Landmark - Carpeted floor damp

TheWolfes

What would cause the carpet on the floor in the cabinet next to the fridge to become damp? It's a little more than damp. You can swipe your hand across the carpet and come out with drops of water.

We've owned our 5th wheel for less than a week. It's a 2016 Landmark Newport.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Re: ATF: Landmark - Carpeted floor damp

Check outside under the area and see if it's leaking water. If next to fridge I would think maybe the ice maker line is leaking and getting into the cabinet. Don't know if you have a vent behind fridge outside, but if so, you could look in there and see ice maker line.

Let us know what you find.

Jim M

FLOYD PHILBROOK

Nevada Chapter Leader

On my Charleston I had same problem and it was water line going to fridge. Floyd

TxCowboy

A suggestion for anyone with an RV that has the center island and the fridge in the slide: Always trace the icemaker water line to ensure that (1) it isn't leaking and (2) it has a shutoff valve so that you can winterize the icemaker.

The shutoff valve in my Key West is behind a wall and under a drawer in the kitchen island. I made sure the walk-thru guy found it and showed it to me during the PDI or I never would have found it. Like me, he thought it was a stupid place to put it (under a drawer and behind a wall) when they could have just put it under the kitchen island sink where the icemaker hose is connected to the cold water line less than 8 inches away.

farside291

Ice maker in the fridge in the slide...not the best idea. Mine has been shut off 2 days after I found it leaking. Put almost a gallon of water in the slide. It was raining at the time so I thoughtbthe slide was leaking!

bobw

As everyone has said already it's most likely the water line to the fridge. I wrote on here over a year ago tha they should have put anaccess door bbehind the fridge.

TheWolfes

Could you maybe take a pic and let me see where it's located... our island doesn't have a wall it's sits in the middle of the floor. Thanks

Birchwood

When our Landmark was new the fridge water line was leaking .If they still use the small plastic tubing its a possibility.After the second leak we upgrade to a shielded water line and no problem since.The plastic tubing develops pin hole leaks

TxCowboy

Could you maybe take a pic and let me see where it's located... our island doesn't have a wall it's sits in the middle of the floor. Thanks

If that question was for me, I'll be at the RV tomorrow. The "wall" I'm referring to is the wall behind the drawers in the kitchen island. One side of the island has drawers and the other holds the trash can. I'll post a picture tomorrow afternoon when Laurie and I get to the RV.

Unless someone else is able to take a picture of that area today... :)

TheWolfes

Thank You!

- - - Updated - - -

Now that explanation I understand. Thanks!

TxCowboy

Here's the pic that I promised. In my case, the icemaker water shutoff in behind the wooden panel on the right side of the picture. You have to remove this panel to get to the cutoff.

Your setup may be different.

Icemaker shutoff behind right hand panel.jpg

ksucats

Jeff: OK, it looks like that panel is 'stapled' in - how did you / do you get it off?

On my Key West it looks like there is a valve under the slide but it is corroded so badly that I hate to try to turn the knob for fear of breaking the line.

FWIW: My coach had a build date of January 2015 and was brought down to KC in February - lots of ice, snow and salt. Apparently the dealership did not wash the underbelly until they cleaned it for our PDI. I didn't even think to try it at that point. Things I missed even with a, what I thought was a complete, checklist.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

You have to remove this panel to get to the cutoff.

Your setup may be different.
Would it have been possible to extend the drawer above the valve and reach it from the top?
Most drawers do not have anything below them.

Peace
Dave

TxCowboy

Cookie, there are three drawers on the other side of panel. If you open all three of these drawers and open the door on the back side of those drawers (the right hand door open in the picture above), you MAY be able to reach the cutoff valve.

My cutoff valve is almost centered under the drawers.

DW just suggested that I just remove the bottom two drawers. I guess that is an option too. :)

TheWolfes

The water dried up and hasn't gotten the carpet wet again. We have know idea where the water came from but since it quit I guess we just wait to see if it gets wet again.

TheWolfes

Yesterday we noticed that the carpet is wet again in the cabinet next to the fridge. We have turned off the ice maker to see if it remains wet. Hoping this will stop the leak.

Bones

Yesterday we noticed that the carpet is wet again in the cabinet next to the fridge. We have turned off the ice maker to see if it remains wet. Hoping this will stop the leak.

Did you turn off the water supply going to the refrigerator? If not you still need to turn the supply off. The hose in the back of the fridge may have a slow leak.

TheWolfes

We talked to the dealer we purchased the LM from and they are going to pull out the refrigerator and add a shut off valve. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks

TxCowboy

We talked to the dealer we purchased the LM from and they are going to pull out the refrigerator and add a shut off valve. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks

Make sure they put the shutoff value where you can get to it WITHOUT having to remove the fridge. You'll need to get to that cutoff to winterize.

ksucats

Following this thread I looked and found that we have a 'shut-off' valve also in the island, under the drawers that hold the silverware and whatever else the wife has stuck in there (of course I've added nothing LOL) . There is also what looks to be a three-way valve under the slide itself - can't call it clear tubing but not really white either -- regardless, it connects to and from that three-way which is corroded beyond belief. When I try to turn it all I do is pull on the tubing - this is supposed to be a low-point drain I guess.

Remember - even if they add a shut-off valve behind the refrigerator you still have water going to (and through) that tubing unless you turn off the main shut-off valve for the refrigerator. If that tubing freezes and bursts you could have a very icy mess.