Kitchen water faucet problem

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
This morning we started haveing a problem with the kitchen water faucet. We have been on the same site for 3 weeks, no change in water pressure, shower and bathroom vanity faucet work fine. Here is the issue, when you turn on the water faucet full you get a knocking and the water flow gets very low. The knocking is so strong that it shakes the faucet arm. You can turn the faucet on low, maybe 1/4 flow and it works OK but if you increase to about 3/4 flow it will start the knocking. Same for either hot or cold water. I guess it is something with the faucet itself but I've never seen a problem like this before. Anyone have any ideas on how to correct this?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if you have the same type faucet as ours, but have you taken it appart to clean it? If you take the faucet head off of the retracting hose, there is a sort of check valve/flow restrictor in there. Check for any debris that might have made it in there. Also check the filer on the oulet side of the head.
Hope this helps.

Peace
Dave

Jellystone

Have you checked your "soft" incoming hot/cold water lines under the sink going to faucet? There could be a kink or bend that is limiting flow pressure to faucet. Possibly a trash can or cleaning supply bucket has these lines in a bind. ????

NWTFHunter

I have checked the water lines and they are OK. Also opened up the faucet to check for debris and everything looked fine. Put everything back together and no change to knocking problem.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mike, sounds like either air in the lines our maybe the pressure regulator. We have a regulator on our home take a dive and the only place we had the knocking noise was in our bedroom. It was the farthest from the water inlet to the house. Soooo maybe thats what is going on. Bob

wdk450

We have had the same faucet problem intermittently since day one. I have removed the restricter in the hose trying to get a better flow, but that hasn't fixed it. I believe that there is some debris in the water line(s) that gets flushed up to a restriction point with high water flows, and drops back down into the pipes/tubing with gravity when the flow stops. I would like to take off the hoses some day, blow compressed air from the faucet has backwards into the valve and connections, and apply water pressure while the supply hose ends are in a bucket, so they get flushed out.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Here is what I found to be the problem with our faucet. These pictures show the inner workings of the big brass valve under all the pretty shiny parts. There are 3 copper tubes coming out of the bottom of the valve. Two of them are the hot & cold supply and the 3rd is the one that connects to the flex hose going up to the faucet. inside of this copper tube is a rubber flexible restricter that gets junk in it. I cut the restriction out leaving the "flanged" part intact as it acts as a spacer/seal. Reassemle the works and you'll be good to go. It's a real PITA to disassemble.

Attachments

• 100_0473..JPG
    100_0473..JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 100_0472..JPG
    100_0472..JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 69

wdk450

Ray:
Thanks for the great pictures and fix info. Can the sprayer hose copper line be disconnected while the fixture is still mounted over the sink? This could save a lot of other disassembly, although I understand you would have to be working in a cramped space under the sink.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray:
Thanks for the great pictures and fix info. Can the sprayer hose copper line be disconnected while the fixture is still mounted over the sink? This could save a lot of other disassembly, although I understand you would have to be working in a cramped space under the sink.
I think it would be impossible to disassemble the thing under the sink. It only takes a few minutes to remove it from the counter top.

NWTFHunter

After a local RV repair tech told me he had never seen this problem before but suggested replacing the internal valve cartridge. I did that and it did not help. I solved the problem by replacing the faucet with a new one. Problem solved.