Just getting set up

hp2guy

We just cut the check for a Cyclone 4100 King. Awaiting delivery on a Ram 5500 Max Tow Chassis Cab w/ a C&M bed.

Our RV dealer recommends we get a B&W Companion system installed by the truck dealer when they mount the bed.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations?

jimtoo

Hi hp2guy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

When you go for PDI,, do a really good, slow inspection of everything.

Jim M

donr827

As Jim said do a very very good PDI before signing the check. Try out every system to make sure they work before leaving the dealer. Be sure they fill all the tanks with water to make sure there are no leaks in the tank system and that the valves that empty them work smoothly when you empty the tanks............Don

danemayer

Our RV dealer recommends we get a B&W Companion system installed by the truck dealer when they mount the bed.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations?

Hi hp2guy,

Many of us have either pin boxes or hitches with air cushions and shock absorbers. If you don't have a MorRyde or TrailAir pin box, you might want to consider a Hensley TS3 TrailerSaver Hitch. It costs more than a B&W but will smooth out the ride for both truck and trailer.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
The B&W Companion is a very good choice! Being able to remove the 5th wheel (or use the truck for a gooseneck) with just a couple minutes effort is a great convenience.
We chose the MorRyde pin box and have been quite pleased with it. You have plenty of time to do your homework and choose the pinbox you like best. Some owners even find that their rig pulls well enough without changing the pinbox.
Congratulations on the new rig!

scottyb

The B&W is a very good choice, especially if you might ever pull a gooseneck trailer. Being able to remove the hitch quickly to have a clean bed or to slip in a gooseneck ball is great. Not sure how important that is for you on your custom bed. I also highly recommend an air cushioned pin box. We had a 5th Airborne installed on our 4100 and have liked it a lot after 14000 mi.

blong

Another vote for the B and W companion hitch and fifth airborne pin box, very happy with this setup pulling our 4100.

congrats and enjoy!

Dloebrich

I bought a B & W and like it but if I had to do it over I would've went to Hensley manufacturing for an air ride hitch.
We have a 4000 hitched to a chevy 3500 drw but it's no match for those Michigan hi ways!

porthole

Retired
There are several recommendations for a hensley air ride hitch here.

I would suggest you research that a bit before dropping $2000 plus on a hitch that will wear out and cannot be serviced easily or inexpensively.

ILH

Many people, myself included, like the ride quality of the Hensley. Service is excellent too. However, another reason for considering it is that the investment stays with the truck, not the trailer - so if you sell / trade your trailer in a few years, you don't have to invest against in a specialized pinbox setup.

porthole

Retired
Many people, myself included, like the ride quality of the Hensley. Service is excellent too. However, another reason for considering it is that the investment stays with the truck, not the trailer - so if you sell / trade your trailer in a few years, you don't have to invest against in a specialized pinbox setup.

Not referring to ride quality. The ride quality is OK with our hitch and I like being able to adjust based on our load, which changes based on trailer loading (toy hauler). And it gives me the ability to raise my pin box above my truck's roll top cover rails. But I would get that with any air ride hitch.

Service and serviceability is what i was referring too. You have a BD-3, so I don't have much to say about it. Never saw one. But, the hitch head appears to be the same head assembly used on the TS-3, which I have. In fact, in the BD-3 manual, the TS-3 is shown for reference.

I can understand that parts can wear, and if the wear items were available I would be a bit more enthused. But, you cannot buy any parts for the upper hitch assemble, only a $600+ complete hitch head unit.

Next time your trailer is unhitched, jump up in the bed and see how much play is between the saddle and the pivot pins. You can't properly grease those areas and you can't buy the pins when they wear out.
The actual saddle should never wear out, so would should you be forced to buy it?