Kitchen/Microwave Vent

Bohemian

Do both the convection and non-convection MW ovens come with an outside vent, or just the convection?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Do both the convection and non-convection MW ovens come with an outside vent, or just the convection?

I don't think any of the microwave ovens come with an outside vent.

I believe it is the hood over the stove that has the vent!

At least that is how our trailer is set up.

pegmikef

Kary from Heartland sent us some photos. We got it open! It was a rather tough push. I was initially concerned about breaking it. We left it open on our drive to our first campsite (we are there now). It traveled well. I need our ladder to get up and close or open it.

Thanks for the help!

If you read some of the earlier posts you will see that some of us have opened the vent and never closed it again. I forgot it the first couple of trips, now I don't even bother with it.

JohnD

If you read some of the earlier posts you will see that some of us have opened the vent and never closed it again. I forgot it the first couple of trips, now I don't even bother with it.

I like to keep our vent closed and locked when not in use to keep the critters out.

Not to mention that on our old Coachman TT bees and hornets liked to build nests in that little cubby hole.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I don't think any of the microwave ovens come with an outside vent.

I believe it is the hood over the stove that has the vent!

At least that is how our trailer is set up.

Our Microwave/convection oven is also the range vent and vents out the vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bohemian

So, now that we have determined and I have confirmed by looking at photos of the RVs on the web, the MW has the vent built in. There is no additional hood, at least in many models. So, is the hood only in the convection models or is it in both the convection and non-convection models?

Birchwood

The only time I would bother closing our vent would be if we stored the rv outside in the winter ....... keep the snow outside.Now that we live in our RV we just leave it open and its been that way for 5 years

jbeletti

I have the new style and have left it open since August. Many miles traveled and it's still there. The air pressure from using the oven does push the vent open further. When the oven is off, the vent is at rest and for the most part - closed, though not latched.

JohnD

Kitchen/Microwave Vent...when not in use...LOCK IT UP!

I have the new style and have left it open since August. Many miles traveled and it's still there. The air pressure from using the oven does push the vent open further. When the oven is off, the vent is at rest and for the most part - closed, though not latched.

While it may be OK to leave this vent unlocked, I can't express any stronger how bad it is inside of the trailer when a hornet or Queen wasp decides to make this their nesting area.

Let me put it this way . . . it can ruin an entire campout (been there, done that . . . got the T-shirt)!

Wait 'till you crawl into your sleeping bag . . . only to discover that a couple of wasps or hornets are already in there!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I removed my vent then put a metal screen on the opening, then replaced the vent. That was even if it is open insects cannot enter. I used metal window screen rather than vinyl as I did not want it to melt.

JeromyS

I just got back from a 3200 mile trip with the vent not secured and sadly it did not survive. The hinge pins on the top broke. This was on a 2013 Elkridge 37 Ultimate. I'm now going to need to search for a replacement vent or cover. My vent style had the two twisting locks to keep it secure during travel.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just got back from a 3200 mile trip with the vent not secured and sadly it did not survive. The hinge pins on the top broke. This was on a 2013 Elkridge 37 Ultimate. I'm now going to need to search for a replacement vent or cover. My vent style had the two twisting locks to keep it secure during travel.

You can replace just the flap alone, but it is tricky and can easily break as you are installing.

I have researched other vent styles, but the openings these vents fit in are all different sizes. None would work with the current opening except a direct replacement, unless you could alter the opening size (not an easy task.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk