Jacks for slideout..should you buy them and use them?

AttyVette

I am debating whether or not I should buy jacks to put under the slide out on my trailer trailer. I leave the slide out on my 30 ft. North Country TRE at my campground all the time so I am wondering if I should: A. Put the slide in whenever I leave the travel trailer for several days or B. Whether or not I should just buy jacks and put them under the slide out. Any opinions, thoughts on this matter?

davidg

If it were me and I didn't have a slide topper I would slide it in when I leave (just like keeping all that stuff off the top of the slide) I do have jacks and very sedom use them, at my age I might forget to take them out from under when the DW brings the slide in, don't know what kind of a problem that would cause.
David

porthole

Retired
The trailer is designed to not use them, so avoid the marketing hype and put the money towards a couple of nights at your favorite campground.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I have heard nothing good about the slide jacks. We opted not to use them and so far with two different rigs there seems to be no issues not using the support jacks.

Best Wishes!

jpajax

Do you think that the slides can support the weight of the camper when the tire goes down or when the stabilizer settles and transfer all the weight to the slide? But it is your choice mine is NO.

hoefler

Do you think that the slides can support the weight of the camper when the tire goes down or when the stabilizer settles and transfer all the weight to the slide? But it is your choice mine is NO.

This seems to be the biggest concern everyone has when this question is asked. Think about it, your rear stabilizers cannot jack your rig off the ground! What happens to them when you have a flat tire!! Nothing. I have and will continue to use them. And yes I have had a flat tire when using them. No ill effect. There is usually 2"-3" above the slide in the wall opening. You can raise the slide for maintenance, such as replacing the rollers. When 1 tire goes flat on a tandem axle rig, the trailer will only drop about 3" at most. When using stabilizers ( not really jacks ) under the slide, when installing them, you raise them until the touch and then only apply enough pressure to hold them in place. You don't raise the slide. We use them under the living room slide. I have been in campsites that have no trees, no buildings, no hills, or anything to stop the wind. The stabilizers will actually stop the side to side rocking or at least greatly reduce it, been there, done that. There great, wouldn't be with out them.

Last edited:

Jellystone

IMHO, do not use jacks for the slide outs. Also, if you are going to be away from your campsite for a few days it would be a good idea to run the slides in. Better safe than sorry.

jpdoggett

I had them for a SOB fifth wheel used them a couple times cause the slide went out 42", with the new Augusta we don't have any slides that go out that far, and if you do have a tire go down it would not help the slide. Took them out of the RV and have them at home in Kansas

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
This issue has been discussed before on the forum and if I recall correctly the factory guys chimed in and said a resounding NO do not use them as they could possibly cause damage to the slide or throw it out of adjustment. I for one have never used them nor do I see a need to.

AttyVette

This seems to be the biggest concern everyone has when this question is asked. Think about it, your rear stabilizers cannot jack your rig off the ground! What happens them when you have a flat tire!! Nothing. I have and will continue to use them. And yes I have had a flat tire when using them. No ill effect. There is usually 2"-3" above the slide in the wall opening. You can raise the slide for maintenance, such as replacing the rollers. When 1 tire goes flat on a tandem axle rig, the trailer will only drop about 3" at most. When using stabilizers ( not really jacks ) under the slide, when installing them, you raise them until the touch and then only apply enough pressure to hold them in place. You don't raise the slide. We use them under the living room slide. I have been in campsites that have no trees, no buildings, no hills, or anything to stop the wind. The stabilizers will actually stop the side to side rocking or at least greatly reduce it, been there, done that. There great, wouldn't be with out them.
thanks for the information...I appreciate your insights as well as others on this site..

AttyVette

This issue has been discussed before on the forum and if I recall correctly the factory guys chimed in and said a resounding NO do not use them as they could possibly cause damage to the slide or throw it out of adjustment. I for one have never used them nor do I see a need to.
thanks for the info...I wanted to know what others thought about this matter!