Kitchen sink dropping, easier to remove cabinet top?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
On my 2011 Keylargo, the kitchen sink is starting to drop on the back side. The cabinets are pretty small, so I was wondering if it might be better to just remove the cabinet top and fix the sink, verses crawling into the cabinets to try and get at the back side of the sink. Anyone do this or any ideas?

danemayer

I think there should be clips on the underside of the sink that secure it to the counter. I haven't had the pleasure, but I'd guess you get to them from underneath.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mikeandconnie

Yes, the clips bend very easy. They are too thin. My sink dropped on my first trip and yes it's very hard to get to the back of the sink. I removed all the drain line and was able to reach them. I also cut a piece of 1 by 2 and placed it under the sink as a additional support.

I plan to order more clips and double them to make them thicker.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I would think that removing the counter top to access the rear clips will be more work than you realize. Accessing the clips from the rear is a bit of a contortionist's act, but doable. You may find the holes for the screws already there. They were on my missing front clips. A drill driver, with extensions and a magnetic bit would facilitate getting them in. Once the screws are almost tight, a stick to keep the clip from rotating out of position as you tighten them will help finish the job.

The photo was taken from the corner cabinet on our 3670. That double bowl sink should have two clips in front, two in back, and one at either end.

View attachment 21940

guyc66

Yes, the clips bend very easy. They are too thin. My sink dropped on my first trip and yes it's very hard to get to the back of the sink. I removed all the drain line and was able to reach them. I also cut a piece of 1 by 2 and placed it under the sink as a additional support.

I plan to order more clips and double them to make them thicker.

I just used some small braces (straight) from Wal-Mart and secured them across from the metal L channel that is already affixed to bottom of the sink. This gives good support to the sink and they are evenly spaced around. The braces are very stong and should hold everything tight up against the bottom of the counter. I also ran a new bead of clear caulk around the inside edge of the sink after all the braces were installed. I just don't understand why HL thought those cheap braces were going to hold up. Oh well, I like fixin' things and/or making improvements so I guess I should thank them for the the opportunity.
photo.jpg

Last edited:

Birchwood

I have resealed and reattached the sink twice and its no big deal.Just crawl under and loosen
the remaining fasteners,apply some caulking and retighten.Don't remove the counter top!!!

jcarnevale

We don't own the Key Largo but the same thing happened to our Sundance. The sink was dropping in the back and letting water underneath the countertop. After doing my best impression of a contortionist, I realized two of the screws in the back of the sink were loose. After tightening them I went and checked my computer for photographs I had taken at the factory when my rig was on the assembly line. Sure enough the two screws that were loose came that way from the factory. I don't know if you can see it or not, but the picture below shows the two screws not completely tightened.

Attachments

• 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 74

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow, I sure wish my sink was that easy to get to. Mine is like moving around in a 1 foot crawl space.