King to Queen bed modification

jrzygrl64

Hello all!

We own a 2014 Landmark Grand Canyon and would like to cut down our king bed platform and make it queen size. I found the thread by "fivernine" that was started back in 2008, and while his pics and detailed explanations are great, I was wondering if anyone has done it more recently than that. I am just concerned that something may have changed in the construction of the bed frames and/or electric slide mechanisms and don't want any avoidable issues after the project is underway.

Can anyone give us any insights into this, please?

TIA,

Bill and Kelly

MCTalley

Did Fivernine disassemble and re-assemble his frame? I remember someone going to all that trouble.

We cut the top board down to just the size of the frame and called it a day on ours. The queen mattress is about 3 inches narrower than our frame, but we're good with that. Blankets and comforters cover that "step" just fine.

I didn't do a whole How-To article on our conversion, but here's a picture mid-construction showing the top cut back to the frame. Note that the boards used to be as wide as the slide.

bedconstruction.jpg

dbbls59

I cut mine down this summer. My unit has the cable operated bedroom slide. It was simple to do. I removed the bed platform and cut it down. Then I removed the frame from the wall and shortened the 2x2 that was attached to the wall. I removed the same amount from each side so the bed would be centered. I disassembled one side of the frame, cut it down and reassembled it. I had to reposition one roller that was under the frame. Then I mounted the frame to the 2x2 on the wall and replaced the bed platform. Then made a trip to the mattress store and got my new queen size bed. Sorry but I didn't take any pictures but it was easy to do once you get into it and see how it was put together. Just be careful how you cut it down so all the bare wood is covered with the finished panel. I did not have to refinish any wood and you can't tell it was modified. The only downside is the loss of some storage space under the bed.

jrzygrl64

Yes, he took apart the whole bed and we are planning to do that as well. If the frame was only an inch or two too big I wouldn't mind, but the box is 6" wider than the queen mattress. We've had it this way for months and I hate it - the top board that you cut only overhangs the box by less than an inch on each side, when it was the king mattress on it the mattress overhung by 2 inches on each side, so just removing that gave us more space but we bump our shins all the time and think the extra walking space will be worth the effort.

Do you know if anything has changed since his post? Could I call Heartland and ask them? Maybe that's what I should do.

Thanks for for your reply.

jrzygrl64

Thanks Don! Bill wants to know how you reattached the finished panels? He was thinking he might have to rent a nail gun - but were you able to do it by hand?

I'll let you know how it comes out!

dbbls59

I have a brad nailer, Bill. The nailer made it easier to reattach the paneling but it could be done by hand.

jrzygrl64

Thanks for all your replies! We are starting the project this Tuesday and I will let you know how it goes.

If if anyone has any last minute advice - we are listening!

Thanks again!

Kelly and Bill

VKTalley

Thanks for all your replies! We are starting the project this Tuesday and I will let you know how it goes.

If if anyone has any last minute advice - we are listening!

Thanks again!

Kelly and Bill

Kelly, post pictures of before and after for everyone to see!

porthole

Retired
Extra caution using brad sailors, especially cheap ones.
Not unusual to have the brads not drive where you expect them. Watch your fingers and EYE PROTECTION.

Birchwood

I did it with our Pinehurst.Its a tedious job but rewarding and the residential queen mattress, storage compartment side and bed top platform are close in size.
Having a king size bed in a small room is ridiculous.Its just a dumb selling feature for some reason!!

scottyb

I did it with our Pinehurst.Its a tedious job but rewarding and the residential queen mattress, storage compartment side and bed top platform are close in size.
Having a king size bed in a small room is ridiculous.Its just a dumb selling feature for some reason!!

It's the major reason I bought a Heartland. They had the only KS bed offered in a Toy Hualer in 2013 (4100 King). Now, as I look for my next RV, the 1st qualifier is a King bed. If it doesn't have a King, I just keep thumbing through the floor plans.

iawoody2

It's the major reason I bought a Heartland. They had the only KS bed offered in a Toy Hualer in 2013 (4100 King). Now, as I look for my next RV, the 1st qualifier is a King bed. If it doesn't have a King, I just keep thumbing through the floor plans.

X2 wouldn't be without the king

Birchwood

I just think King should be an option instead of Queen.

jbeletti

I just think King should be an option instead of Queen.

It used to be that way, a long time ago. But more people ordered the king over the queen and at some point, it got switched to being the standard.

We have 2 small dogs (Yorkies), they insist on the king :)

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

I'll take the King bed over a little extra room anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birchwood

It used to be that way, a long time ago. But more people ordered the king over the queen and at some point, it got switched to being the standard.

We have 2 small dogs (Yorkies), they insist on the king :)
Guess we would order the optional queen if we have the opportunity.We just enjoy the extra floor space around the bed....it just looks more proportioned also.
A king bed is nice in a hotel where there are maids to make and wash the bedding.

Fonz46

We have a 2014 3570 Bighorn and just finished this same modification. I removed the plywood to expose the bed frame and decided to remove 10" of the framing from just one side. To me, this seems easier than having to cut both sides. I actually made all my cuts with the bed frame in place using a Rockwell multi-tool with a round blade. If you measure and cut very carefully, you can do a very neat job that shows no sign of being modified. I did use an air bradder to secure the cut 2 X 2 framing as well as the finish paneling. I did have to remount and center the 2 rollers on the bottom of the frame. We installed a Sleep Number C-2 mattress with a memory foam topper. We used our king bed for about a year and decided we would prefer the extra space around the bed as well as being much easier to make up. One final modification I forgot to mention is I installed styrofoam insulation under the part of the frame that's on the slide. Not sure how much that will help, but it was an easy and cheap mod. If I can be of any assistance, give me a shout.