Key West water shut off for ice maker

gandmrv

A while back I had a water leak behind my refrigerator, I could not find d a shut off valve anywhere and all the tips I got on where to look came up empty, so I installed oNE outside under the slide out and then fixed my leak, problem solved. But I had a few not so complimentary thoughts for Heartland for not installing a valve in my unit, as I was sure mine was the only one that didn't have one..well..today I have to retract all those thoughts, I found the valve. On the door side of the island in kitchen the center panel is a door! Behind the dishwasher (if equipped, mine is), right I side that door is the valve that shuts water on/off to the ice maker. .along with easy access to the plumbing under the kitchen sink..I feel kind of stupid for not discovering this sooner, but it was not covered in my walk through and it not found anywhere in the owners manual..so I guess this is for anyone that has a 365 with kitchen island and ice maker refrigerator ..hope it helps someone out there..

We've been in our 2016 Key West full time since June and still loving it!

Greg & Mary
2014 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4
2016 Landmark 365, Key West

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Greg & Mary

Or you could of called Heartland customer service to get an answer. When ever I need a answer to something I call the people who know.

TxCowboy

We discovered the center door on the kitchen island during our PDI. It was an item on the PDI checklist we got here on this forum and was also linked to locating the shutoff valves for the dishwasher, which is something we had added by the dealer as part of our purchase negotiation.

The dishwasher values are behind this door but we found the icemaker cutoff under the kitchen island drawers after removing the door-side panel. (This doorside panel is held in place by brad nails so it is very easy to remove and just slips back into place.)

Hope this helps others looking for these water cutoffs in the Landmark series.

ksucats

There is also a valve of some type under the slide out close to where the ice maker water line goes up into the slide. It appears that it has a small hole in it so I'm thinking it is like a low-point drain. Unfortunately mine is so corroded from when they brought the unit down from Goshen (and didn't wash off the under belly) that I'm afraid it will break off. One of the many things that need to be fixed under warranty - that is another issue though.

You might check to see if you have that one as well.

danemayer

There is also a valve of some type under the slide out close to where the ice maker water line goes up into the slide. It appears that it has a small hole in it so I'm thinking it is like a low-point drain. Unfortunately mine is so corroded from when they brought the unit down from Goshen (and didn't wash off the under belly) that I'm afraid it will break off. One of the many things that need to be fixed under warranty - that is another issue though.

You might check to see if you have that one as well.
That's the drain for the ice maker water feed line. Unfortunately, it doesn't do a very good job of draining the line. I recommend evacuating the water from the feed line using compressed air, in which case you can leave that drain valve alone.

ksucats

Dan: Air is what I used, did all the water faucets. Then closed off the valve under the sink (Island - under the bottom drawer - an awkward reach but got it turned off) and then we did the RV antifreeze to everything else as well just to make sure no water left in low places. Maybe overkill but I figure $8.00 in RV antifreeze is cheap insurance. :cool:

danemayer

Dan: Air is what I used, did all the water faucets. Then closed off the valve under the sink (Island - under the bottom drawer - an awkward reach but got it turned off) and then we did the RV antifreeze to everything else as well just to make sure no water left in low places. Maybe overkill but I figure $8.00 in RV antifreeze is cheap insurance. :cool:
When using air, did you cycle the ice maker to evacuate all the water from the feed line and refrigerator parts?
If you haven't already done so, take a look at the Residential Refrigerator Guide.

jbeletti

In the Landmark 365 floor plans, my understanding is that the refer water line cut-off valve is always in the island cabinet.

In the case of my Ashland, I have the dishwasher option and I found my refer water line cut-off valve in the base of the end cabinet (front-north) - so left of the dishwasher as you face the door. To access it, I had to remove the bottom drawer.

ksucats

Yep - had looked at the guides/manuals the group had posted, looked at several even before we made the jump to the Landmark -- wanted to be sure that the residential refer was really an option we wanted (Jury's still out on that, every time we've gone anywhere the freezer has come open some and things have melted.

In our case I took the back panel off (as Jim and Jeff have mentioned as well - I was fortunate enough to see one of the techs open one up before we got ours). On ours the shut-off is located to the far right side of the island, under the bottom drawer (as we are facing the island from the dining table). As I said, it was a bear to get in there far enough, even with the drawer pulled out - I might try to actually remove the drawer in the Spring and see if I can get to the knob easier. Regardless, air was used to clear the ice maker and the cold water reservoir. Hopefully no surprises in the Spring.

That brings up another point, we don't have a washer or dryer at this time but I also opened those valves and got quite a bit of water out of them when we did the air. What surprised the H out of me is when I went to do the Antifreeze I redid the air one more time just to be sure and got a bunch of water out of the washer lines again. ??? Now have RV antifreeze in them so, again, hopefully no surprises. That said, we hope to be taking the coach to New Mexico in a couple of weeks for about a week. Will have to rewinterize it then, again :( - wish we were staying south!! Oh well, another post for another day.

meagle

Due to ice maker line leak woes I had a shut off valve placed on the line outside of the coach. I did this after the ice maker line leaked to the point where my entire slide floor had to be replaced and all of the carpet in the living area replaced. I had the shut off valve placed along the frame of the unit. It is easy to reach and use. I am able to turn off all water to the ice maker and have at least some degree of confidence that there will be not water leaks from the ice maker line inside the coach.

danemayer

Due to ice maker line leak woes I had a shut off valve placed on the line outside of the coach. I did this after the ice maker line leaked to the point where my entire slide floor had to be replaced and all of the carpet in the living area replaced. I had the shut off valve placed along the frame of the unit. It is easy to reach and use. I am able to turn off all water to the ice maker and have at least some degree of confidence that there will be not water leaks from the ice maker line inside the coach.

Is there a reason you didn't use the shut off valve that's inside the coach?

Also, if your new valve is exposed to outside air, if temperatures ever go below freezing, the line around your new valve will freeze and be damaged.

meagle

I just tapped into the existing line that runs along the frame outside of the coach. The existing ice maker line was routed that way from the factory. I believe that it was a poor design to have it exposed to cold temperatures. The shut off valve inside the coach leaked as well as the connection fitting at the back of the refrigerator. It was replaced. I decided to add another, "easy to get to" shut off valve that would stop all water from the ice maker line going into the coach.