Landmark - Generator

Cholo

I have the 5.5 KW generator installed and my Newport has 3 AC's. Shouldn't my generator be the 7.0? According to Cummins/Onan 5.5 is not enough to run 3 AC's not to mention other things on at the same time.

jbeletti

The only generator offered by Heartland in Landmark is the 5.5kw unit (link). It will not run your entire coach. It will produce around 5500 watts of power (45.8 amps x 120 volts) whereas 50 amp shore power is 2 legs of 50 amp power each and can deliver around 12000 watts of power.

On this generator, you will be able to run one Air Conditioner from each leg of generator power - so 2 in total.

To truly match 50 amp shore power in a generator, you'd need something like the RV QD 12500. It runs on diesel and is in the $10,000 range (uninstalled).

Last edited by a moderator:

Cholo

The only generator offered by Heartland in Landmark is the 5.5kw unit (link). It will not run your entire coach. It will produce around 5500 watts of power (45.8 amps x 120 volts) whereas 50 amp shore power is 2 legs of 50 amp power each and can deliver around 12000 watts of power.

On this generator, you will be able to run one Air Conditioner from each leg of generator power - so 2 in total.

To truly match 50 amp shore power in a generator, you'd need something like the RV QD 12500. It runs on diesel and is in the $10,000 range (uninstalled).

Thanks for your post. After careful thought, I realized I bought and paid for a 5.5 KW Onan and that's what I got.

Thanks again.

jbeletti

Thanks for your post. After careful thought, I realized I bought and paid for a 5.5 KW Onan and that's what I got.Thanks again.
And depending on your camping style, it will very likely be all that you will truly need. The ability to run 2 of 3 ACs on gen power is really nice. And with the Power Control System (PCS) automatically juggling most of the heavy AC load items, when you are running on gen and have 2 ACs on and need to use the Microwave or the Dryer etc, the PCS will cut the compressor in one of the ACs to allow the other item to run, then turn the load back on - all automatically :)

Cholo

And depending on your camping style, it will very likely be all that you will truly need. The ability to run 2 of 3 ACs on gen power is really nice.

And with the Power Control System (PCS) automatically juggling most of the heavy AC load items, when you are running on gen and have 2 ACs on and need to use the Microwave or the Dryer etc, the PCS will cut the compressor in one of the ACs to allow the other item to run, then turn the load back on - all automatically :)

Yep! Some day I will learn to engage brain prior to posting! LOL
Tried to think and nothing happened!

jbeletti

Tried to think and nothing happened!

No worries. If you have questions, always ask them and the collective brain trust on the forum will do their best to answer them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richheck

Seasoned Member
Ramon:

According to Jesstlkn you should be able to run all three with your generator. First make sure Heartland installed your 5.5 with two (2) thirty (30) amp breakers, many of the 5.5 generators were installed with only one 30 amp and one 20 amp making them unable to run the ac's correctly.

Here is a link to Jerrods changeover:

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=481847&viewfull=1#post481847

If any additional questions feel free to give Jerrod or myself a call

Rich

Cholo

Ramon:

According to Jesstlkn you should be able to run all three with your generator. First make sure Heartland installed your 5.5 with two (2) thirty (30) amp breakers, many of the 5.5 generators were installed with only one 30 amp and one 20 amp making them unable to run the ac's correctly.

Here is a link to Jerrods changeover:

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=481847&viewfull=1#post481847

If any additional questions feel free to give Jerrod or myself a call

Rich

Thanks Rich.

I took a picture of the label on the gen and compared those numbers with the Cummings/Onan website.
20161104_143750_001.jpg
If I read it correctly, the "1270J" at the end of the model number indicates it has 2 30 amp breakers, (could not find what the J at the end meant). I will check to make sure.
I will be asking a ton of questions!

Ramon

richheck

Seasoned Member
Ramon, from your pictures I see yours is the 1270 model making it two (2) thirty amp circuits. So you should be able to run all three AC's as needed according to Jerrod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

At one place I worked, my boss had a poster behind his desk that said "Be sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear". I usually remember that after I have said something totally stupid. LOL

avvidclif

In the for whatever it's worth dept??? The 5500 Onan and 6500 Onan (newer models not the older stuff) are exactly the same physical size. I would love to find one that didn't cost an arm and leg just to have the extra 1k. Running 3 AC's takes some finagling without the Power Management System.