Landing Gear - failed for the second time in 3 years. looking for options

wdk450

I am pretty sure neither Lippert or Heartland builds the non-hydraulic landing gear from scratch. The gear is from a supplier called Venture (although Stromberg-Carlson and Domar make almost identical units - note the weld support points are located at different places on the legs with the other brands). You know, besides rebuilding the leg and lubricating the threaded shaft, I probably make out because I have 4 batteries tied together (for my inverter), and try to be plugged in and let the converter supply the big currents the legs need as much as possible. If you drill grease access holes, I would use spray grease (with the spray tube) to get it on the threaded rod. There is just too much dead space inside the square tubing to try to fill it with grease, although the grease needle would work if it is long enough to reach the threaded rod from outside the leg.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Well I thought I would provide an update to my saga of Lippert Landing gear on my 2010 Cyclone 3010; My rebuild ended up failing within weeks of completing. I have not determined yet what caused the secondary failure and I only today replaced the lead leg with one I got from Jammie Walker ( PA Chapter Leader ) he had gotten from another Heartlander who upgraded to a 6 point level-up system. But I was able to make the faulty leg work while I waited for Duane ( Porthole ) and Debbie to ferry the replacement legs up from the PA Rally and stop at my house as they passed through Mass on their way to "dog camp" in New Hampshire. I will be once again attempt rebuilding the original leg to be used in a dual motor configuration ( also thanks to Duane who still had his original motor from his 6 point level-up upgrade.)

I will say that I am getting good about removing and installing these legs out of my cyclone as it only took me about 3 hours to do the job this time start to finish. I hope that I will have enough time to completely forget how it is done going forward and never have cause to remove my lead leg again!

Thanks again to the aid of the Heartland community, for your advice, support, spare parts and delivery services ... I've said it before, but I Will say it again .... You Guys ROCK!

Kevin

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Kevin, I think that was our old leg you got from Jamie! Hope it works out for you! (We actually went with the Ground Control system, something you might consider!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Kevin, I think that was our old leg you got from Jamie! Hope it works out for you! (We actually went with the Ground Control system, something you might consider!)

You are correct. It's the gift that keeps on giving...or is it called "regifting"

Hopefully it is Ground Control for us next year, if the wife will let me spend any more money.

recumbent615

Erica and Tony,

Thank you for starting the process that in the end provided me with the extra parts to go dual motor when combined with Duane's original Motor... I'm hoping to get the project completed this winter ( the complete rebuild of my old lead leg ) and marry the all the parts for a spring install of the second motorized leg...

Kevin

recumbent615

Kevin, using two motors, will you be able to utilize the cross bar - as a backup?

Duane,

no the dual motor eliminates the cross bar since the motors are independently controlled. Although, I was/am looking at a wiring that may use a relay to power both motors at the same time, the issue of why the MFG says each motor requires it's own switch is because of the current limitations on the switch. I can get a relay that can handle the high amps and draw directly off the battery with heavier gauge wire. something for me to think about. But even if I power them both together I'm not sure the bar could be used since there is no clutch that would allow the motor to free spin - I would keep the bar in the rig to reinstall if needed though remove a motor and install the bar - back to one motor in
a few simple steps ...

porthole

Retired
I use a marine grade solenoid for my trucks air compressor, HD and would be a sure bet for those two motors, with some decent wiring to boot.

No doubt the wiring there now is just sufficient for the application.
When my level up was tripping the breaker I solved the issue with replacing the cables. Had a bunch of marine grade 2 gauge left over from my cart project, so that's what the pump got.

Too bad you were not closer.