Landing Gear Malfunction

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Well, we are hitched-up since last night so we could get an early start, 6 a.m., in the morning. While retracting the front landing gear, the switch stopped working. We did a preliminary check for burned fuses and all looked good. I pressed the switch again, to lower the trailer and put weight back on the truck, and it seemed to "unbind" the landing gear, and it worked for a short while again, then stopped. Hubby almost wanted to cancel the trip, but I encouraged him to use the manual crank. That went alot quicker than we anticipated. Now, we are at the campsite and he cranked it again. After we were all setup, he got in the front compartment and found that there is a plug behind the switch. He jiggled it, pushed it in to the max, and the landing gear worked. The only thing we can guesstimate is that the plug worked loose from road vibration over time. IS THERE A FUSE for this switch anyway? If this happens again, maybe we should replace the switch, because it has been sticking in either direction (extend or retract) for some time now. Always something needing our attention, isn't there? The price we pay for having fun at what we love to do!:rolleyes:

porthole

Retired
You might find a fuse within a couple feet of that switch, just follow the wiring from the switch towards the battery buss bar

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you decide to replace the switch, I've got one that's been gently used and can be had for the USPS shipping. As for a fuse, I didn't find one when I removed my OEM jacks and installed the Ground Control ones.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Goldenbetty, you may not have a fuse but there should be a breaker. In the front storage compartment, on the wall just behind the battery, look for some RED rubber thingys. There should be 5 of them maybe 6. These red things are caps that cover the lugs for the breakers that are under them. One of these is a breaker for your landing gear. Feel along the side of these breakers for a little button sticking out. Press that button and you should be good to go. Sometimes the breaker is an automatic reset type breaker. This may be the case for yours.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Thanks everyone for your input. This is great to know for the future. It is working at the moment ever since hubby found the plug-in and pushed it in to the max. Therefore, it is not a fuse, but I'm glad to know all of the information that all of you have provided. John, I will let you know about the switch too. Thank you so much for the offer. I am seriously considering it when we get back home, so please keep it until then.

ATEE

NekidBOMBer
We had been blowing fuses on a regular basis for quite some time. Ours is located, as someone said, a few feet from the switch almost behind the battery.

Our problem is fixed now, but for clarification I'll let you know what happened. As I said we had been blowing fuses on a regular basis. I have been carrying a box or two of extra fuses, I so wish it was a circuit breaker. We planned a trip to Yellowstone for over a year and were thinking about going for over 6 years before that. Where DW works time off can be hard to get and extended time off is just unheard of. We left about a day early, because she got off after about half a day, and we started out. We made it to a state park about 8 hours from home and decided to spend the night. The landing gear worked flawlessly when we set-up. The next morning we started getting ready to go and within seconds the first fuse snapped. Then the second fuse of the day snapped, I got out the hand crank. It was very hard to crank, eventually it wouldn't work at all. I had to really horse on it, eventually it snapped. The gear broke internally. By now I'm ready to throw a fit. Our 5er has been in our possession less than a year. This is our 2nd 5er and we are accustomed to, "stuff will go wrong" when traveling. I ended up having to jack the truck up to get the pressure off the legs to raise the lower parts of the landing gear enough to clear the ground. In the meantime... DW got out our stuff that came with the 5er. We were successful in getting the name of a Heartland dealer in Caldwell ID to attempt a fix. DW contacted someone at Heartland, i have crs but she would remember the name, this guy was nothing short of awesome. He worked with the dealer to let them know we were coming. The dealer found us a guy who would fix the landing gear the next day, Saturday, as the shop was closed. Then we found out UPS was going to let us down. They don't deliver in Caldwell ID on Saturday, big brown really let us down after all the work the folks at Nelson's and Heartland had done. They then made arrangements to send the parts to our dealer, Guaranty RV in Junction City OR. At that point I was ready to bag the trip. There was no way I was going to drag a 5er through Yellowstone every day we had planned to be there. Luckily the DWs cooler head prevailed. We continued to the RV park at West Yellowstone MT. I had called the park and let them know I couldn't disconnect the truck from the trailer. The folks at "Hideaway RV Park" totally helped us out too, they got us to a space where we could leave the truck and trailer connected and not hamper their operation. We did rent a car for "touring" the park, that too worked out in the long run, we paid about half what we would have for fuel with the unloaded truck if it had been available. After paying for the car rental we only paid a little more overall. When we came home we drove straight to Guaranty RV in Junction City and they took it in and handled the whole thing.

navyAZ1

After all the trouble I've had with the electric landing gear over the years, I am sooooooo happy that I got the hydraulic landing gear installed while in Goshen for the Rally. WOW what a difference!!!!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
After all the trouble I've had with the electric landing gear over the years, I am sooooooo happy that I got the hydraulic landing gear installed while in Goshen for the Rally. WOW what a difference!!!!
While I never had any issues with our factory gear, I had the hydraulics installed in Goshen as well. My reason was to save time and the hassle of using the JT Stabilizers. I can say, Problem Solved!!! Love them hydraulic legs...

wdk450

Gang:
A better fix for loose electrical male/female connectors that shake loose is to run a bead of RVers Goop across an outside surface of the connector to hold them together. The elastometric (rubberized, stretchy) adhesive holds well, yet is easy to peel off if you need to disconnect the connectors.

StevenJ

Sooooooooo., you can put hydraulic levelers installed on a older unit, I have a 2008 Bighorn 3600RL???? and wherebdo you get them?:p