Landmark cracked fiberglass and structure problem

I am the owner of a Landmark Key Largo 2015 that I bought brand new. Yesterday while checking my roof, I saw a crack in my fiberglass on top of my kitchen slide-out (driver side). Also a few days ago, I noticed that I had a bulge on the outside wall near my cargo door (passenger side). It is like a part of the structure is trying to come out. It is kind of hard to see on the picture but I will try to get a better shot and post it.

I called my dealer and he told me that the structure warranty on my Landmark is only 3 years. That is strange cause the litterature I got with my Landmark what saying 5 years. Any of you had these king of problem and what was your warranty. thanks

Attachments

• P1040866.jpg
    P1040866.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 176
  • P1040870m.jpg
    P1040870m.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 198
  • P1040869m.jpg
    P1040869m.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 204

danemayer

Heartland has changed the Landmark warranty several times over the past few years. I think around 2013 they bumped the Landmark warranty to 2/5. The 5 was 5 years on the structure with a requirement that you have a dealer inspection annually. There might be a form for that in your trailer manual. When Landmark changed to Landmark 365, I think the 5 got dropped and it was just a 2 year warranty. Recently, a 3 year structural warranty was added.

I have a 2015 LM San Antonio that was built early model year before the 365’s came out. I have the same curb side bulge as you indicate. I know there is frame structure behind the bulge because you can “read” the framework through the fiberglass when the dew is just right. The bulge is at the end of a horizontal frame member that runs along the bottom of the step up and terminates about five feet down the wall just behind and above the basement door. I have towed the trailer about 2500 miles since I noticed the bulge and nothing has changed.

Doug

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I would contact Heartland Customer service (574 262-8030) with you VIN handy and be prepared to send those photos as well as any others they ask for.

Thank you all for your reply. I called back my dealer with my document in hand (5 year warranty). He was kind of surprised. Probably did not sell a whole lot of Landmark FW. He will get in touch with Heartland tomorrow. I will keep you informed. After that, my next move will be to call customer service and take some better pictures of the bulge on my outside wall. We will see if theses guys stand behind their warranty. In the car industry, we saw through the years, manufacturers building better cars and giving us better and longer warranty. But in the RV industry, Landmark went from 5 years to 3 years (2017). Is it because nowadays they are not as well made as the pre 2017. Makes you wonder

danemayer

Thank you all for your reply. I called back my dealer with my document in hand (5 year warranty). He was kind of surprised. Probably did not sell a whole lot of Landmark FW. He will get in touch with Heartland tomorrow. I will keep you informed. After that, my next move will be to call customer service and take some better pictures of the bulge on my outside wall. We will see if theses guys stand behind their warranty. In the car industry, we saw through the years, manufacturers building better cars and giving us better and longer warranty. But in the RV industry, Landmark went from 5 years to 3 years (2017). Is it because nowadays they are not as well made as the pre 2017. Makes you wonder

When the 2/5 warranty was announced, it was widely panned by owners on this forum. Many people didn't like the requirement for an annual dealer inspection. So most probably didn't get inspections done to keep the 5 year structural warranty in force.

I believe Heartland's thinking was that dealer inspections would prevent water leaks originating from caulking and sealant problems, which cause most structural problems. I'd guess with few people getting inspections done, Heartland re-thought the warranty when LM 365 was released.

Heartland may ask you for proof of inspections as per the warranty statement.

brought it to the dealer after my first year for inspection. Delaer told me that he did not even know what they wanted him to look for. I'm also not sure that some water leaking could break loose an aluminium structure and create a crack in a fiberglasss wall. I found this tread https://heartlandowners.org/archive/index.php/t-42875.html
the owner had his fifth wheel for 1 month when the fiberglass started cracking. Hope for the best

- - - Updated - - -

if porthole is right, they probably know how to repair it.........

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Heartland repaired my 2015 Key Largo a month ago because of a crack above the kitchen slide. They did a great job. A unit with full body paint will take about two weeks. It will take about 5 months from Heartland's repair approval to the repair appointment.

Call Heartland Customer Service be ready to email them pictures of the crack.

jbeletti

Hmm this does not speak well for the strength of the frame or unit.
For the few units mentioned below, it's a bad situation. For the majority of the ~10,000 Landmarks on the road, this has not been an issue. Sometimes, things happen (road forces, material changes, production changes etc.) that contribute to matters like this.

If Heartland determines it's something that should not have happened, what they do next is what's most important in these matters. More often than not, we see Heartland stepping up and stepping in to make it right. My hope is that's what happens in the cases mentioned in this thread thus far.

You are probably right JBelliti. But of the ~10,000 units sold, maybe half of them are stationnary in a campground (they don't even own a pickup) and a 1/4 of the rest do less than 1500 miles a year. There is not a lot of people that drive over 2000 miles a year with their 40 foot luxury fifth wheel. I do around 6000-7000 miles a year. So problem that won't happen in other Landmark will happen on mine. But.......this is just my opinion based on 25 years of towing.

dave10a

I have 60,000 towing miles on my unit. I have an air spring pin box to lesson the strain on the frame. I think that may be the main reason I have no cracks caused by frame flex. If Heartland warrents thier trailer while towing with a gooseneck, then I might believe they think the frame is robust engough for travel. Goosenecks put alot of stain on the frame because of the extra leverage. So is Heartland warrenty voided when using a gooseneck?? Also, I would not trust my suspension to survive a trip to Alaska without problems.

danemayer

I have 60,000 towing miles on my unit. I have an Travelair pin box to lesson the strain on the frame. I think that may be the main reason I have no cracks caused by frame flex. If Heartland warrents thier trailer while towing with a gooseneck, then I might believe they think the frame is robust engough for travel. Goosenecks put alot of stain on the frame because of the extra leverage. So is Heartland warrenty voided when using a gooseneck?? Also, I would not trust my suspension to survive a trip to Alaska without problems.

Lippert warrants the frame, not Heartland. Lippert supports using a Reese Goosebox but otherwise will tell you that using a gooseneck voids the Lippert frame warranty. Heartland will probably echo Lippert's position.

I'm 100% with Dave. That is why I installed when it was brand new, a Trailair Air-ride on the Landmark and Firestone air ride on my pickup. the Trailair run at 80 psi and the Firestone run at 75 psi. That is when I get the smoothest ride. Brand new I also installed disk brake. So, you can see that I really take care of my Landmark.

mlpeloquin

brought it to the dealer after my first year for inspection. Delaer told me that he did not even know what they wanted him to look for. I'm also not sure that some water leaking could break loose an aluminium structure and create a crack in a fiberglasss wall. I found this tread https://heartlandowners.org/archive/index.php/t-42875.html
the owner had his fifth wheel for 1 month when the fiberglass started cracking. Hope for the best

- - - Updated - - -

if porthole is right, they probably know how to repair it.........

My Bighorn has the same crack at the top as the second and tired pictures. My RV repair service owner showed me several with the same crack in fifth wheels in his yard by several other manufactures. Nothing structural about that. It is caused by flexing while traveling. He could repair it, but it will just reoccur again. I put some roofing patch over it to keep it water tight. It will eventually work its way to the top. The first picture with the bulge I was shown only one that had that. My RV repair shop owner said that the framing was still in tact and knew because he had opened it up and checked for the owner. I did not like the looks of it though.

Squirlee

Ironically I just posted a similar thread with a crack above my slide on a 2015 Oakmont. Same place as yours.

I think we all realize that our trailers see frame flex as they are towed, turned, and cross uneven pavement. The fiberglass cracks at the corners of slide openings probably are cosmetic and would not represent a frame failure. The bulge in my estimation would indicate frame stress but not necessarily frame failure. The bulge in my San Antonio occurs at the location where my washer and dryer set. Maybe that is a contributing factor. At this point I guess I will call Heartland to let them know and keep monitoring the bulge. My trailer has never been back to the dealer so I realize I have no extended warranty. All I ask is if you see my rig along the highway with the trailer sagging and the front jacks dragging the ground just stop and give me a hand.