Japanese Bathrooms - Some Ideas for the RV Industry

danemayer

I wonder if any of these innovations have made it into sticks and bricks homes outside of Japan.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
When I was looking at a SOB fifthwheel bunkhouse, I saw one that had a toilet mounted in the shower and had a sink in the corner of the shower. Somewhat like the Japanese bath shown. However the overall room was tiny. I swear it was less than 3 x 5 total in size. and very crowded. It was somewhat similar to a wet bath from the days of popup trailers.

Do you really want RV builders to build an even smaller bathroom that is even more cramped than the ones they are building now? That may be why such a small girl was demonstrating the Japanese bathroom.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if any of these innovations have made it into sticks and bricks homes outside of Japan.

Home depot sells a conversion kit for a sink over the toilet tank
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SinkPositive-Touch-Free-Water-Space-Saving-Adjustable-Toilet-Tank-Retrofit-Sink-Faucet-Basin-White-HD214-01/205088518?cm_mmc=shopping-_-bingpa-_-29-_-205088518&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=205088518

Toilets with integrated bidets are sold at Menards and other similar places.

Whirlpool baths with heaters have been around for years.

So yes, this stuff is used outside of Japan.

Bohemian

When I was looking at a SOB fifthwheel bunkhouse, I saw one that had a toilet mounted in the shower and had a sink in the corner of the shower. Somewhat like the Japanese bath shown. However the overall room was tiny. I swear it was less than 3 x 5 total in size. and very crowded. It was somewhat similar to a wet bath from the days of popup trailers.

Do you really want RV builders to build an even smaller bathroom that is even more cramped than the ones they are building now? That may be why such a small girl was demonstrating the Japanese bathroom.

- - - Updated - - -

Home depot sells a conversion kit for a sink over the toilet tank
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SinkPosi..._-205088518&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=205088518

Toilets with integrated bidets are sold at Menards and other similar places.

Whirlpool baths with heaters have been around for years.

So yes, this stuff is used outside of Japan.

If you think about it greater efficiency provides the opportunity to provide more space with the same functions. A decision to provide less space is just that, a decision to provide less space for reasons other than efficiency. Slightly more profit and less weight.

danemayer

I don't think DW would buy an RV where the toilet was in the shower. Space and price would not enter into her decision.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I don't think DW would buy an RV where the toilet was in the shower. Space and price would not enter into her decision.
If you think about it greater efficiency provides the opportunity to provide more space with the same functions. A decision to provide less space is just that, a decision to provide less space for reasons other than efficiency. Slightly more profit and less weight.

Lets put it this way. The bathroom was so small and poorly laid out that it would have been more profit, more usable and less weight to remove the bathroom entirely. It would have made a good closet but there was an outside access door to the bathroom. It was not the primary bathroom and was not really usable in any real manner since it was basically everything thrown into a corner closet. The wet baths in popup campers were at least laid out to be usable. On the sailboats I have been on, The head is usually a wet bath, Yet they are smaller, much more usable and more efficient than the bath in this SOB bunkhouse that I looked at.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Here is a photo of the entire bathroom in the SOB that is very compact. Now remember this is in a larger 5th wheel RV.

attachment.php

Yes, The sink overhangs the toilet by 1/2 the width of the toilet
Yes, Your seeing the entire opening for the entire bathroom. And yes those are the shower doors you see.
There is just over one foot of space between the front of the toilet and the opposite wall.

So if your really small. You might be able to use this bathroom. Maybe.

There is a floor drain in front of the toilet.

Attachments

• 1_1043_1128269_19209587.jpg
    1_1043_1128269_19209587.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 173

porthole

Retired
Our first boat had an all in one bathroom. It was kind of neat, and made for easy cleanup at the end of a day of chartering. Don't think I would want it in the RV though.

And 1 minute into that video it was annoying to listen to, so I don't know how it ends :rolleyes:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When we were stationed in Japan in the 60's we lived in a new duplex just outside of Fukuoka, Japan. The bathtub was wooden and there was no hot water in the house. You had to warm the water with a propane heater. To take a bath you would fill the tub with water, turn on the propane heater which was attached to the bottom side of the tub, wait for the water to warm, turn off the heater and get in and take your bath. It was a PITA to use. The bathroom sink was about the size of a 2 quart saucepan. The toilet was like an outhouse on the inside. You would squat over it and go. You could see into the hole where the debris went. You would put deodorizer in it and about once every 3 weeks to a month the benjo (honey-wagon) would come and pump out the holding tank. The toilet looked like a small porcelin baby crib mounted on a wooden deck. To wash dishes in the kitchen you would warm the water on the stove and then put the warmed water in the aluminum sink. We had a portable kerosene heater to keep the house warm. We slept on the ta-tome mats on the floor on a futon. The doors separating the 4 rooms were sliding wooden doors covered in white thin rice paper. Sure makes you appreciate the good old USA.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Here's what the Bill Gates Foundation proposes to minimize water usage, waste mgmt, etc. Saw prototype in Seattle.
Coming soon to your RV. !!
03a1fb500f51eb5636d89a5b37bda7ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donr827

I was watching Salvage Dogs last night and they were collecting items from a 100 yr old factory that was going to be demolished. One of the items they retrieved was a toilet with a sink on the back of the toilet like the one in the video. so I guess it is not a new idea after all.
Don

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I was watching Salvage Dogs last night and they were collecting items from a 100 yr old factory that was going to be demolished. One of the items they retrieved was a toilet with a sink on the back of the toilet like the one in the video. so I guess it is not a new idea after all.
Don

Certainly not a new idea but sometimes those ideas go away because they are not as useful or practical when first designed.

Having the sink on the back of a toilet does not eliminate the need for a sink in the bathroom unless your of the type to use toilet water to brush your teeth or shave.