Kitchen Sink

Warrstang331

North Carolina Chapter Leaders
IMG_0801.jpgIMG_0804.jpgIMG_0805.jpg
This is what we woke up to this morning on our 2017 cyclone. What gives? Our 4th time out with the new unit. Already found a leaking outside shower. What's next???? 🤦*♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi Warrstang331,

Sorry you're having this problem. Seems like we see one of these once or twice a year from the factory not installing enough support brackets. Here's a link that might be helpful.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
From the looks of it, they didn't install any brackets to hold the sink up. Silly-cone alone won't do it. You can get the clips from Heartland for about $1.25 each, but they'll charge you like they're made of gold to ship them. You can make your own from metal stock or possibly find them in a hardware. Look for clips to support an undermount sink. In the photos, you can see what they look like. I had a small leak around the rim of the sink that I found early. Seems I was missing the front clips, along with one on the end. You'll want to have one on each end and two across the front and back, centered on the bowls. Then run a bead of silicone caulk around the perimeter of the sink/counter interface inside the opening.

Attachments

• End clip.JPG
    End clip.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Rear clips.JPG
    Rear clips.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 129

Warrstang331

It just amazes me that u pay so much for an RV and the issues that come from them. I can see this happening with a used RV but not one that we haven't had a year yet. I guess nothing done anymore is based on QUALITY? 🤦*♂️ SMH 🤦*♂️

Westwind

Since about 2011 these has been an occasional repeated problem, definitely something that needs to be fixed in the cabinet shop. The clips are the only solution to hold it in place and the silicone to seal any openings between the counter material and sink, I would advise removing the sink covers since the additional weight vibrating and bouncing while traveling doesn't help any. So you know you haven't been alone with this problem I too had the sinking sink.

BigGuy82

From the looks of it, they didn't install any brackets to hold the sink up. Silly-cone alone won't do it. You can get the clips from Heartland for about $1.25 each, but they'll charge you like they're made of gold to ship them. You can make your own from metal stock or possibly find them in a hardware. Look for clips to support an undermount sink. In the photos, you can see what they look like. I had a small leak around the rim of the sink that I found early. Seems I was missing the front clips, along with one on the end. You'll want to have one on each end and two across the front and back, centered on the bowls. Then run a bead of silicone caulk around the perimeter of the sink/counter interface inside the opening.

Personally, I'd take a trip to HD or Lowes, spend 2 bucks and get 'er done. While you're at it, pull the drain basket, throw out the cheap cardboard "gasket" and use plumbers putty instead. Those things will definitely leak , sooner rather than later. (My first one tore after about twenty "camping days". )

Side note: another handy tool is a PEX crimper and extra clamps. Just saying. Also, an extra Anderson valve cartridge is nice.

All this makes your RV plumbing life easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Personally, I'd take a trip to HD or Lowes, spend 2 bucks and get 'er done. While you're at it, pull the drain basket, throw out the cheap cardboard "gasket" and use plumbers putty instead. Those things will definitely leak , sooner rather than later. (My first one tore after about twenty "camping days". )

Side note: another handy tool is a PEX crimper and extra clamps. Just saying. Also, an extra Anderson valve cartridge is nice.

+1 on the PEX tools, fittings and a short length of the tubing. Sure, Sharkbite fittings are great. Until you find a sudden need for one and have to drive 60 miles to get it.

Warrstang331

Thanks to all but I do believe I will do it myself. Because if I had to wait for our camping world to get it done for me we won't get anymore camping in this year. Pex and tool I do have. I will be going thru and getting it done when I get my RV back to the house .

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I removed my countertop and after using silicon I used small pieces of 1/2 plywood. All my clips continued to do was stretch out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hogladyrider

We had the exact same thing happen in our 2017 Cyclone last summer while workamping. Thank heavens Gary is Mr. Fix It and made the repairs himself and now our sink will never again fall out!

IMO it is a losing battle to expect good QC on RV's. We had several minor issues with our brand new cyclone....faulty GFI so no electrical outlets worked, fireplace not wired.

The low pressure regulator valve in one of our propane tanks had to be replaced by Heartland along with an Anderson Valve Repair kit for the water selector valve. Heartland was very responsive to both these needs as we were getting ready to leave our winter headquarters and hit the road for the summer.

We had two Big Horns before our Cyclone and also had issues with them. We did not let this damper our spirits with Heartland. We are fulltimers in our Cyclone and we have lived in it now for just over a year and we are very happy with it in general.

Don't be surprised if other minor items crop up over time.

Susan & Gary

BigGuy82

We had the exact same thing happen in our 2017 Cyclone last summer while workamping. Thank heavens Gary is Mr. Fix It and made the repairs himself and now our sink will never again fall out!

IMO it is a losing battle to expect good QC on RV's. We had several minor issues with our brand new cyclone....faulty GFI so no electrical outlets worked, fireplace not wired.

The low pressure regulator valve in one of our propane tanks had to be replaced by Heartland along with an Anderson Valve Repair kit for the water selector valve. Heartland was very responsive to both these needs as we were getting ready to leave our winter headquarters and hit the road for the summer.

We had two Big Horns before our Cyclone and also had issues with them. We did not let this damper our spirits with Heartland. We are fulltimers in our Cyclone and we have lived in it now for just over a year and we are very happy with it in general.

Don't be surprised if other minor items crop up over time.

Susan & Gary

Well, actually if I wasn't "handy" and able to do 99% of the repairs myself (I refused to re-weld the mis-aligned frame brackets for the bike rack), my coach would be at the dealer more than on the road. All relatively minor stuff (to me) but still indicative of a lack of QC. Just the other day, I installed an RVLock on the driver side slam hatch. Easy job you say? Wrong - someone at the factory cut the latch hole sloppily, resulting in a tiny gap in the upper left corner. Not a big deal - a little dab of silicone did the trick. It was either that or a new slam hatch door - I suppose I could have gone to Heartland for a new door, but they would say it was the atermarket part even though the hole was cut poorly.

Point is, RV "quality" is a relative term. In my opinion, Heartland coaches are better than most mass produced coaches but overall quality still leaves much to be desired - just look at the complaints on this forum. Your sitting in your coach and the sink just falls out? Really? The best part is that others had the same thing happen, so it's not a rarity.

The RV industry will learn the exact same lesson Detroit did in the '70's as soon as the Japanese or Koreans figure out how to build these things and ship them over on a boat at a competitive price. One indicator that quality is not an issue with manufacturers is that fact that, with all of the various sub-forums on this forum, not one addresses "Quality". Might be helpful to Heartland and the owners if there was one. Just 'sayin.

SLO

Agree whole heartedly with BigGuy. Well said. Fixing everything myself, even when it was warranty, kept the stress level down.

BigGuy82

After seeing this I think I'll fix mine before it falls out, sounds like good insurance.

Probably a good idea, but it's a bit dicey with all the pipes hanging below the sink in a confined space. Removing the pipes should make it easier.

If the sinks are mounted to the bottom of the countertop before that countertop is installed, there is no excuse for this level of quality. If, on the other hand, the sinks are installed after the countertop is put in, it's my guess that because it is difficult to crawl underneath and fasten those clips, the workers take the path of least resistance which is to fasten just enough clips to hold the sink in place before it goes out the door. Still no excuse for sloppy workmanship but at least I can understand the problem.

If I was building these things, I'd install the sink and faucet before putting the countertop on.

JohnDar

Oddly, the screw holes for my missing clips were already there.

klp605

Pardon my ignorance (maybe we have been lucky), but what is an Anderson valve cartridge? I'm a firm believer in it is better to have and not need then to need and not have.

danemayer

Pardon my ignorance (maybe we have been lucky), but what is an Anderson valve cartridge? I'm a firm believer in it is better to have and not need then to need and not have.

Here's a link to several documents that will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the Anderson Valve.