting up on. I would get the chains replaced and have it made long enough to have a few hanging after hook up.

Did they show you how to level the tv and trailer with the system?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
There was no room for the saddled to be just clamped on like normal. It was this or no trailer for us essentially.

There are aways options. The bracket has a 1/2" mounting hole on the side, it could have been secured with bolt/screw to the frame like the sway bar bracket. All might workout fine, just keep an eye on the frame for stress cracks near the weld.
The spare can be relocated behind the rear axle or in front of the front axle. (span a 2"x2" angle across the frame and hang it from that.)

Last edited:

zeus7625

This will continue to be an issue as you tow from location to location. you never know the terrain you will be setting up on. I would get the chains replaced and have it made long enough to have a few hanging after hook up.

Did they show you how to level the tv and trailer with the system?

Where can I find this info? Dealer never showed me.

PhotoPete

its fairly straight forward. first park the tv on a level surface and take a measurement to some spot on the front and rear bumper of the truck. note that for future reference.

Connect the trailer and tv again on a level area, and load up the way you will for travel. both the tv and the tailer. Now hook up the arms of the hitch. with a tape measure you will be able to see distances change on the tv front and back, as well as the trailer front and back.

the idea is to get the trailer as level as possible while getting the tv as close as you can to the original attitude it had.

keep the tension the same on each side of the hitch. that is to say if you connect to link 4 on the left, do the same on the right.

Once you have that position figured out on the chains, it will basically be like that every time you hook up unless you change the way you load.

oh, and if the ball on the hitch is adjustable for height, you can use that to tweak this setup as well. I would aim to have the ball height such that you are only using half the chain when level.

Sandpirate69

When you un-hook your rig, always check the ball. They get loose often. I welded the nut & spot welded the top to the mount. Something you may want to consider, install an electric jack. When i had my travel trailer I would use the jack to raise the TV & TT as far up as I needed to hook up my chains. Workout fine for several years. At that time I had a 2500 HD & it lifted both great. Just my $.02 .

ZNK

There are aways options. The bracket has a 1/2" mounting hole on the side, it could have been secured with bolt/screw to the frame like the sway bar bracket. All might workout fine, just keep an eye on the frame for stress cracks near the weld.

It is impossible to use the bolt to attach the saddles. The steel mounting bracket for the batteries and the spare tire are right in the place where you need to attach. Please see pictures below.

As for cracks to the frame. The welds should have no affect to the structural integrity of a 6x4in (approx) hollow steel frame. If anything the welding would increase the tensile strength of the steel. I have no concerns that the welds will fail. This is the best way to attach (Permanent). I am simpy allowing others to know of this issue. Heartland needs to be aware of this.

ZNK

When you un-hook your rig, always check the ball. They get loose often. I welded the nut & spot welded the top to the mount. Something you may want to consider, install an electric jack. When i had my travel trailer I would use the jack to raise the TV & TT as far up as I needed to hook up my chains. Workout fine for several years. At that time I had a 2500 HD & it lifted both great. Just my $.02 .

Yes, eventually I may consider the electric jack. However, the hand crank really isnt that hard, personally I like the extra ability to burn calories. Evertything shouldnt be so easy.

berky

I had exactly the problem you described with by 26LRSS, Zack. The dealer said this was not the first time they had this problem. The factory authroized the dealer to grind off the spare/battery brackets and re-weld them further aft. The dealer did a nice job.

Which left me wondering why this is a recurring problem. My thought was that there's too many factory-installed items on the A-frame (gas, battery, spare) to come up with a set of dimensions that accomodates every manufacturer/style of WDH. Mine is an Eaz-Lift. What's yours?

ZNK

Berky,

Mine was suppose to be a EAZ Lift. They gave me a comparable brand that they had in stock. They installed a TowPower hitch.

ZNK

Not sure why this post was moved. It has NOTHING to do with the tow vehicle. Can it please be moved back to north trail frame? It was an issue with the frame not the toe vehicle. I really want the Heartland reps to know that this is a large problem. They may need to consider changing the location of the spare tire as it has been said to drag anyways. I think they have too many brackets on the tongue.

jbeletti

Zack,

The plant is only notified of posts in a few sub-forums here. Frames is not one of them.

That said, I just notified the GM over all TT brands of the issue you had and at least one other customer had. Doubt it's very prevalent or we'd be reading more about it, but it's still worth sending up the flag pole.

Sorry you were delayed in delivery but it sounds like your dealer is pretty awesome and really took care of you.

As for this thread about a hitch not mating up to a frame and where this thread should live - I think a case can be made either way. Heartland makes several TT brands. This issue may not be unique to North Trail. Having it in a Hitches sub-forum may make it more visible to other customers seeking it out.

Thanks for bringing this matter to light and for the great pictures showing the issue and the fix. It can certainly aid others who may find themselves in the same situation.