Landmark chugging while towing

Seren

Interesting topic, but as a freshman (newbie) still taking 100 classes, I happen to step into this class, 412: Advanced Chugging Dynamics. Cool, and I think I understood some of it (hope there is not a test later). So, it sounds like that if you want a smoother ride, especially driving on concrete roads/bridges that airbags would be the first thing to get. True?

2014 Landmark Grand Canyon
2014 Denali 3500 4x4 CC desiel
B&W Companion 22K

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

scottyb

I have towed my rig on long trips both with and w/o air bags. There is no comparison. I think the air bags perfectly complement the 5th Airborne's air cushioning in dampening the chucking. I suppose that it may also keep it off the overload springs. I will take a closer look next time I hitch up.

Gary521

When I first got our rig, the ride was terrible. I added air bags and a Fifth Airborne and the improvment was excellent. Later I got a new truck with different suspension (same brand) but no air bags and still have Fifth Airborne. Ride is exellent. This tells me that it all depends. One solution does not fit all. If you have a short bed or long bed, 3/4 or 1 ton, or different shock package on truck will change need for air bags to help ride. I would start with pin box. Several options here.

Jim.Allison

When the RAM was brand new I found my wife grabbing the handhold when I hit washboard road, or other imperfect surface. I admit is was rough, but it seems to be harder on women. So when I was installing my hitch hardware in preparation for towing my rig, I installed airbags. Even unloaded the ride was 75% better. Highly noticeable. The manufacturer recommends 5 to 10 psi when not loaded, I try to stay at 7.5 lbs according to my digital pressure gage (accuracy? who knows). Just the 7.5 lbs smooths that truck out. 7.5 psi for no other reason than it is between 5 and 10 psi.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Wow . . .

I've been shopping around for a new truck, so I've been following this thread with interest!

While I love my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4, I do realize that it is getting old and tired (163,000 miles), and it is time to plan for the future!

I don't have a 5th-wheel right now, so am looking at a Chevy 1500 that is rated to pull my 8000LB 2013 Heartland Trail Runner!

I have one of the newer GM cars (2010 Chevy Cobalt) that has several recalls on it, and GM is offering a trade-in on it that could make it very beneficial for me!

So I'm very seriously thinking about trading my car in for a new truck . . .

ChevyCobaltInMountainsFront-P2150238.jpg

My car has several recall notices on it and the parts are not available (on order but at least one year out on availability), but I've read that the Chevy trucks have several recalls on them as well, so I'm not sure if I want to take GM up on their offer . . .

I'm kind of pi$$ed at GM, though, as I recently (last week) had the power steering fixed under recall and the dealership forced me pay for half of the repair charges.

This alone makes me not want to ever buy a GM vehicle ever again.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would think that the Mor/Ryde pinbox has the #5 spring in it now because it is a LM. There has been "soup to nuts" discussed here. Not one poster even mentioned that maybe its just a terrible road they were on. Our Horn has been pulled by 3 different GM trucks. The Mor/ryde pinbox was installed by me when the Horn was brand new shiny. Has been a smooth ride ever since.

Well John, your issue is with your dealer...not GM. GM never, ever, makes a customer pay anything for preforming any recall. I would call GM directly (PH# in your owner manual) and discuss this with them. I dont know what recalls are on GM trucks, but my '05, '07 and 2013 has not had any....ever. I have been watching this GM recall with for sometime now and I will tell you and everybody else. What I have seen reported by the moron "talking heads" in the news media and congress is garbage. 1st, if the engine stops running...the brakes and steering still works. Air bags...unless its almost a full frontal collision the airbags will not deploy. If the car slid sideways into a tree....no airbags. All the years I worked in GM dealers as a tech, on the hundreds or even thousands of the vehicles that are now being recalled. I never once saw one of the vehicles do what is discribed now. Never saw one in the body shops either. It is unforunate that some people were killed (13) so they say. But how many were as one young girl. Drunk, speeding on a icy road and not wearing her seatbelt and was thrown out of the car. GM's fault?? Where was the outrage when people were dying driving Fords with Firestone tires. In closing, who's fault will it be when a newer car equiped with brake systems that apply themselves because people are stupid and don't pay attention to what they are doing, crashes and someone gets killed. In our country now...NOT one person is responsible for what THEY do....it's always someone eles fault. All JMHO

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I looked at a 2013 GMC Denali last night . . . what a sweet truck!

It was all I could do to not drive it home!

Bob&Patty

JohnD, yes the Denali's are really nice. I looked at them when I bought my 2013, but I could not justify the extra cost for some extra painted exterior parts and more plastic wood grain stuff inside. BTW, you can buy the wood grain stuff and install it yourself cheaper. Painted bumpers dont like rocks other stuff that kicks up off the roads. A GMC LTZ is the same truck....just not the wood grain on the center consol and around the radio and is $3K cheaper. You can get all the same equipment on a LTZ. I refuse to pay $2K for a radio when my $175 Tom Tom works just fine. I have bought probably 50 GM products in my life time. None have ever left me walking or killed me.

dave10a

I have a fully stock truck and trailer with a TrailAir pin box and 20K reese hitch. I have experience no chucking or towing issues for 20k miles coast to coast while pulling at the truck's max tow rating. Therefor I can offer no suggestions for improvement.

Bob&Patty

The OP has not circled back in 2 days. I wonder if his truck has the "option" of the "camper special" rear suspension. I know of 1 owner (Ford) that insisted his truck have it. That truck was awful to ride in. No matter what you did, the ride did not improve.

Seren

I looked at a 2013 GMC Denali last night . . . what a sweet truck!

It was all I could do to not drive it home!

We have a 2014 Denali 3500 and love it. Have been towing our Landmark through TN and NC the last 2 weeks, just put it in cruise control and turn on the exhaust brakes and let the truck take care of of towing in the mountains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD