Jeff Couch's RV Nation

Looking to get our first RV soon. We have decided to do custom to make sure it includes all the options we want. Found a great price through Jeff Couch's RV Nation. Has anyone used them and had either good or bad experience?

Garypowell

I don't know this organization but have some advice for you anyway:

1. Remember, as my dad used to tell me, you are going to get the best treatment you will ever get while you are dating. Good and bad company's exist in all businesses but usually whatever they are it goes all the way through the organization. So how are you being treated now?

2. I have only ordered one custom coach and it was back in 1995 when custom was really custom. They even wanted to know the dimensions of my TV so when they build the cabinet it would fit into properly. We have always simply found on the lot what we wanted and added from there if needed. This way you know exactly what you are getting and its condition. There is another thread on the site now about someone who did not get his bar stools.....we did not ever have to worry about that. But if you do go this way...once the order is placed I would call Heartland and talk over your build and make sure every feature you want is included. Another recent thread someone, I think, actually got last years model panned off on them by a dealer.

3. Another thing about buying off the lot they have an added incentive to get it off the lot....if you are special ordering you can get trapped into a higher price.

4. Anything I am buying of any significance I call around the sales person to service. See how they treat you.....since this is your first best source of help. Call and tell them you have this model and need to ask some questions. See how they treat you....how long does it take to get a call back, etc.

5. And like another thread active now if they are a long ways away from you pay someone to do the PDI with you when the unit arrives. These are generally well made beasts....but beasts they are and you can save a lot of head aches if you have someone show you around. Even if you drive through a local RV park and ask someone to help you.....you'll find most will.

Good luck....since it takes some of that too.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
HERE is an ongoing thread about a coach purchased from Jeff Couch's RV Nation.
I don't think this is a reflection on the dealer but rather a caution on buying long distance. Especially if owning an RV is new to you.
The OP opted out of the long distance PDI and there are some issues.

Peace
Dave

scottyb

Take a look at Holman RV. I didn't buy from them but they had a good reputation and had some very good internet pricing. As mentioned in the other thread, never ever opt out of the PDI.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree on Holman RV.
They were very nice and even gave me a "best price I could find online" itemized invoice.

I ended up shopping it locally and got close to the Holman price. (Much to my west coast dealer's chagrin. Their previous "best price" was $10K more!) I ended up buying here locally. Trace

Wharton

First, if you are in Maryland check out Chesapeake RV Solutions in VA. We went through them and had an outstanding experience. He is also a deep discounter.

Second, look at RVservicereviews.com to give you an idea of the dealer. You may not need him(we didn't) but it is good to know what other people think.

Visited Brooks RV today in Pennsylvania. They sell the Big Horn. Family business. I was very impressed with the camper and dealership.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I like to buy off of the lot as well.

It seems to me that those who have the most issues with their trailers have special ordered them!

Not sure what that means . . . but sure seems like some kind of sign to me?

Thanks guys! Looks like we are probably ordering from Chesapeake RV solutions the do seem to have great service and competitive pricing. Unfortunately we haven't been able to find the floor plan we want with our top 4 must have options and the custom prices are about the same as lot prices.

dieseldogsdad

After contacting about 20 dealers, I just ordered a 3750FL from Holman and was able to get a better price than other dealers pay for the unit. Or so they say anyway. It has been my experience that unless you purchase a leftover model, you will get the same price ordering or on the lot. So you may as well order one the way you want it. These things are a big investment, why settle for something you are not fully happy with.

pegmikef

After contacting about 20 dealers, I just ordered a 3750FL from Holman and was able to get a better price than other dealers pay for the unit. Or so they say anyway. It has been my experience that unless you purchase a leftover model, you will get the same price ordering or on the lot. So you may as well order one the way you want it. These things are a big investment, why settle for something you are not fully happy with.

And to add to this, often you can get a better price when you are ordering one from a dealer as the dealer really has no financial investment (other than his good will) in the ordered unit. Typically he will require ten percent down from you to place the order, he won't have to floor plan it because when it comes in you will be paying the balance and he doesn't need to use "lot" space to store it. This serves to let them give you a little better deal (at least mine did in Abilene). Remember, not only is the price of coach negotiable, so is the MSRP of every ordered option. I personally feel a good deal is at least 30 percent off of the MSRP of the coach and options.

Westwind

The other task is determining a reasonable MSRP, at least on this forum the MSRP factory list is posted and that helps us, but there are some MSRP prices on the web sites that blow your mind when your looking at them. I've never taking the time to double check them for the heck of it but it does make you wonder.

Bohemian

The other task is determining a reasonable MSRP, at least on this forum the MSRP factory list is posted and that helps us, but there are some MSRP prices on the web sites that blow your mind when your looking at them. I've never taking the time to double check them for the heck of it but it does make you wonder.

Take 1/3 off MSRP of those options and they are very reasonable.

Last edited:

Bohemian

I like to buy off of the lot as well.

It seems to me that those who have the most issues with their trailers have special ordered them!

It might mean that people who order are much more picky.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

IMHO, this is a completely unfounded statement.

We, as well as many friends, have factory ordered our rigs with little to no problems.

If you can't find the coach you want on a dealer's lot, do not hesitate to build a wish list of options on the rig model you would like and factory order it.
Trace

jnbhobe

For me there would be no other way to get what I want. I never buy off the lot, I guess I want it my way.

Mrsfish

After seeing the way lot rv's are treated by lookers and their children, as well as knowing for fact that the dealership steals off these units all the time and replaces later, I would never buy off the lot unless it had exactly what I want and it came in yesterday!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We bought our current/first 5er off the lot. It had all but one option I thought we'd want (dual panes). Had a couple of things we discovered after a couple times out but HL and the dealer handled those to my satisfaction. A few other things I took care of myself. Next one will be special order now that we have a better idea of wants vs needs. Also pretty sure it will be another BH!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

It might mean that people who order are much more picky.

IMHO, this is a completely unfounded statement.

We, as well as many friends, have factory ordered our rigs with little to no problems.

If you can't find the coach you want on a dealer's lot, do not hesitate to build a wish list of options on the rig model you would like and factory order it.
Trace

Actually, in the real world, it probably means that the manufacturers probaly don't start them on the date that they told you they were going to start building it, and rush it through the factory a week later than when they told you it would be done!

Most of the people here that have major issues, it seems, ordered them from the factory . . . not bought it off of a dealers lot!

If you don't believe me . . . take a poll!