Landmark frame cracks

Northern Virginia
I have read numerous accounts of mostly Lippert pin box and frame cracks. A couple weeks ago, I noticed movement on the seam between the off door panel on the overhang and the bull nose trim IMG_2714.jpg. I have read here where Heartland will take care of the issue but only at their plant and there is a long wait. That wasn't really an option for me so I decided to pull off some fiberglass and see what was going on.

I was fearing the worst and quite frankly didn't even want to tow it out of my driveway until I got it fixed. I'll do my best to describe the cracks and have included 2 sets of pictures of the cracks; with gear down and with pin box down (or the trailer hitched)

The pin box welds and tube steel frame are fine. The cracks seem to be where the load is shifting the greatest from gear down to gear up (or hitched) with respect to the fiberglass shell. The cracks are both on the off door side. One is on the angle iron support for the fiberglass shell, all the way forward, at the left corner of the wall panel (under and to the left on the amber running light). I had to pull the front cap back about 6" to get to it. IMG_2720.jpg IMG_2722.jpgIMG_2730.jpgand the other on the 3x3 cross tube above the landing gear (Where I'm pointing with my inspection mirror)IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2732.jpgIMG_2735.jpg

For the front crack, I wanted to remove the angle iron and replace it but that isn't possible. So I had to weld the crack and reinforce the angle with three small gussets. The rear crack is a little trickier. I ran out of time tonight but did get some pieces cut, the area around the weld and crack ground and hope to get it fixed tomorrow. Then comes the fun of rehanging the fiberglass...the front cap is hanging by three nylon straps right nowIMG_2718.jpg

I have also learned a few more things about our rig...the generator compartment aluminum framing was installed backwards...there is no insulation under the bedroom (kinda explains why it gets so cold in there in the fall) and I now know that it is, in fact, possible to fit that diesel generator set in the front compartment.

I'll post more pics tomorrow. Wish me luck with the front cap!

donr827

Nice write up with pictures on your problem. Most people do not have the expertise that you have. I have noticed a large decline it Lippert frame problems over the past year. I think they have redesigned their frames somewhat and adding gussets where necessary.............Don

jnbhobe

Most that I have seen also had the aluminum wall studs broke loose. Mine had more movement in the side walls than yours.

Northern Virginia
...Mine had more movement in the side walls than yours.

I didn't have a lot of movement, I say less than an inch at the seam just below the weight sticker. But it was moving at both ends, which minimized what I observed from the outside.

Most that I have seen also had the aluminum wall studs broke loose...
Based on the tig welding I see on the generator compartment aluminum wall, the aluminum welds could quite possible break from a dirty look...:rolleyes:

jnbhobe

they made their decision on what was bad on mine by looking at the paneling inside the front closet

jdamude

I didn't see anything mentioned in your write up however, I would forward your pictures with your serial number to Heartland customer service and Lippart. I have read where they have looked after these repairs.