Keeping the @#$ %&*! Drawers Shut While Travelling

wdk450

Gang:
Over my 4 years of ownership, I have fought this problem on most every trip. More, now that I am keeping more foodstuffs in the trailer. I have mainly had the problem with the big drawer under my double refrigerator and with the storage drawer under the sofa/airbed. The Heartland crew even worked on the sofa at the Gillette national rally as one of my free service items, installed 2 new latches (originally it only had 1), but it started coming open on the road again. I have tried some of the childproofing plastic springy latches, but they were not strong enough, even with epoxy re-enforcement. I looked through all of the RV hardware and childproofing drawer/cabinet devices I could find online. Last trip I stretched bungy cords from one end fascia of the refrigerator/stove slide, through the drawer handles to the fascia at the other end of the slide. That worked but is cumbersome. What I just needed was a stronger version of the plastic childproofing latch. This is the type of latch where the drawer opens about an inch, you reach in the opened gap, depress the spring-loaded latch, and the drawer can now be fully opened. Well, a lightbulb lit up above my head, and I thought of a way to do this simply and inexpensively.

Parts List for each latch (Most of these parts are sold in multiple units. I got them all at Home Depot):
(Parts price is about $3 per latch)

1 3 inch strap hinge
1 1/4 inch X 1 inch .035 inch compression spring (this will be cut in 1/2)
1 6-32 X 2 inch machine screw
2 6-32 Nuts

Here is a picture of the parts:
020.jpg

Here is a strap hinge as bought, and as bent (measurements not critical) for the latch:
024.jpg
Here is the finished product:
026.jpg
O.K. A 3/16 inch hole was drilled in the top strap at a point directly above the end hole in the bottom strap. From the bottom strap end hole, from the bottom up, the 3/16 inch screw is placed with a nut on the top side of that bottom strap. The compression spring is cut in half with side cutters. Over the screw shaft the (now) 1/4 inch by 1/2 inch spring is placed. The end of the screw is guided through the hole drilled in the top strap, and the other nut is screwed to the top of the screw. Adjust the top nut until the top strap makes a right angle with the bottom strap. Cut off the excess screw body with side cutters. Secure the top nut with Locktite or super glue.

Here is a photo of the latch as it is to be used (it is just propped in place in this picture):
029.jpg
Again, you push down on the top of the latch to get the latch to clear the drawer top frame, then pull the drawer open.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bill, nice work, but you should have talked to Pat about this issue at the last rally you were at. She has some throw rugs for the Horn. Shes rolls them up and puts them under the BIG drawer when we travel. Trust me it does not come open.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I posted a similar problem some time ago. The drawer under the couch kept rolling out and after a while the bottom fell out. I stored more than 50# in it.

I took and rebuilt it and added casters on the bottom. It was supported by drawer slides and was hard to get back into the couch. The casters make it so we can pull it out and they are stiff enough that it doesn't roll out while traveling. The carpet provides most of the resistance..

DSC_1190M.jpg

Works great for me..

BC

porthole

Retired
Pretty nifty idea there.

I use "pony tail" bands on upper cabinet doors, the coauch drawer have a piece of 1" nylon strap with snaps and in the garage for the cabinet I added I use a 3' fiberglass rod running from the top down.

wdk450

Fellow Heartlanders:
Thanks for all of the input. A major part of my pre-trip interior inspection is to deploy bungees on all of the dual cabinet openings, and many of the single cabinet openings, both in the living room/kitchen and the bedroom.

wdk450

Everybody:
Once you have "re-invented the wheel" sure enough you will discover a pre-made wheel. I was looking through the RV Parts Nation online catalog this morning after learning about this suppllier in the Heartland Owners Newsletter, and found (what looks to be) a heavier, flex plastic, one-piece drawer latch for about $4. Here is the link: http://www.rvpartsnation.com/product/2384/drawer-lock

pstacey

We found a very effective Child Proof drawer catch in Home Depot (Just love that place). Seven in the box complete with screws and easy to install.
PeterS

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We found a very effective Child Proof drawer catch in Home Depot (Just love that place). Seven in the box complete with screws and easy to install.
PeterS

Can you post a picture, or a link to the product?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

On the childproofing latches I have used like these, there are 2 mounting holes in the vertical bar at one end (not the end with a slanted ramp). This part is screwed inside the drawer face at a highth where the latch lip catches on the interior top frame of the drawer. This arrangement allows the drawer to be opened about an inch, so you can reach in with a finger and depress the springy arm enough for the latch to clear the drawer top frame. When you shut the door, the angled latch face slips under the drawer frame top.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We took a piece of Velcro on the back of the face of the drawer and it keeps them closed.

ParkIt

We took a piece of Velcro on the back of the face of the drawer and it keeps them closed.
I'm lazy and would do the same thing though so far, none of the drawers have slid out while traveling...then again we haven't gone very far...yet.