Landing gear/auto leveler not working

BruceV

Hi - this is my first post and would like to figure this issue out quickly as we are heading for South Texas for the winter in 2 days.

Here's the issue: Our 2015 Heartland Bighorn has been winterized and in storage for 2 months. I went today to bring it home in anticipation of leaving. When I got to the storage area I discovered that I had not turned the battery disconnect switches and the batteries were dead. I hooked up truck power and was able to get the port side landing gear up. Just as the starboard side foot started to lift everything quit. I was able to get the unit home as the starboard foot was about 2 inches off the deck. After plugging into shore power the batteries would not charge and the landing gear still do not work. (up or down) I killed truck power, battery power and shore power for an hour hoping something would reset. No luck. I have noticed that when I have the battery switches turned to the "live" position there are three lights lit on the auto leveler box and it is making a humming noise. So that's the problem. Batteries won't charge, nothing works from 12 volt. I checked all fuses and breakers and all is good.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help I can get.

BruceV - Cambridge, Wisconsin

danemayer

Hi BruceV,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You have some 12V DC Mini-circuit Breakers near the batteries. They may be covered by a red rubber boot. One of them connects the Power Converter to the Batteries so that when plugged into shore power, the batteries get charged, and so the batteries can supply power to the 12V lights and internal appliances when not on shore power.

The hydraulics are powered through another 12V DC mini-circuit breaker, but you need a pretty good charge on the batteries to power the hydraulic pump.

I've attached a couple of pictures to help you identify the breaker in question. There's a teeny tiny reset button on the edge that when pressed, should restore the power connection so the batteries can charge.

We also have a 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide that you might find helpful. And if you have a residential refrigerator, the block diagram in that guide is probably closer to what you have.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 42
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 36

BruceV

Thanks for the information, Dan. It is dark and cold here so I will go back outside tomorrow morning and see if I can find that little reset switch. I think I will also wheel my battery charger out and get a full charge on the batteries. If I don't figure it out I will have to manually raise that leg and head south. We are supposed to check in with the dealer in Texas for a warranty check and I will let them figure it out. Thanks again.

Bruce

happykraut

As cold as it has been in Wisconsin, it's probably not a good idea to leave the battery in your RV without running power to it. Once the battery discharges it can freeze and it may have suffered some. I remove mine every year and store it in the garage on a board and then trickle charge it occasionally. When we get ready to go to Texas for the winter I give it a full charge and head for the storage yard.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Low battery voltage when trying to run high amp draw things will trip breakers every time.

Ladiver

My landing gear has been doing something odd too. When I raise or lower it, the system seems to pull too much power and shut down. It will make an audible click a few seconds later and you can raise/lower again for a few seconds. It seems as though I have to go through 3 or 4 shutdowns just to get the front jacks up or down.

BruceV, have you let the system shut down and try again a few seconds later?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ladiver, it sounds like you should probably replace the 50 amp auto reset breaker that protects the hydraulic electrical system.

Peace
Dave

DougS

Doug S
I agree with Dave, sounds like a fuse. I replace mine once or twice a year. The 50 amp fuse is sometimes hard to find, I think most NAPA stores carry them. I usually carry a spare or two.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Why keep replacing fuses. Get a auto reset circuit breaker and install it where the fuse goes. Napa has them also.

Ladiver

Thanks Dave, Doug and Bob. I will be picking up a few 50A and 30A auto reset breakers. I did see some other posts that mentioned this. Thanks. I love this forum!