Landing gear question (Sundance)

KenJ

Hello,

Recently purchased a 2011 Sundance from a dealer. Very clean and seemed to be in excellent condition so I didn't buy a service contract. On our maiden trip we had a problem with the landing gear blowing a 30A fuse. Had to manually crank up off the hitch. Replaced the fuse and the landing gear lowered the legs but blew out again once weight was on the feet. Every time I tried to raise the trailer the fuse would blow.

Dealer said I need a need a new motor. $300.00 part,+ $200.00 labor. Does this sound reasonable? What really upsets me is the dealer said they spend eight hours pre inspecting before I took the trailer off the lot. During the first trip we found numerous little things needing to be addressed so I don't really think they went through the trailer that thoroughly. Probably nothing I can do except pay this exorbitant fee.

Any suggestions ?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Try going online to Venture Products. They made the original electric jacks and I believe you can buy parts direct. Another fix was to install a larger, resettable breaker in the system. Either a 50A or even 80A one. A guide may be in the Tools section at the top of the forum page.

Another reason for blowing fuses is a weak battery. Try operating the jacks while still plugged into your truck.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Take out the 30 amp fuse....take it with to any auto parts store and get a 50 amp self resetting circuit breaker of the same size. Most of the time the fuse blows when raising the legs TOO high. You should mark the main legs so you do not raise them too high.

X2 on what John said.

GOTTOYS

Hello,

Recently purchased a 2011 Sundance from a dealer. Very clean and seemed to be in excellent condition so I didn't buy a service contract. On our maiden trip we had a problem with the landing gear blowing a 30A fuse. Had to manually crank up off the hitch. Replaced the fuse and the landing gear lowered the legs but blew out again once weight was on the feet. Every time I tried to raise the trailer the fuse would blow.

Dealer said I need a need a new motor. $300.00 part,+ $200.00 labor. Does this sound reasonable? What really upsets me is the dealer said they spend eight hours pre inspecting before I took the trailer off the lot. During the first trip we found numerous little things needing to be addressed so I don't really think they went through the trailer that thoroughly. Probably nothing I can do except pay this exorbitant fee.

Any suggestions ?
Try the circuit breaker first, then try greasing the legs. If they are easy to crank by hand then they are okay. A new moror online is under $100.00 and it takes about 15 minutes to install. All the info on how to do that is on You Tube...Oh...and find a new place to get your repairs done...

KenJ

Thanks so much, your responses may have saved me a lot of money. I am going to see if I can get some satisfaction from the dealer. It is Saturday today and service is closed but the dealership manger may be there. I will see if I can take my trailer off the lot before work is done. They said they had to order the part as they had none on hand but they will probably charge their $125.00 minimum hourly rate they will claim they spent on diagnosis.

Thanks again.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
GOTTOYS is correct in that it is an easy job although depending on your mechanical ability it may take a little more than 15 minutes. I've done it a couple of times.
Just be sure that you are securely hitched to your truck before attempting to work on the landing gear.

If you need a new motor or gear box here is a link to a bunch of them on ebay. [LINK]

Peace
Dave

KenJ

Thanks cookie,

Yes I'm sure I can do the job and will be hooked up to the truck.

Thank you very much for the LINK