Landing Gear Died

Mariposa

springs, again

My next project is the springs and hangers. Again.

I turned, too sharp, some where, between California and Texas. (May-be)
I bent the spring hangers.
Springs leafs no longer line up.
A large hammer might fix that.
Question is how sharp of a turn is TOO sharp for the Big Horn?
Not a very good advertisement in the RV park.
The Eagle Ridge down the way has the automatic awning laying on the ground after a big wind went through.
Bob

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, here is something to consider. A while back I was talking to a guy that owns a spring shop. He told me that if the leafs are not in allignment, to loosen the U-bolts and then get them in allignment. Have you ever checked the torque on your U-bolt nuts? It is possible that if your U-bolts were loose, the springs may have shifted and bent the hangers. Just a thought on a possible cause and a way to allign the springs. Oh, and let me be clear that I am in no way, shape or form a suspension expert. My wife tells me I know absolutley nothing, and even less about springs.

Peace
Dave

lwmcguir

Great point on the torque on the U-bolts. All of our were loose however the spring leafs didn't move. The hangers are so light they could bend in the wind. You should be able to drag the tires if you had to and not bend the hangers. That is an area where another 1/8 inch of additional iron is badly needed.

lwmcguir

The spring hangers are so light they could bend in the wind. Another 1/8 or so of metal is needed. We installed the Trail Air to beef up the light weight hangers. You should be able to slide the wheels (not make it a practice) without worrying about bending hangers.