Land gear question on 2008 big country

I noticed lately I have been having trouble lifting my camper sometimes depends on how high it is and how much weight I have in the front the front landing gear is real slow not sure if they all are or not and when it gets to a curtain point where it can't pick anymore it just clicks I can't get it up high enough to hook up?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'll hazard a guess that they're electric and you're trying to lift without being connected to either shore power or the truck. Sounds like a weak battery in the rig. Try connecting to your truck (engine running) or shore power when lifting.

If that doesn't work, there should be an access hole where you insert a manual crank rod. It may require effort, but unless the gear box is out of whack, you should be able to operate them.

Gary521

The clicking is the clutch slipping. This probably is from the legs binding. The main culprit is the lack of lubrication on the central jack screw. There are posts on how to do this.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My friend had the same exact problem a while back. After changing the motor and gear box it still did it. So we started digging in deeper to the problem and found his curb side jack (the one motor and gearbox on it) had a bent worm gear inside. He put a new leg and it works perfectly now.
So now what leg is it ?
First leave your drop feet all the way up/in then lower your jacks down until you hear it starting to struggle. Then go back up a bit. Next disconnect the cross bar that goes across from 1 jack to the other. Now run the motor down again if it still sounds like it's struggling it's that curbside jack if it's going easy with no struggle then it's tho other jack.
Lippert can send you a new jack.
They had 3 sizes to pick from and none of them match his leg exactly but it was close. He installed the new leg and everything is working perfectly now.

Hope this make sense I just typed this without my glasses on. LOL
Is you need and help figuring it out let me know.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Well it's electric over hydraulic right? Anyways it would be fine then it wouldn't. I thought maybe bc I had it loaded with water and luggage so before I look off I didn't fill it but now that I used water while camping and the shower I added weight it lifted and inch maybe then just acted like the battery was dead and the noise I heard I thought was just it releaving it's self bc it was to heavy. So I said screw it went to put the manual crank on it spun it once and the shaft bound got looking closer and where the motor sits around the landing gear behind the hydraulic pump the plastic tabs looked broke and the hold motor was just spinning in a circle if that makes sense

jnbhobe

Sounds like someone extended the jacks too far and broke the tabs off the gear reduction box. Your jacks are 12V not hydraulic. You should lube the jacks and top gears also, then paint lines for high and low extension.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes that is exactly what his did. He has a 2008 Big horn also.
You have Electric jacks. Each leg is rated at 4000lbs with 1 drive motor that's 8000lbs you are not even half of that up there so after you replace the bad jack you wont have to worry about what you have loaded in it of to much water. I think his new leg was about $200 make sure you get the new reduction box to as you said your tabs have broken off. I did not see his new parts so I don't know if the new leg came with the box on it.

th

LC333966_16_1000.jpg

Ok I was just wonder bc I do have a little hydraulic tank I thought it was this has only been my second time out with it so I'm still new and learning thank you guys for working with me here..so it's looking like I need a new reduction box? Or at least that part looks like you can possible buy parts for those ..what I did is I had a bottle Jack with me so order for me to get it on the truck I had to run back and forth till I got it high enough but on my way home I drop it right off to the dealer they are normally pretty good to me I just couldn't keep trying to pick it with jacks the way I did and needed to get it off my truck but i am just intrestered in what I'm getting into here.

I appreciate you talking to me here. now I do I know it's the leg and the reduction box just didn't break where's the best place to get one?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your landing gear is made by Venture manufacturing. Follow this link for parts and information. [LINK]
Be sure to be hitched up when doing any work on your landing gear.
If you can turn a wrench you can fix it yourself.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The hydraulic tank is for your slide-outs, and does not have a connection to the jacks. Earlier, you said that you could not raise it high enough to get it on the hitch. If that's the case, you should crib under the frame, both sides just behind the jacks as close to the height of the frame as possible, then lower it to the cribbing. If the jacks are totally inoperable, you may need to use hydraulic jacks under the frame (again, both sides at the same time) to lift, the position the cribbing. Heavy duty jack stands could also be used if there is enough clearance.

When I replaced my jacks with the Ground Control system, I raised the rig up higher than usual, cribbed with 4x4 pads, then lowered onto them. That way I didn't have the truck in my face while working in the compartment. Fortunately for me, the OEM jacks were still functioning.

Perfect thanks for the heads up and link for parts. Now I'm wondering if the legs were bent some how wouldn't the jacks inside bind somewhere I pull the pin they will drop right out I'm thinking maybe the previous went out to far or in and it tried to keep going and broke the tabs ever sense I had it like I said I couldn't get it to pick right

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ya if it were me I would use a good stack of blocks on both sides and get the truck out of your way.
Then once you remove the cross bar, and the wires. (take a picture of your wires so you get them hooked back up right) his were reversed so he just put them back that way. If there wrong up will be down and down will be up :(
Remove the 2 pinch bouts on the morning clamps. Pull the pin on the foot pad and pull the leg out. That was for the curb si leg with the motor and gearbox on it.
That's the one I think it's going to be.
On the reinstallation make sure both legs have the same amount of inner tube sticking down (let say if you have 4" sticking out on 1 leg you want to get the other at 4" also before you reconnect the cross bar.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The clicking could be one of the cross bar bolts hitting as it rotates. Mine does it sometimes.