Junction box on pin box

farside291

My issue was that the pigtail was too long and it eventually got caught on the receiver hitch on the truck (with no ball mount in it) and ripped the pigtail right out of the junction box.

Blew a bunch of fuses under the hood of the truck when it ripped out and mangled the junction box.

View attachment 55024 View attachment 55025 View attachment 55026

Needless to say it is now 10-inches shorter.

That is strange that Heartland would mount those boxes in different locations. My 2015 BC the box is inside the pin box mount. You can't even see the metal box from the outside without looking in from the rear.

wdk450

Getting back to the original replies, pinbox/truck 5th wheel hitch height settings should be first dictated by adjusting for level ride of the trailer and 2 trailer axles. Hopefully that will give you the 5th wheel trailer overhang to truck bed clearance you need. Having the trailer NOT riding level will cause overloading on one of the trailer axles, along with extra tire and suspension wear.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Hey Bob & Patty . . .

Miss youz guyz . . .

Can't wait to see you again sometime soon!

NHCelt

To the op....so you feel better, it happened to me too. I knew I had to move it, but waited too long. I now have a nice conversation piece on the plastic side rail top in my new truck.

Heartland isn't thinking this one through. I moved mine up into the pin box mounted to the wood floor and added a cable clamp at the original mounting location. Box is still a little squished, but I was on the road and didn't feel like getting into a major project. Hey, it's a junction box that nobody will ever see....

gfnesbitt

Be s good time to upgrade to a better junction box too

I changed mine out with this one

Bargman 787535 7-Way Junction Box https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083EQAYU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_7Nx2OWHdtUSNh

I marked all the wiring before unraveling the factory mess, added ring adapters, very happy with the way it turned out

a8f8cd7d41f75550fa9d0e323bbf2e13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have everything in your pic but the pigtail, where did you find it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TxRoadWarrior362

You can move it to where ever you want.!!!
I've been making these 7-way Boxs with coiled cord and light switch for a lot of our fellow RV's over the last year. It seems to be on mostly Big Horns & Landmarks and haven't had any issues yet. Not sure what Pinbox is on the Big Country.
You can mount them high as possible in the pinbox and hopefully resolve your issue.

6753a0c91ece90e43d6aafe45099b1a7.jpg

f09a9afda5b50ff61209a8ec173b4873.jpg

879b59abd79ec2a3bdf8fb5690a60384.jpg

Hello Jess-

Small world. I met a nice couple that have their 5er stored two spots down from mine. Pat and Elaine (Possum51) were very proud of the new 7 way, breakaway, and cord holder you recently installed for them at a rally. I was impressed by your workmanship, and the hazard switch was a great addition! I want the same setup for my RW 362. Do you charge for mobile service? Lol. Can you put me on the list to purchase the setup please.

Tim

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Hi Tim
I met Pat and Elaine last month, wonderful people. I can make you up a box next week when we get back home.

PM me your info

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

Be s good time to upgrade to a better junction box too

I changed mine out with this one

Bargman 787535 7-Way Junction Box https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083EQAYU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_7Nx2OWHdtUSNh

I marked all the wiring before unraveling the factory mess, added ring adapters, very happy with the way it turned out

a8f8cd7d41f75550fa9d0e323bbf2e13.jpg

I used a 10 way junction box by Pollack available from eTrailer:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Pollak/PK52248.html

You won’t need the 10 posts but the longer box gives you more room to work in. Take pictures of the factory mess before starting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TxRoadWarrior362

Hi Tim
I met Pat and Elaine last month, wonderful people. I can make you up a box next week when we get back home.

PM me your info

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Good morning Jerrod, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Got my RW back from the dealer yesterday. Installing my new "Jerrod Made" 7 way today. What are you using for a break away cord? I think you use some kind of coil cord for it as well??

Tim

Hippy

I like that coiled pigtail . . .

I should have gotten one of those when I fixed mine after ripping it out.

Even though it is now 10-inches shorter, I still run a bungee cord across the bed of the truck and run the pigtail under it to keep it from dropping low enough to catch on the hitch.

Eventually I plan on getting a trailer plug mounted in the bed of the truck, which should eliminate this issue.

Or maybe I should just buy one of Jerrod's Infamous Junction Boxes! :cool:

I had the same issue and damage on my truck and junction box.
I took the box and reversed it so it would be on the inside. That solved my problem.

TxRoadWarrior362

Ok. Junction box wiring back to trailer..... How do I know which wires go where on my new "Jerrod Made" junction box? Do I need to test each wire coming from the trailer to determine what it operates?