Landmark 365 Syracuse vs Bighorn 3160

We are looking at purchasing our full time unit, as we will be retiring next yr. We have owned a variety of camping units over the yrs and have settled on a 5th wheel for full timing. Want a 35 ft unit to be able to get into state parks, forest campgrounds, etc. Wondering about the differences between these two units. Thanks in advance for the guidance.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Enterprise and welcome to this great forum. Lots of great information and lots of great people here willing to share.
While there are some differences in the floor plans of the two units you are asking about they are built at the same production plant.
Both units are of the same basic construction with the Landmark having a little more bling and some different options.
Note that the floor plans are a bit different and you can follow these links, highlighted in blue, to see the differences.
Landmark Syracuse and Bighorn 3160Elite.

Peace
Dave

Gary521

The Bighorn 3270 is almost the same design as the Landmark. The 3160 does not have a king bed.

We are looking at purchasing our full time unit, as we will be retiring next yr. We have owned a variety of camping units over the yrs and have settled on a 5th wheel for full timing. Want a 35 ft unit to be able to get into state parks, forest campgrounds, etc. Wondering about the differences between these two units. Thanks in advance for the guidance.
Thanks for replies, I guess it will come down to upgrading Bighorn with options/cost and cost of Syracuse vs the couple of others we have thought about.
We have been researching for a yr or so an toured many a 5th wheel. Heading to Elkhart in June to tour a couple of plants to see if helps us decide-Jayco, Heartland, Grand design, Cedar Creek. Need to make the reservations yet at these places. Any pointers? Thoughts?
thanks

Gary521

We did the same thing before we bought our first 5th wheel. While it is all interesting, I honestly think it will not help you decide.

danemayer

Here's a list of Landmark 365 features that set it apart from Bighorn. It's a bit over a year old, so there may have been changes on both the LM 365 and the Bighorn side. It's from this thread.

The items that are different are as follows:

exterior paint - energy efficient.
white a/C's vs black to reflect heat
all LED exterior lights
8k axles and 17.5" Goodyear tires
straight roof line
lower first step entry steps
slam latch bulk head storage door
offdoor slide controls / level-up
custom personalized LED Welcome or Name Plate
Culligan water filtration system
privacy window trim
legless dinette table
oversized dinette chairs (2)
pop up USB/ 110 outlet in buffet
solid surface buffet top
Waveland Furnitire Collection
9 - 110 outlets in main living area
double sided island / dishwasher ready
two way silverware drawer
hidden access to back of sink
13 gallon trash can
single bowl farmhouse sink
cutting boards on back of sink covers
metal magazine rack
metal spice rack
two metal grab interior grab handles
47" LED TV with hidden storage behind
all drawers that pull out are solid maple
all LED interior lights except dinette/sconces
7'-3" slide heights
8'-2" ceiling heights in main cabin
motorhome tray ceiling look and feel
convection microwave standard
22 cu ft residential refer standard
induction cooktop standard
power management standard
gen prep standard
surge protection standard
solid surface sofa tables w storage
step stool standard
solid surface CPAP compaitble nightstands
110/USB outlets on both sides of bedbase
two large drawers under bedbase
bedbase on struts for additional storage under bed
Waveland Sleep System - mattress and box spring
hidden 32" bedroom TV behind decorative 2-way mirror
windows in almost every bathroom
oversized vanity mirror w residential sconces ( most floor plans )
Shaw residential carpet w 2X stain master protection
large, unobstructed closet w cedar shelves
residential essentials package:
Moen kitchen faucet
Moen bath faucet
Moen shower head
Dometic 320 toilet ( except front bath in newport )
2-15,000 BTU A/C's standard
insulated front and rear cap
additional floor insulation inside frame
solid surface backsplash w brick pattern
designated slot for sink and stove covers
designated peg drawer for dish storage
Power cord reel standard
2 year Warranty vs 1 year

optional 3rd 15,000 BTU A/C
optional Dishwasher
6 full body paint options to match any truck

DougS

Doug S

We just went through the same decision that you seem to be going through. We were considering the LM Syracuse, BH 3270 RS or the BH 3160 EL. We elected to go with the BH 3160 EL for several reasons but mainly because we also go to several Federal and state parks throughout the year and with the residential refrigerator, your power is limited. With the new standard 18 cu. foot propane/electric refrigerator we have more then enough room. We have been to some NP's that limit generator times and we don't want to have to run back to RV just to charge the battery. We also did not want the corner shower or the second bathroom door that opens into the bedroom. The queen size bed does not matter to us and we would probably elect to go for queen over the king in any units. We believe the space between the dinette table and wall is slightly bigger in the 3160 allowing for an arm rest on the theater seating. This may not seem like a big thing, but we spend most of our time in this area.
The 2016 BH 3160 EL, has several new features like the higher ceiling in the sofa slide out, straight line roof, and four enterence steps. Also many options can be added if you want. We elected for: fireplace, convection oven, no vinyl in front of sofa, cofered ceiling, full body paint, level up system, power electric reel, and metal cover over awning.
Some items we do miss from our 2011 LM are: walls in LR can not be brought in seperate by a switch and window dressings for more privacy. We can live with walls coming in seperate and we added our own window dressings.
As for reduced size, over our LM, we have plenty of room for our 2 months a year trips and our many 1 week trips, but the shorter length makes a big difference in towing and parking.
Go luck on your decision, but which ever HL model you decide on, they are great units and the rally's are a lot of fun.

Thanks to all for your replies. Lots to think about. Wish the LM had a medicine cabinet, hard to figure out where to keep toothbrush when there is no medicine cabinet.

SNOKING

Thanks to all for your replies. Lots to think about. Wish the LM had a medicine cabinet, hard to figure out where to keep toothbrush when there is no medicine cabinet.

A lot of the things on Dan and Ann's list are now of our Bighorn with King of the Mountain and Premier packages. If we could have lived with the queen bed we most likely would have purchased a 3160 over the 3270 based on the shower. Both the LM and the 3270 have the smaller curved shower stall vs the larger rectangle one in the 3160 and the 3575el we bought.

The 3575el was a compromise length wise as we also wanted to stay around 35-36 foot. However to get the things inside we wanted we agree to go 39'3" long. We mostly sunbird and snowbird with it, and may end up full timing for a few years. We love the theater seating, with the included USB charging station in the center console. And we wanted the butler pantry counter to the front of the kitchen.

We are going to have to work on the hind-a-bed as it is not very comfortable to sit on. Going to see if we can move it out a couple inches to let the backrest angle back a bit more and remove some of the back cushion stuffing.

Chris

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
My understanding is that the cabinetry style and finish between the 2016 Landmark 365 and Big Country lines are the same. I see the Big Country 3150RL has a similar bathroom, maybe if you order your unit, you can have them put the medicine cabinet from the BC 3150RL in place of the Landmark's. Or have your dealer order the parts and make the changeout for you.

phoca_thumb_l_2016 LM Syracuse19.jpg
Landmark

phoca_thumb_l_2016 BC 3150 RL 17.jpg
Big Country

Last edited:

kdubinwa

We are going to have to work on the hind-a-bed as it is not very comfortable to sit on. Going to see if we can move it out a couple inches to let the backrest angle back a bit more and remove some of the back cushion stuffing.

Chris

Please let us know the results. That sofa is the most upright and narrow seating surface I have seen in furnature.

carl.swoyer

What ever you buy go with the Full body automotive paint. Otherwise the gel coat in about two years is going to chalk. My landmark is 4.5 years old and still looks like new

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !

carl.swoyer

My fifth wheels have all been 40 foot and never had a problem with getting into the state parks.dont limit yourself! Get the most you can afford because first time around.

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
What ever you buy go with the Full body automotive paint. Otherwise the gel coat in about two years is going to chalk.

With respect I have to disagree. Our Bighorn is 5 years old and although I can't claim it still looks new (as I have no way of putting a new one next to it to compare) it still looks great. I think a lot of it has to do with the way you care for it. We have talked about the paint option if we should ever find another floor plan we like and purchase a new coach. We have come to the conclusion that if we found one and it had the paint it would not be a deal breaker but is not something we would order it with.

1_oldgoat

This is an interesting thread, my wife and i recently sold our hhome in southern Idaho, we were spending most of our time up north visiting our kids and grandkids so decided to relocate, i was making 6 to 8 trips a year back and forth, a little over 1200 miles each trip, we would stop in Montana and do some fishing once in a while and for the most part that was our travel schedule with a deviation to the Oregon coast once a summer, so now with our home sold we are relocateing to North Idaho where the family is and we can now take off to different locations.
We found a new home, downsizing is always fun, seems like my stuff gets removed and the wife keeps all her things, sure thats the norm!! I have a new 40x60 shop i can park the fifth wheel in which is really nice, so, on to my delima.
We have a 2014 Gateway 3500RE, incredible rv, it is really the best rig we have ever owned over the years and we have had several but it is jot designed tto be lived in or full timing, so since we are close to the kids and grandkids now, i can finaly go to Arizona to get out of the snow for a few months every winter, so i have been looking at the Landmarks and Bighorns, not sure which way to go yet, it took me 6 months to pull the trigger when i bought the Gateway so will probably be doing some serrious searching and looking before i make a decesion on the new rv, i know whatever i end up with, it will be a Heartland product.

shrode

Greetings from Austin TX. I am a newbie to 5ers, but also interested in 35 footers for all the reasons posted here. We're in the early research stage right now, simply trying to absorb all of the apsects of hauling a 35' load behind a 22' TV. Both the Landmark 365 Syracuse and Bighorn 3160EL have caught my eye and are in my probably overly detailed spreadsheet :). The most significant thing that I noticed about the 365 was the weight...it is extremely heavy for a trailer in this size class. You are well into Dually territory with this unit, which eliminates it from our options given our TV: 2016 Chevy 3500 CC SRW 4x4 LWB Duramax.

Last edited: