Keeping a Refridgerator cold when driving

BigGuy82

Yes !!!!
Some will say it's unsafe to drive with the gas on but I think about 98% of use all do it or at least did it before we switch to a residential fridge

Just curious - I've owned three RV's and I've never heard that before (unless you are driving through a tunnel where it is generally mandated by law). RV version of an urban legend? I don't have the reefer manual handy, but the Heartland Owners Guide makes no reference to shutting down the unit before travel, either in the LP section or the appliance section (unless I missed it). If you had to shut it down while on the road, it would be totally useless.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I agree
I have read some posts on here before where someone said they never run with the propane tanks open.
Can't remember who or when.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

I agree
I have read some posts on here before where someone said they never run with the propane tanks open.
Can't remember who or when.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

They must spend a lot to replace spoiled food

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

From the Heartland Trailer Manual.

Propane Warning.jpg
From the Dometic RM1350 Manual
Dometic RM1350 propane warning.jpg

If running the refrigerator while towing, you have an open flame 2" from the outside wall. While refueling your truck, you could be near gasoline fumes that could be ignited by that open flame.

Mac the Fire Guy gives seminars on RV fire risks and strongly recommends not towing with the refrigerator running on propane.

That said, many people routinely use their refrigerator on propane while towing and don't turn it off when refueling.

BigGuy82

From the Heartland Trailer Manual.

View attachment 49475
From the Dometic RM1350 Manual
View attachment 49476

If running the refrigerator while towing, you have an open flame 2" from the outside wall. While refueling your truck, you could be near gasoline fumes that could be ignited by that open flame.

Mac the Fire Guy gives seminars on RV fire risks and strongly recommends not towing with the refrigerator running on propane.

That said, many people routinely use their refrigerator on propane while towing and don't turn it off when refueling.

If I had a gas truck, I might worry about that. I always fuel at diesel pumps at truck stops - no gasoline around. If Mac the Fire Guy is available, I'd be curious how many explosions have been caused by running reefers - the data has to be out there somewhere. Erring on the side of safety is always wise, however, we still have to not use cell phones when refueling and yet there's nothing but speculation to prove that it is a valid concern.

Interesting subject.

danemayer

If I had a gas truck, I might worry about that. I always fuel at diesel pumps at truck stops - no gasoline around.

At a truck stop, you might be right that there's no gasoline close by. But at locations such as the RV islands at some truck stops, the other side of the pump you're at could have a gas pump. And a little spilled gas goes quite a long way.

BigGuy82

At a truck stop, you might be right that there's no gasoline close by. But at locations such as the RV islands at some truck stops, the other side of the pump you're at could have a gas pump. And a little spilled gas goes quite a long way.

Agreed. I've had too many problems going to "regular" stations and I've never seen an RV island at a truck stop but I'm sure I'll get to one eventually. If I do, it's no big deal to shut the reefer off for a few minutes. I don't think there's any risk, but it's not up to me to put others at risk.

Oregon_Camper

If Mac the Fire Guy is available, I'd be curious how many explosions have been caused by running reefers - the data has to be out there somewhere.

Erring on the side of safety is always wise, however, we still have to not use cell phones when refueling and yet there's nothing but speculation to prove that it is a valid concern.

Agreed...remember when we had to turn off all electronics on planes as that would surely bring the airplane crashing from the sky. Bzzzzztt....that wasn't the case and now we simply need to turn off cell coverage (and that is questionable too)

I have been running with the refrigerator on while towing for >30 years....and I'm still around.

LBR

The myth of cell phone sparking a gas station explosion has been busted by Mythbusters, Snopes, and Verizon....I personally don't worry about it.

johnf

Thank you for the honesty of your replies. From them I gather there is no problem travelling with the propane fridge running but turn it off when in the vicinity of a gas station.

John

wdk450

If I had a gas truck, I might worry about that. I always fuel at diesel pumps at truck stops - no gasoline around. If Mac the Fire Guy is available, I'd be curious how many explosions have been caused by running reefers - the data has to be out there somewhere. Erring on the side of safety is always wise, however, we still have to not use cell phones when refueling and yet there's nothing but speculation to prove that it is a valid concern.

Interesting subject.

I take it a step further and (besides being diesel) will only refuel with the trailer in tow only when I seem to have no other option. If on a long trip, I will normally unhitch and refuel at the end of the day. This also makes for a much easier fuel island access experience than having the full 58 foot rig.

Steve3717

I carry a Yamaha inverter generator in the bed of my pickup. Does anyone have any thoughts on running a power cord from the back of the refrigerator, through the the fifth wheel and into the bed of the pickup so the the frig can be run by the generator while driving?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

myla296

I carry a Yamaha inverter generator in the bed of my pickup. Does anyone have any thoughts on running a power cord from the back of the refrigerator, through the the fifth wheel and into the bed of the pickup so the the frig can be run by the generator while driving?

The extension cord and wind would scare the bejesus out of me...I don't care how much one thinks they might have secured something, that creates way too many variables that are way too awful in my mind.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh

My thought is don't do it. My other thought is if you are that afraid of your propane system either get a residential fridge, don't buy food until you get to where you are going, or eat out.

Steve3717

My thought is don't do it. My other thought is if you are that afraid of your propane system either get a residential fridge, don't buy food until you get to where you are going, or eat out.
I wouldn't say I'm "afraid" of my propane system, but I'm hearing arguments on both sides of the question.

Steve3717

The extension cord and wind would scare the bejesus out of me...I don't care how much one thinks they might have secured something, that creates way too many variables that are way too awful in my mind.
It wouldn't necessarily be an extension cord, but hard wired through the RV, through the pin box and into the bed of the truck. Just a thought.